Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Sequencer to play Stems/WAVs to different channels?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorgieFan

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Use Sequencer to play Stems/WAVs to different channels? Reply with quote

Can I use the sequencer to load in multiple WAV files to send to different outputs? (Have it mimic a playback system.) In other words have three WAV files each 5 minutes long, one Click WAV, one Bass wav, one stereo guitar wav.

This would be the configuration:

Click Track: Channel 4 output
Bass track: Channel 3 output
Stereo Guitar: Stereo Channels 1-2
Leave L/R channels available to play live keyboards over the playback tracks

Can this be done? (I searched the forum and didn't find anything.)

The part 2 question would be if the above can be done, can I play live on the L/R outputs, and have programmed program changes so I can play different keyboard sounds for different parts of the song?

Thanks so much for any feedback you can give me, it would take me hours and hours to slowly figure out if it can be done on my own. Thank you!
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can achieve that with the sequencer. Load the WAV files as audio events on different tracks in the sequencer audio section. You will keep your MIDI section available for anything you want.

As far as I know, your particular audio routing should be possible but I've only used a single WAV file as a backing track, you would have 3 so it's a little bit more complicated.
CorgieFan

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fomalhaut wrote:
Yes, you can achieve that with the sequencer.

Thanks for the "thumbs-up" encouragement, sounds like it's worth attempting then. If I accomplish that the next challenge will be how to program in sound/program changes for the live midi track as the song wav files play.

If anyone has tips on that please let me know, this has all the makings of spending 10 hours fumbling with guesses and still not having it work right, ha ha. Smile
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely possible - I'm not in front of my Kronos at the moment because it's packed under the bed for when I have a life again. But essentially you can simply load each audio track in the sequencer, then use the IFX -> Audio Routing tab to route each one to a different physical output. You can even assign a different Insert Effect to each track and still route it to a different physical output, should you choose.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do this for backing tracks but in Combi mode.

One thing to be aware of, playing along with the tracks can possibly cause the tracks to stop playing if polyphony limits are reached. (Note Stealing) It happened to me a few times over several years so not often. You can prioritize the tracks in Combi, not sure of SEQ more. I decided to start using tracks with my iPad eliminating any possibility of tracks stopping.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
I used to do this for backing tracks but in Combi mode.

One thing to be aware of, playing along with the tracks can possibly cause the tracks to stop playing if polyphony limits are reached. (Note Stealing) It happened to me a few times over several years so not often. You can prioritize the tracks in Combi, not sure of SEQ more. I decided to start using tracks with my iPad eliminating any possibility of tracks stopping.

Geo

To the best of my knowledge, that shouldn't happen in sequencer mode - but is a very real possibility as you describe if using samples for the same purpose in combi mode. Good thing to point out!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorgieFan wrote:
fomalhaut wrote:
Yes, you can achieve that with the sequencer.

Thanks for the "thumbs-up" encouragement, sounds like it's worth attempting then. If I accomplish that the next challenge will be how to program in sound/program changes for the live midi track as the song wav files play.

If anyone has tips on that please let me know, this has all the makings of spending 10 hours fumbling with guesses and still not having it work right, ha ha. Smile

You can edit the MIDI Events per track and insert individual program changes at the specific measures you need. Or, perhaps, use the SEQ mode as a "Super COMBI mode", in the way that you prepare all your instruments in different MIDI tracks with IFX and so on, but use the Audio section of the sequencer to trigger the backing tracks at the beginning when you hit START, and then during your performance you simply change the MIDI track you are playing in the sequencer so it is up to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: