Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi problems in Pa5x!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yamko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject: Midi problems in Pa5x! Reply with quote

Hello,
I just registered on this forum, but I've been following it here for a few years as I owned a Korg Pa4x Musikant that I sold a year ago because I had problems with the midi capabilities (see explanation below ) and also because the Pa5x would come true.
I've had my Pa5x 76 now for 2 weeks after a wait of almost 10 months.
The Pa5x has improved in terms of sounds and styles, but especially the operating system is a huge improvement. But as far as the midi system is concerned, just like Pa4x, it is a real disaster!!!
I have been and still a loyal Yamaha player for years (Tyros 1 and 5 and Genos since the end of 2017)
which I am super happy with except for a few things.
I will now try to clearly explain the (Midi) problem:
What is my objective?
1- I want the Expression and Sustain pedal connected to Genos to work together on the 2 keyboards Genos via (midi Out A) to ->> Midi In Pa5x.
2- Possibly Control Chords from Pa5x via Genos.
The 2 objectives also work, but now comes the big problem!!
The moment I do a transpose +1 on Genos, Pa5x adds 1 more, so +2 and so it goes, it keeps getting doubled!!
The problem is not with Genos, already tested with other keyboards Nord Electro5, Studiologic Numa x2, Tyros5.
I communicated with someone from Korg Benelux about this problem when I still had the Pa4x, and he had the same problem when he paired the Pa4x with a Pa1000 in the same way.
It would be solved in the Pa5x but nothing could be further from the truth!!!!
The problem starts when I just want to get the Expression and Sustain pedal working with the setting (Global).
Using the filters does not solve either, they do not work as they should.
For example: setting a filter (Notes) on 1 channel works simultaneously on all 8 channels, who programs something like that?? And why only filters on channels 1 to 8 when there are 16???
Has anyone also experienced this problem??
regards
Luc
Yamko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
My Pa5x is for sale, 2 weeks and a half old and unused!
New in the box, €4000. Sad Evil or Very Mad
rubenwalters

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think a midi router can help. with a bigger setup of devices you will once need something programmable between the devices.
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I’ve got my PA5x set up with my sx900. But in reverse to what you need.
I just use the PA5x to play sx900 chords. I use the registration sequencer and registrations on sx900 to try and limit what I have to press on the keyboard.
Works quite well for me, home use only.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Yamko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ricky,

Midi (GM Midi) has been developed to allow instruments to communicate with each other.
The simplest of these is to make the Expression CC11 and Sustain pedal CC64 work in one setup without confusing the other instrument.
If even a Korg representative has experienced it then something is wrong!!!
He tested it with Pa4x in combination with Pa1000 with the same result, and he can't get it playable either!
I've done the same setup with Nord Electro 5, Studiologic Numa x2 along with Genos and everything works perfectly.
With the korg Pa4x and now Pa5x it is impossible to do a transpose with the Expr & sustain pedals that then work normally, for example, without the Korg adding 1 more semitone, making it completely unplayable.
Also, for example, by changing another keyboard set on the korg, the other linked instruments are overloaded with information, so that the entire setup is confused.
We have already tried with several people who are also very familiar with Midi, but it does not work with the Korg!!
Korg still has a lot of work to do on top of everything else and is miles behind Yamaha and other brands!!!!
The big problem is, there are plenty of programmers, but few who are also musicians.
And as long as the problems will remain unsolved!

Ricky, thank you for your response
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luc, there are still a few bugs in the midi system.
For instance “ chord out” doesn’t appear to be working in PA5x.
Initially thought my set up was wrong, I think someone else reported the same problem.
I did get manage to get my setup working, switched all the midi in channels to off, and all the out to off, except, upper 1,2,3 and lower.
Lower is now the one that sends my chords out to sx900. Can only use it in split mode. Set same split in both keyboards.

Also don’t currently use a mix of sounds. I just use the sx900 sounds for sx styles. Sending out PA5x program changes confused the system.

Sorry hasn’t worked out for you.
I just set up the registrations in the sx900.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Yamko

The problem is an old one... we have been asking for detailed MIDI implementation documentation for years - there has been none so far since the PA-series commenced.

The only manual I have is the Korg i30 MIDI Implementation Manual - 97 pages of full MIDI details BUT nothing since the PA series began.

...not holding my breath Crying or Very sad
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ karmathanever,
It is indeed an old problem that I also had with my Pa4x 76 Musikant, the reason I ordered the Pa5x it was that the problem with midi would have been solved with a great disappointment.
My Genos does everything as it should and works perfectly, I don't think korg will solve this problem anytime soon because there are already so many problems waiting to be solved.
Therefore, it might be best to sell the Pa5x back quickly and wait for the Genos 2 and then the korg story ends for me.
Too bad because there are also good things about the Korg.

2 Ricky,
indeed the "Chord" function doesn't work either, I'd be happy if the Expr pedal would work without additional other problems.
There are other things that don't work properly like the "Filters" that's why I give up!
I've searched and tried so much with my earlier Pa4x 76 Musikant to no avail.
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ,
I spent an hour or so this morning configuring my sx900 to control chords and play melody on my PA5x. Ie the reverse of what my normal setup is.

1. I have to pick the set and style I want to use on the PA5x.
Picking sounds on the sx900 won’t work. There is no facility in the midi section to pick the correct bank and program changes to send to a Korg.
GM doesn’t cover it. It will send program changes, but it’s hit and miss as to whether the correct sounds will be chosen.

Sustain pedal in sx will sustain the sounds in the PA5x.
Expression pedal in sx changes the volume of melody sounds in PA5x .
Transpose button on sx900 will transpose melody on PA5x.

Don’t think there’s a way of mix n matching sounds between the keyboards, think it’s most likely a case of you use the melody sounds in the Korg, with Korg styles. Possibly you could use the melody sounds in Genos with Korg styles , haven’t tried that. Different midi setup up.
Problem is if you send out too much info, you’ll confuse the keyboard.
I don’t think arrangers are really designed to work together.
Yamahas can’t send out individual bank and program changes.
Ie ones that you configure ( unless Genos does and the sx doesn’t)
Haven’t found a way of doing on PA5x either, whereas my pa800 did. I was able to pick sounds on my Ketron sd2 sound module via the pa800. The module had no screen, no buttons or sliders for doing that itself)

Still haven’t quite worked out what you are trying to achieve..

Basically I have the same setup , but in reverse working with both keyboards.

I play keys on my sx900, it plays pa5x styles and melody on my PA5x.
I can use expression pedal on sx900 and lower and increase melody sounds on PA5x.
I can use sustain pedal o. Sx900 andsustain sounds on PA5x.
I can use transpose button on sx900 to transpose chords and melody on PA5x .
Have to pick soundset and style on PA5x.
Songbook might be best set up for doing that.

It was an interesting exercise..
One good thing I might have found another way of recording chord loops for my PA5x via sx900, so not a total waste of time.haha.😀

If you’re expecting more, not sure it’s possible.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
petr14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I understand your problem correctly, but the Pa5X manual describes how to control SongBank via midi. You can select individual songs and therefore change most of the settings, such as sounds etc. The manual describes switching styles and KSTs via midi. Hopefully this will help you.
Yamaha DX Reface, Casio CT-S1
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Petr, no, songbook wasn’t the problem. Luc was trying to connect his Genos to his PA5x via midi. There’s a few issues.
Maybe he’s sold it.😞

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Yamko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rikki,

The Pa5x has not yet been sold at this time.
I took a break because I have other things to do at the moment.
I'll check tomorrow to see if there are any other options.
I ordered a dual potentiometer 50 Kb for my (Genos) FC7 Yamaha expression pedal to be able to control the volume separately for the Genos and Pa5x.
It is a conversion of the pedal, the same has already happened with my sustain pedal.
This way I can completely disconnect the midi communication.
But the question is whether a keyboard with a defective midi is worth 5000k?? Not to mention all the other problems!!
I'm a live musician, and want to use the 2 keyboards together especially the expression and sustain.
It would be nice to also control the Chords among themselves, sounds are not necessary.
Everyone does a transpose, and that's totally impossible!
Only with Genos it works without problems!
Anyone who will try to connect a keyboard to the Pa5x will experience the same thing.

@ Korg!!
Wake up!!!!
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luc, I did get mine to work, ie sx900 midi out/ PA5x midi in. but , the midi setup I came up with may not suit a live situation. I could try and work out how to post screen shots of my midi set up, if you think it might help. Pretty sure the midi implementation would be the same on my sx900 as on the Genos. I played around with settings on both PA5x and sx900. Had to put my thinking cap back on, haven’t had to do that in a long time.haha
Might be worth a try ? or maybe I might have something in my settings you may not have considered . Just a thought.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Yamko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ricky,
Thank you very much for thinking along!!

I also get it working, both Expr. as a Sustain pedal as well as the chord control from Genos to Pa5x via Midi A Genos to Midi In to Pa5x, but when I do a transpose on the Genos (+1) the accompaniment goes from Pa5x also +1 via (transpose Midi In) to then it's OK, but if I want to play a sound on the Pa5x on Lower, Upper 1,2, or 3, then Pa5x is still on Transpose 0, then do a Transpose +1 on the Pa5x to get to the same pitch and then the So add another semitone to Pa5x (+2) and the whole thing is unplayable!
To be clear, the genos is my main keyboard at the bottom and the Pa5x is the additional one at the top.
If I connect it the other way around, the Pa5x completely messes up the Genos.
Thank you
Luc
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamko wrote:
Hello Ricky,
Thank you very much for thinking along!!

I also get it working, both Expr. as a Sustain pedal as well as the chord control from Genos to Pa5x via Midi A Genos to Midi In to Pa5x, but when I do a transpose on the Genos (+1) the accompaniment goes from Pa5x also +1 via (transpose Midi In) to then it's OK, but if I want to play a sound on the Pa5x on Lower, Upper 1,2, or 3, then Pa5x is still on Transpose 0, then do a Transpose +1 on the Pa5x to get to the same pitch and then the So add another semitone to Pa5x (+2) and the whole thing is unplayable!
To be clear, the genos is my main keyboard at the bottom and the Pa5x is the additional one at the top.
If I connect it the other way around, the Pa5x completely messes up the Genos.
Thank you
Luc

Hi Luc,
Finally sank through what you were talking about. Tried it on my sx900. It transposes the PA5x perfectly, as long as you don’t want to play on both keybeds at the same time.
I only play one or the other.
Good luck with the item you ordered, hopefully might help.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: