Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

arranger detecting the wrong chords
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockitman

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: arranger detecting the wrong chords Reply with quote

I am using the arranger and sometimes the left hand detects the wrong chords even when I am very careful about playing simple triads. Has anyone else experienced this? I am on the latest firmware 1.1.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: arranger detecting the wrong chords Reply with quote

Rockitman wrote:
I am using the arranger and sometimes the left hand detects the wrong chords even when I am very careful about playing simple triads. Has anyone else experienced this? I am on the latest firmware 1.1.

yes, i've noticed that too, it's different then on the pa4x. the best way is to disable the inverse bass, and also don't hit notes outside the two octave range to build your chords (voicing technique).

For instance an a-minor chord will go wrong if you play:
A1 - A2 - E3 - C3

It will play correctly if you play:
A2 - E3 - C3
or
A2 - A1 - E3 - C3

Especially the latest chord is odd, because it's the same as the first played chord (A1 - A2 - E3 - C3), so when starting to form a triad with a note started outside that 2 octave range the system will behave strange.
I'm used to it now, but it probably will be fixed (if they know it).
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: arranger detecting the wrong chords Reply with quote

Rockitman wrote:

Hi, are you playing in split mode?
What setting are you using?

I only play in split mode , fairly simple chords maj, 6ths, 7ths, can’t say I’ve had any problems.

I did try what Qui mentioned a while back when he brought it up, without split ,and I had wrong chords playing, just as he noted.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: arranger detecting the wrong chords Reply with quote

rikkisbears wrote:
... without split , and I had wrong chords playing

Rikki , every of 4 KBD Sets in a Style has a independent split point (if not locked) and this is the limit that played chord notes are recognized.
If you disable keybed split and only lower scan is enabled then chord recognition still works under this limit.

If you want to play your fine piano in entire keybed and chord recognition function to calculate all playing notes then you have also to enable
upper scan switch and use primary advanced mode chord recognition.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: arranger detecting the wrong chords Reply with quote

double post

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023

Last edited by rikkisbears on Wed May 10, 2023 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: arranger detecting the wrong chords Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
rikkisbears wrote:

Rikki , every of 4 KBD Sets in a Style has a independent split point (if not locked) and this is the limit that played chord notes are recognized.
If you disable keybed split and only lower scan is enabled then chord recognition still works under this limit.

If you want to play your fine piano in entire keybed and chord recognition function to calculate all playing notes then you have also to enable

Hi Antony,
I should have written in “Advanced mode”, not no split. I wasn’t near my keyboard and couldn’t think of what terminology Korg used. Yamaha call theirs full keyboard if the entire keybed is used. I think at one stage it was pianist mode, unless that was my technics haha. Gets confusing. Didn’t want to use the wrong terminology.😀
I don’t normally use it, but I do know how it works.
Thank you Antony.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: arranger detecting the wrong chords Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
rikkisbears wrote:

cool, that's what I want Smile

where can I find that upper scan switch ? (I couldn't find it on the pa5x)
jbd59

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello , hope you'r kidding Qui ! the 2 buttons are beside each other on the panel Lower , Upper !
Laughing
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Qui, it works. When I checked it for you a couple of weeks back, I must have forgotten to turn on the upper button too , as I got the same result as you.🫢 Checked the different settings, but,
Embarrassing as I supposedly know how it works.🙁

Thanks Antony.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbd59 wrote:
hello , hope you'r kidding Qui ! the 2 buttons are beside each other on the panel Lower , Upper !
Laughing

Laughing Laughing hahahaha, how could I missed that!

Thanks Antony,
it solves the A1 - A2 - E3 - C4 chord structure.

But even on advanced mode with the upper activated it still needs those three notes in a range of 2 octaves. So if you play A1 - E3 - C4 (with full keyboard scanning, it doesn't recognise it as an A minor.

But that's ok, i can play octaves in the bass and that will solve it during play. I'm really happy that this A1 - A2 sequence now works.

again thanks for mentioning it Antony!
Rockitman

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you,everyone. I was using split mode, as full was giving me some chord recognition issues as well. I will look at split point and ranges as well. I played one song with chords G
D C, the D kept being detected as D7 even though I was playing D triad Now I have an FCB1010 connected, as well as an alesis vortex connected via CME widi, bluetooth midi wireless to the pedals merge midi in. I was seeing something especially odd. I was playing a Bm triad and it was being detected as a Cm7, which was weird. After a reboot it worked ok. It definitely is more consistent in split mode.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
But even on advanced mode with the upper activated it still needs those three notes in a range of 2 octaves.
So if you play A1 - E3 - C4 (with full keyboard scanning, it doesn't recognise it as an A minor.

You'd better try 3 fingered chord for distant 3 notes , advanced chord recognition requires precise quantization in distant notes
and is perfect for recognizing harmony of piano playing especially when lower octaves are involved.
Generally chord recognition in Pa5X is too fast compared to Pa4X and should had a slew rate adjustment / compensation !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

Rockitman wrote:
Thank you,everyone. I was using split mode, as full was giving me some chord recognition issues as well. I will look at split point and ranges as well. I played one song with chords G
D C, the D kept being detected as D7 even though I was playing D triad Now I have an FCB1010 connected, as well as an alesis vortex connected via CME widi, bluetooth midi wireless to the pedals merge midi in. I was seeing something especially odd. I was playing a Bm triad and it was being detected as a Cm7, which was weird. After a reboot it worked ok. It definitely is more consistent in split mode.

Hi , I use 3 finger chord mode with split. I don’t have any problems. It even plays chords correctly for my sx900 keyboard, which I have connected via midi.
Could your pedal setup somehow be interfering? ie are you confident about your midi settings.
Took a bit trial and error to get my settings correct for PA5x/sx900 setup.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Rockitman

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I agree I am suspicious that my MIDI setup may be causing problems.
I can change some settings and see if that does the trick.
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, basically I switched all the midi channels to off, and then just turned on the ones I needed.
For my SX900 setup, I needed 4 outs.
For my iPad songbook plus software, I think it just uses a single midi in.
Do you have the problem when pedal set up is not connected?

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: