Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA700 midi control pipe organ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgorin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: PA700 midi control pipe organ Reply with quote

Hello! I would like to pose a possible setup to the more experienced pa700 owners in the forum:

My church has a pipe organ equipped with a Peterson MIDI I/O and I would like to play and control it via MIDI from the PA700. The Peterson accepts sysex msgs via MIDI control for changing registers and other functions. Is it possible for me to create keyboard sets that can do this? Or would I be better off using my Nektar P61 or FCB1010, or some combination to do this?

Ideally, I would like to create keysets or Songbook entries to control the organ by selecting one of the Upper1-4, which would choose an organ registration by sysex and activate a PA700 sound and be able to switch and/or mix the sounds in any combination. I’ll be using CME wireless MIDI to connect the two instruments.

One other question: if I am controlling the pipe organ with the PA700, will transposition change the pipe organ as well?

Many thanks for your responses! Jim
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: PA700 midi control pipe organ Reply with quote

jgorin wrote:
.. pipe organ equipped with a Peterson MIDI I/O and I would like to play and control it via MIDI from the PA700. The Peterson accepts sysex msgs via MIDI control for changing registers ....

It would be more important to obtain experiences from users of the Petersen Midi I/O module or information about its Midi implementation, because the Midi properties of the Pa700 are clearly documented - it selects the registration of external MIDI devices via program changes.

The Pa700 can control the Petersen I/O module via bank select (MSB, LSB) and program changes via different channels, transmits system real-time messages (master volume, transpose messages, FX settings, quarter tone settings) and sends all required Midi messages (volume, expression) according to the Midi implementation chart.

Creating keyboard sets in songbook allows to decide combined Midi usage of internal or external tracks, but to mix audio sounds of its different sources of course requires a mixer/amplifier.

Everything else is because of how Petersen's I/O processes incoming Midi messages. I can't imagine Petersens is controlling register changes via sysex messages. With its MIDIResourceSystem, the type (MSB or LSB) for bank selection was already switched from software v1.68 using a DIP switch for register selection (without sysexs).
The Pa700 and also FCB1010 and Nektar are unsuitable as SysEx generators.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
jgorin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, siebenhirter! You have saved me a lot of "trial and error" time. It is much appreciated! jim
Korg Pa700, Yamaha P-105, Nektar Panorama P6, Reason 9.5, Remote SL61, Godin xtsa Koa electric, Roland GR55, Nova System, Fender Strat, Boss RC30, Fender Jazz 5-string, Peavy 4-string, BG250 bass amp, Bose Compacts (2), JBL EON18 sub, Yamaha Compass acoustic, Dobro, Lap Steel, Vox Pathfinder 15R.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: