Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where does on select the MIDI channels?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbfrench135

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Where does on select the MIDI channels? Reply with quote

I've got a
Korg X-50
Roland GR-20 (Guittar MIDI interface)
A Roland Fantom XR
A PC

Where and how do I set the various MIDI channels Such as Basic, Control, Patch Select, etc.. The only channel I can fin to change is on the Global page and it is just called MIDI channel. I'm trying t get them to talk to each other. I've tried to use MIDI-ox to troubleshoot. When I turn on MIDI-ox I get sound, turn it of and no sound. I'm pretty sure I've got a MIDI channel set wrong or I've got the setup wrong.

I go MIDI out from X50 to MIDI in on Fantom XR, GI-20 MIDI out to Fontom MIDI through.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 16 MIDI channels in the standard MIDI specification. MIDI is just a serial data stream, containing 7 bit "bytes" of data, specifying channel number, followed by various messages, which include note on/note off and the velocity for each note, and Control Change (CC#), and various other messages, including SysEx. There are no Audio data transmitted over MIDI.

For the various intstruments to talk to each other, they need to be connected in a particular way, and they cannot readily talk to each other in all possible ways, without reconfiguring the interconnections. The basic rules are this: MIDI In talks to the internal tone generator but is not normally connected to MIDI Out. MIDI In data gets sent to MIDI Thru. MIDI In and MIDI Out cannot "see" MIDI Thru data.

With your present setup, it should be possible for the X-50 to play the tone generator in the Fantom XR.

In order to get the GR-20 tone generator to sound in response to the X-50, connect the Fantom XR MIDI Thru to the GR-20 MIDI In. Check that all instruments are on the same MIDI channel.

If you want to play guitar and have the GR-20 trigger the tones from the Korg X-50 and Fantom XR, then the GR-20 MIDI Out needs to be connected to the X-50 MIDI In, and the X-50 MIDI Thru connected to the Fantom XR MIDI In.

In order to combine the audio outputs of all of these tone generators, they need to be connected to some sort of audio mixer.

lbfrench135

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
There are 16 MIDI channels in the standard MIDI specification. MIDI is just a serial data stream, containing 7 bit "bytes" of data, specifying channel number, followed by various messages, which include note on/note off and the velocity for each note, and Control Change (CC#), and various other messages, including SysEx. There are no Audio data transmitted over MIDI.

For the various intstruments to talk to each other, they need to be connected in a particular way, and they cannot readily talk to each other in all possible ways, without reconfiguring the interconnections. The basic rules are this: MIDI In talks to the internal tone generator but is not normally connected to MIDI Out. MIDI In data gets sent to MIDI Thru. MIDI In and MIDI Out cannot "see" MIDI Thru data.

With your present setup, it should be possible for the X-50 to play the tone generator in the Fantom XR.

In order to get the GR-20 tone generator to sound in response to the X-50, connect the Fantom XR MIDI Thru to the GR-20 MIDI In. Check that all instruments are on the same MIDI channel.

If you want to play guitar and have the GR-20 trigger the tones from the Korg X-50 and Fantom XR, then the GR-20 MIDI Out needs to be connected to the X-50 MIDI In, and the X-50 MIDI Thru connected to the Fantom XR MIDI In.

In order to combine the audio outputs of all of these tone generators, they need to be connected to some sort of audio mixer.

Where specifically do you change all the different settings for the 16 channels.

Example. Roland GI-20 calls them, CC#, CC#, PC#, MIDI channel, Control channel, Basic channel. I'm assuming that Korg is calling them something else?
Sorry for my ignorance, but this is the first time I ever had to connect more than one MIDI device together..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: