Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nanopad2 configuration question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenophile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Nanopad2 configuration question Reply with quote

Can I configure my Kronos2-61 such that it does not automatically map NanoPad2 pads 1-8 to the Kronos’ chord pads?

I would like to configure it such that all 16 pads on the NanoPad2 can play various percussion and sound effects of my own choosing. I’ve been looking at the Kronos Operations Manual and Parameter Guide, but I haven’t found anything documenting how to disable the automatic mapping of pads 1-8 to the Kronos’ chord pads. I would think that this should be possible, and that I am missing something.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. My top pads are the chord pads. The bottom 8 do functions - turn on or off portamento, damper full on, etc.

Use the utility and configure the CC#'s for each pad.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Xenophile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it figured out. I was trying to work around the feature instead of simply using it. I will just map the Kronos’ pads to the sounds I want the top row of the NanoPad to play. Duh. The bottom row on the NanoPad will be more challenging because I’ll have to use the Korg Control Editor software to set the note numbers I want on the bottom row or the NanoPad.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried connecting the nanoPAD to a USB hub, and connecting the hub to the Kronos? It might work. Some of the long USB extension cables incorporate what enumerates as a hub, as a signal "booster". It uses USB power, so no separate power supply is needed. It may confuse the Kronos' nanoPAD detection enough to stop it automapping.

I was going to try it here first, before posting, but can't find my long USB extension cable.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - just tried a 4-way USB self powered hub, with the nanoPAD2 going to the hub, and it is still autoconfigured to play the chord pads. Ah well, it was worth a try.

You could always buy a Nautiilus ;-) It doesn't autoconfigure when the nanpPAD2 is connected, I believe.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was trying to do really didn't make sense. I was thinking that the Kronos pads were just for playing chords, but silly me didn't realize that you can just as easily map them to any single note that you want, and with Combinations you can also map each pad to different timbres' midi channels. So the auto-mapping feature actually makes it easier to do what I wanted to do.

I always use Combinations, since I always gig with my Kronos 61 connected to an 88-key piano-action midi controller. In a combination I can set up multiple percussion and sfx timbres on midi channels other than the Global channel or the channel that the 88-key controller is using, and then map the Kronos pads to the desired notes and channels on the perc/sfx timbres. In most cases I will use the same perc/sfx timbres and mapping on all my combis so that I can always have the same sounds on the same pads.

The only reason I can see that someone might want to disable the auto-mapping would be if they want the Kronos' on-screen pads to do something different from the top row of the NanoPad.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A USB MIDI host to DIN should abstract the nanpPAD2 sufficiently for the Kronos not to recognise it as a nanoPAD2, but still respond to the MIDI signals via the DIN port. There has been some discussion on this forum some time ago, but more to do with the Oasys, and the Kross.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: