Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 3 expected Launch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITguy54

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwendal wrote:
StephenKay wrote:
Gwendal wrote:
But it would be nice if in your turn you take the time to really read what people write.

I believe that I did. Smile

But in any case, I hope you now understand that I had nothing to do with Korg's decision to stop making the Kronos.

There was no change to the licensing terms, or their right to continue to use KARMA.

Quote:
More seriously I am sad things went that way between you and Korg.
And I'm sad the Nautilus was a quick and dirty replacement of the kronos and not a full 64bits new generation workstation.

I agree with you there.

Nowhere I wrote you were the one who decided to stop working with korg.
Anyway...we agree on the conclusion.

I wonder if the solution is to wait for Korg or to create my own musical instrument brand.
😄

Does this mean you are finally going to get off his back? Seriously this exchange has been ridiculous. Quit harassing Steven Kay. This nonsense has nothing to do with the original post. You have taken this way off topic.
jick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic, I'm actually very curious if a Kronos V3 will emerge.. I've been looking into the Nord stage 4, seems to be a great synth, but to me it feels like it's not enough of an upgrade to my Kronos V1. That tells a lot, it shows how much the Kronos was it's time ahead imo. Anyway. If a V3 will be released, I'll probably buy it instantly. Are you listening, Korg? Maybe incorporate some nice VSTi's in a nice hardware enclosure Smile
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jick wrote:
Back on topic, I'm actually very curious if a Kronos V3 will emerge.. I've been looking into the Nord stage 4, seems to be a great synth, but to me it feels like it's not enough of an upgrade to my Kronos V1. That tells a lot, it shows how much the Kronos was it's time ahead imo. Anyway. If a V3 will be released, I'll probably buy it instantly. Are you listening, Korg? Maybe incorporate some nice VSTi's in a nice hardware enclosure Smile

Would be nice, but I wouldn't bet on it.

They replaced the Kronos line with the Nautilus, which has very little new or exciting about it compared to the Kronos, and is a clear step down in multiple ways.

The other two of the Big Three of japanese synthesis (Roland and Yamaha) have given up on workstations as a category.

They haven't said a word promising any developments in the field.

All their new product announcements at conventions (NAMM/Superbooth/whatever) are about other product classes.

They're not putting out any media responding to the Push 3, or the MPC Line, or the Kurzweil PC4 or K2700.

They're really just retreating from the field. This isn't the behaviour of a company trying to maintain a presence in a category.

Sorry.
MehranPa5x76

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
jick wrote:

They replaced the Kronos line with the Nautilus, which has very little new or exciting about it compared to the Kronos, and is a clear step down in multiple ways.

The other two of the Big Three of japanese synthesis (Roland and Yamaha) have given up on workstations as a category.

All their new product announcements at conventions (NAMM/Superbooth/whatever) are about other product classes.

They're not putting out any media responding to the Push 3, or the MPC Line, or the Kurzweil PC4 or K2700.

They're really just retreating from the field. This isn't the behaviour of a company trying to maintain a presence in a category.

Sorry.

Hi to everyone 😊👋

I have pa5x 76 . Unfortunately I sold my kronos2 1 year ago . now I want to buy

Nautilus 73. I noticed some users have cut off sound problems in this new workstation

Please let me know is this problem in all nautiluses or some of them ?( Common or rare issue)

And is there any solution for this issue ?

Please kindly guide me 🤓🐞

Best regards
Mehran 🤘
ITguy54

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MehranPa5x76 wrote:

Hi to everyone 😊👋

I have pa5x 76 . Unfortunately I sold my kronos2 1 year ago . now I want to buy

Nautilus 73. I noticed some users have cut off sound problems in this new workstation

Please let me know is this problem in all nautiluses or some of them ?( Common or rare issue)

And is there any solution for this issue ?

Please kindly guide me 🤓🐞

Best regards
Mehran 🤘

This is the Kronos forum. Have you tried asking this on the Nautilus forum?
jick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:

Sorry.

I think I have to agree, but I'm hoping you're not right Smile. Anyway, the release of the PA5X might hint on something like the release of a high end workstation, aka Kronos 3. The Nautilus wasn't a real successor indeed.

To me it's kind of hard to beleave Yamaha, Roland and Korg have given up on high end workstations anyway. There's lots of gigging musicians who don't want to rely on macbooks and VSTi's. For sure I am one. Time will tell..
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that companies such as Roland have decided that performance keyboards are more salable than workstations. Their Fantom, Fantom-0, and FA lines have all moved away from core workstation capabilities but are great performance tools. For gigging musicians, this isn't a problem. After all, nobody's going to a wedding to craft new music in front of a crowd. You could say the same for the Yamaha Genos, although it kinda-sorta can be a workstation if you close one eye and squint with the other. The Nautilus is a worse workstation than the Kronos but roughly on par with the Kronos for performance (if you ignore what they did for faders and hands-on control in general).

Composers and producers simply are not KORG's focus here, and it shows. They've been very quiet about it, but their actions speak so loudly, they hardly need to say a word.

"Thanks for the good times, composers. It was swell. Hope you like software workstations or staff paper. Thanks for all the fish. Can we interest you in a metallic red guitar tuner? What, you're leaving us for Akai? That's fine, nobody cares, we were done with you anyway. We broke up with you, not you with us. You'll come crawling back when the MPC Keys breaks your heart. You always will. Can we interest you in a metallic blue guitar tuner?"
vertig0spin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwendal wrote:
kronoSphere wrote:
May I add to Gwendal's comment this :

When we have a Kronos and a DAW we have finally many Kronos at hands and not, anymore, just one Kronos.
Combis can be melted and so on !

And that is another big advantage of a DAW with Kronos

Yep...so you don't want a workstation but just a sounds library.
You can already "melt" combis within the T1/Triton/Oasys/Kronos sequencers.

The main goal of a workstation, is, like its name indicates, to have a work station.
You do everything in/on one device.

Plugging a "workstation" to a DAW is just screaming : "hey this keyboard IS NOT a workstation, I need a DAW to work".

It's been a long time since I posted on this forum. I think it was 2018 when I was researching the best option for a new Synth or Workstation, whereby I was planning to do heavy sequencing utilizing multiple engines. It came down to the Kronos, Montage and MODX. Several people on here were quite helpful in providing the details and differences between those 3 keyboards, and ultimately they advised that the Montage was my best option, or else I would have polyphony issues on the Kronos...so I bought the Montage and it's been an awesome synth. I use a DAW for all sequencing, custom ARP creation, and SampleRobot and other computer applications for sample/waveform creation, etc.

Currrently Yamaha are about to release a new Montage replacement (Montage M) and someone said that there was a leak regarding a new Kronos 3 to be released. So I did a quick search and ended up here.

The first thing I noticed is @Gwendal sarcastically telling someone they don't want a Workstation, they just want a sounds library. You seem to be on your high horse, hung up on the type of keyboard, such that if it's a true Workstation capable device like the Kronos, then in your mind it "must" be used as a workstation and thou shalt not use a DAW..!? Well, I see no issue with someone wanting to have a Kronos just for all the various engines and sounds only, and customize all their sequencing via a DAW! That's what I do on the Montage and I can easily and quickly get super granular in sequencing modifications. I don't think @kronoSphere needs to be caught up in worrying about whether he uses the Kronos as a Workstation or a Synth with a DAW...everyone has their own 'workflow' that works best for them. Some people like workstations and doing everything on the keyboard. Others might not, which is what makes us all unique. It's not a question of @kronoSphere not wanting a workstation, but rather they just wanted the Kronos, its engines, but a different workflow from doing sequencing on the keyboard itself. And that's their personal preference & preferred 'workflow'. There is NOTHING wrong with that! If I owned a Kronos, my workflow preference would still be to do all my sequencing in Pro Tools via my Windows 11 PC (That's right, not a MAC...not even Yamaha/Steinberg's Cubase for my DAW, which you get a free copy of when purchasing the Montage)! Some might want a mix of doing some DAW sequencing and some "Workstation-like" sequencing on the Kronos itself. It doesn't matter whether the Kronos is being used as a Workstation or a Synth or something in-between, I would just respect that person's personal preference and what their own unique workflow is with the Kronos. It doesn't matter that they aren't using it as a true workstation or not. That's not for anyone else to judge how they utilize their Kronos. I think you need to respect other people's preferences.

I could utilize my Yamaha Montage 'Synthesizer' as a 'Workstation' if I wanted (even though on paper Yamaha call it a Synthesizer and not a Workstation, it is capable of doing everything onboard, even basic sampling which I discovered recently), and utilize only the onboard sequencer, motion sequencing, ARP creation, sampling, etc., etc. I'm not hung up on the type of keyboard (Synthesizer or Workstation), as much as what I can make it do, and how I prefer to accomplish that (my personal workflow). But I would choose a DAW for sequencing and ARP creation, as well as custom sampling, any day of the week for my personal workflow, over doing sequencing onboard the keyboard itself.

The next thing I noticed as I read through this is how @Gwendal was kinda giving Stephen Kay, the developer of KARMA, a bit of a hard time and not showing enough respect. I'm not a Kronos or KARMA guy, and have been pretty much a Yamaha guy since years (although my first synth was a Korg Polysix), but I know enough from the Yamaha forums what the Kronos, KARMA is and who Stephen Kay is, and I have great respect!

Anyway, it would be interesting to see if Korg did decide to release a new Kronos...! I think that Korg could redesign the Kronos with different internal parts, utilize more powerful & faster chips, use the latest/fastesst NVMe disks, start developing the KARMA again working with Stephen Kay, enhance existing engines, maybe even add a new engine or two, Poly Aftertouch keybeds, greatly increased polyphony options when using multiple engines, enhanced PC/MAC & DAW integrations, etc.

Anyway, here's to hoping Kronos fans get a Kronos 3 at some point! Very Happy
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard some rumblings in the new Montage M discussion threads around the place that there may be an announcement of something new around 16 November...

Okay, completely unsubstantiated but got to have something to discuss here, right?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
ITguy54

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
I've heard some rumblings in the new Montage M discussion threads around the place that there may be an announcement of something new around 16 November...

If there is such a thing as the Multiverse, there won’t be a new Kronos in any of them.

Unless something can be made around a Raspberry Pi, Korg isn’t going to do it.
steveyoung29

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITguy54 wrote:
SeedyLee wrote:

If there is such a thing as the Multiverse, there won’t be a new Kronos in any of them.

Why?
ITguy54

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveyoung29 wrote:
ITguy54 wrote:
SeedyLee wrote:

Why?

You’re asking the wrong person. You should ask Korg why they only develop keyboards and synths using the Raspberry Pi.
steveyoung29

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITguy54 wrote:
steveyoung29 wrote:
ITguy54 wrote:
SeedyLee wrote:

Why?

You’re asking the wrong person. You should ask Korg why they only develop keyboards and synths using the Raspberry Pi.

Sorry, I wasn't attempting to be obtuse. How do you know Korg's reason for not further developing the Kronos is to do with Raspberry Pi? What is specific about that computering solution?

BTW, the programming that has been achieved with the Kronos is extraordinary - those sound engines, once start-up has completed, are instantly available. Admittedly, the Kronos struggles once you start to use all those engines together.

Steve
blazerunner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bash on korg and the rasberry pi like it hasn't been responsible for creating some of the most amazing synths of late. ??? Sounds kind of nit picky.

Seems to me like it comes down to the corporate structure of Korg and what the people sitting around in the executive office feel the direction of the brand show be going in. Apparently they don't see the flagship keyboards that made their brand name relevant something to focus on or take seriously anymore.

Personally I've moved on in life far away from the stupidity of "brand loyalty". If Korg's not doing it and "someone else" is than "someone else" is what I'm going to be purchasing. I don't have years of my life to waste waiting for a company to get a clue.

I'm not happy at all about how they handled the end of the Kronos product line and how they just abandoned it with all the bugs it has. That was very sloppy and makes me not want to put my faith in a brand. Compare their ending the Kronos to how Yamaha handled ending the previous Montage.

The Kronos sequencer really needed more time and programming. Matter of fact the whole keyboard could have been brought up to speed with an actual legitimate update they fixed any number of things we complained about in that super thread.

Korg doesn't believe in updates they just believe in dropping an entirely different keyboard with a few "tweaks".

Everything has caught up to the Kronos as far as sounds go. Other synths, VST's etc. Korg is still trying to sell you Piano Sounds paks for $300 like this is still the early 2000's.

The Korg interface is vastly outdated. It could not survive another rendition of windows 3.1 with a touch screen. The way the Kronos operates is super clumsy. Especially with menu diving, saving,loading, accessing this, that and all that jazz. You feel like you're doing a lot of tedious programming work where on any other device that would have just been a single push button job (Akai's interface software has perfected that).

Anyway...

The only thing that keeps the Kronos somewhat useful is the sequencer. Buggy,flawed and extremely outdated but still it's the only Workstation part of the keyboard. I could go on for hours complaining about what would make it better but at the end of the day Korg has enough companies and VST's to model a better sequencer from so they have to already know where they went wrong and what they need to improve.

That being said... a whole generation of musicians have skipped out on a Korg Workstation because there hasn't been one to represent their era. Instead Korg is targeting them with mini synths, VST's and drum machines, and the like. Workstations got the back burner because Korg who used to set the trend decided to follow the trend by not focusing on them.

Why I don't know but Roland and Yamaha ignored the trend and kept pushing forward with their keyboards. Fantom has taken up the workspace the Kronos once did. The new Montage will also be taking up the workspace the Kronos one had. Meanwhile year after year after year the Kronos falls further and further behind and becomes more obsolete.

Now me I'm not a guy who needs to chase the latest and greatest. I still use my Kronos daily it's part of my main workflow. I've learned its ends and outs that how I find all the "bugs" that shouldn't be there but are. Things the programmers probably didn't even realize existed.

At the same time I've put in all these years of learning this Keyboard I can't be ignorant to the fact that there is equipment out there that does what I try to accomplish on the Kronos in a much simpler fashion. There are parts of the Kronos I don't bother with because of that like the cumbersome "sampler" for one. Never use it. Got gear that does it better. For example right now I'm trying to fix a song. If I made it on a DAW I could easily cut out the segment I wanted right where I needed it cute precisely with a 2 mouse clicks. On the Kronos... that's impossible and it becomes a challenging task to edit tracks with precision because it lacks the programming tools to do so. It's technology that it's lacking.

That's the same mindset any modern musician looking at this keyboard is going to feel about it. "Okay this is cool but "insert gear here" does a better job at doing this". That's just what happens when technology gets old.

Main thing is that the Kronos has no way to truly interface with a DAW and become a real studio power horse like a protools or an ableton. It's difficult to take what you create in the Kronos and move it into a DAW. In 2023 you need that seamless workflow or your product won't survive.

So to me it just seems that either Korg has been spending these years in secret creating a super workstation to one day release to the world or they've just decided to fizzle out the Workstation side and leave whatever left over parts they have for the Nautilus production till they exhaust that.

Either way I'm not waiting. I'll be an old man in a retirement home before Korg wakes up and says "Lets release a new workstation".
steveyoung29

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got just one Kronos, an LS 88 key. I need at least two more Kronos's, an 88 key with fully weighted keys (priority) , and a 61 key with aftertouch. If there's another 61 key going spare, I'll have that too.
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: