Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

“Save All”, saving drumkits and their samples, KSC files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dshore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: “Save All”, saving drumkits and their samples, KSC files Reply with quote

Am just starting to use Triton EX for production. So, I’m not understanding what the best, most efficient way is to save everything I’m working on in the Triton EX. Am trying to create drumkits with my own samples and create multisamples with my instrument samples/riffs.

After loading up some samples and previously created multisamples, I used “Save all”. When I powered off and booted up again, I used the “load PCG and Samples” command. Everything loaded up fine. After loading some additional new samples, creating a drum kit with the old and new samples, making a new program for the drumkit, I saved the drumkits and used “Save All” again with same name as the 1st “Save All.” The same-named PCG gets overwritten but it doesn’t re-save the multisamples/samples/KSC and says the KSC file already exists.

I next used Save Sampling Data—>All (multisamples and samples) commands but it again said the KSC file already existed. l I thought it would re-save everything, including the new samples I loaded into RAM. It did, however allow me to save all the samples under a different name (KSC file with same-named folder of samples).

Is there a better way or workflow for saving? I’m trying to create a re-useable “template” of drums/samples that I can load up every time and add additional ones occasionally. How should this be accomplished. Thanks!
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managing programs, combis, and global (where drum kits and arpeggios live) in PCG files alongside with user samples can be tricky in terms of configuration and dependency management. It's kind of left to the user to come up with methods, directory structures, and naming conventions that work well for you. Similar issues exist for Kronos - there are lots of topics in that forum that cover file management strategies. If there's one common mantra, it's Save All, save often.

Save All to a fresh new uniquely named top-level directory should get you past the TEX's refusal overwrite an existing KSC. (I believe Kronos added an Overwrite option.)

My own strategy for content saved in PCG files is to always be additive and avoid deleting or rearranging drum kits, arpeggios, programs, or combis once I've saved them. Then I can be certain that sequences I saved years ago will still refer to the same locations and play back correctly. With a stable PCG file you can be sure each combi points to the right programs, each program points to the right ROM or RAM samples or drum kit, and each drum kit points to the right ROM or RAM samples.

But I only use piano samples and load them by loading the corresponding .KSC file manually if needed. If I had a more diverse and larger sample library (as you are building), I would need to do something different and more sophisticated to keep track of them.
dshore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks bpoodoo! The Save All to a new directory works great. What I’m doing going forward: With a USB flash drive and CF card installed, I have two top level folders in each where I store the Save All contents. As I add more drumkits/MSs, i.e., with the USB, I Save All in folder #1 (which was empty), delete previous Save All content in folder #2 so now it’s empty. Then I do the same with the CF card. Just alternating my saves between the two folders.

This way, after saving on both mediums, the most updated Save All (same PCG name) content is in 2 places. And you know what they say about saving in one place only No No No.

Also, many probably already know about it but I read about a great organization command, “move sample,” in the sample edit page drop-down menu. It re-organizes the entire sample list as you delete unnecessary samples and add ones for future assignment. Also automatically keeps your samples that are assigned to drumkits/MSs in the right place.

Loving the TEX right now! Deep diving in the TEX Parameter Guide is a big help FWIW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: