Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What replaces the Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale: I tend to agree with your buddy.

That said, for studio work my pick would be the Akai Professional Force. It's designed to create a whole, rendered track. For performance, something like the MPC One, or Roland Fantom should be fine. They're different use cases, which were always awkwardly married in KORG's product line.

But yeah, KORG has pretty much given up. The real answer to the original question in the thread's topic is: nothing from KORG.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they've given up. I am curious though if they can make enough money doing the $90 controllers and cheap keyboards to keep the lights on. Maybe they don't make enough profit from flagships like the Kronos to make it worth their while. When you look at the actual sales figures for game changers like the M1 and the Triton, it's way lower than I expected. And that goes for any keyboard by any manufacturer, not just Korg. So when you figure in R&D, marketing, etc. maybe there's just a lot more profit selling twice or three times as many "small ticket" items with much less R&D. This isn't an area I can't even pretend to know what I'm talking about though. Just wondering out loud.

But where DO you go from the Kronos? Seriously. I bought mine in 2011 and there's nothing on the market today in 2022 that interests me. So Korg's "failure" (if you can call it that) was putting out something so awesome and finding difficulty upping their game I suppose. Kind of a weird situation. Sooner or later, everybody that wanted a Kronos bought one and the Nautilus is picking up the people who couldn't afford it.

My big issue right now is hardware failure with unavailable parts. It's changed my thinking going forward. My m50 which I've lugged around several times a week since 2008 has a bad board in it. I can't find a replacement. My Triton Pro only boots up about 1/2 the time. My Kronos has had the motherboard fail, the power supply fail and is currently working but sooner or later another part will fail and it will be in the parts bin. So for me, it's software synths from here on out. I can always buy a new computer or a new audio interface or a keyboard controller.

One thing to note is I've heard there is a massive disconnect between Korg Japan and Korg USA and that's causing some issues. Korg USA and Korg Japan develop products, sometimes together and sometimes independently. I remember an old post from Jerry Kovarsky about some of the stuff that was solely from Korg USA. So if Korg Japan and Korg USA are butting heads, that could be the problem. Again, just spit balling here, I have no credible info. It's all rumor mill.

That reminds me, does anybody know how JerryTheK is doing? I haven't seen nor heard from him in a few years. I will always owe a lot of credit and gratitude to him for how he took care of me over the years... and I'm just an internet shmuck. I'm not even one of those "internet influencers" you hear so much about these days.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Narioso

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
Maybe they don't make enough profit from flagships like the Kronos to make it worth their while.

It might be that spread sheet guys think like they do in car industry.

Premium cars like BMW and Merc and their top models one wonders if they really is good business or just building the brand.

When cost is of no concern you learn how to build cars with max comfort, no sound from outdoor, no vibrations and such. This knowhow also gives ideas how to make the almost the same thing but cheaper for the lower shelf models. How a car door just woosh as you close it etc and not a metal klonk as you do that as in cheaper cars.

They also participate in world series in various racing disciplines and learn what components are too weak to last.

Could be the same thing for Korg to position themselves on market, and also learn new things trying to be the best of the best. Prestige might be the word.

What are runner ups and best now I could not say having not tried workstations at all. But Yamaha, Roland and Kurzweil are there competing in that segment.

Korg made an attempt with PA5X just now to stay up there with arrangers.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
I don't think they've given up. I am curious though if they can make enough money doing the $90 controllers and cheap keyboards to keep the lights on. Maybe they don't make enough profit from flagships like the Kronos to make it worth their while. When you look at the actual sales figures for game changers like the M1 and the Triton, it's way lower than I expected. And that goes for any keyboard by any manufacturer, not just Korg. So when you figure in R&D, marketing, etc. maybe there's just a lot more profit selling twice or three times as many "small ticket" items with much less R&D. This isn't an area I can't even pretend to know what I'm talking about though. Just wondering out loud.

I wasn't trying to say that they've given up on their whole product line; rather that they've just decided not to compete on the top level of workstations any more. As many people have observed, the Nautilus isn't a player's machine (witness the reduced controller interface, loss of aftertouch and so on) but neither is it strong in the studio (nowhere near the sequencing sophistication of something like the MPC line or the Maschine+) and these aren't gotcha factors but key features that have been readily identifiable in the market for years - decades, by now.

McHale wrote:
But where DO you go from the Kronos? Seriously. I bought mine in 2011 and there's nothing on the market today in 2022 that interests me. So Korg's "failure" (if you can call it that) was putting out something so awesome and finding difficulty upping their game I suppose. Kind of a weird situation. Sooner or later, everybody that wanted a Kronos bought one and the Nautilus is picking up the people who couldn't afford it.

It depends on your use case. If you're a performer who wants all the things in one package (except Karma) then I can't think of anything better than the Kurzweil K2700. Aftertouch, faders, knobs, touchstrip, very sophisticated sound engine, arpeggiators, all the goodies. If you're a studio guy where studio master behaviour and central sequencing of an army of devices is more important (my scenario, by the way) then the Akai Professional Force is better than anything I've ever seen from KORG in terms of both sequencing sophistication, and interfacing to the rest of the studio. A Kronos 3 could have killed it on every feature point, but they decided not to do that.

McHale wrote:
My big issue right now is hardware failure with unavailable parts. It's changed my thinking going forward. My m50 which I've lugged around several times a week since 2008 has a bad board in it. I can't find a replacement. My Triton Pro only boots up about 1/2 the time. My Kronos has had the motherboard fail, the power supply fail and is currently working but sooner or later another part will fail and it will be in the parts bin. So for me, it's software synths from here on out. I can always buy a new computer or a new audio interface or a keyboard controller.

Be very careful with the software thing. The OS/dongle treadmill is real, and a lot more expensive than people pretend. Not saying that it can't work for you; just reminding you that there are problems, and those problems made me go hardware.
mrgl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
If you're a studio guy where studio master behaviour and central sequencing of an army of devices is more important (my scenario, by the way) then the Akai Professional Force is better than anything I've ever seen from KORG in terms of both sequencing sophistication, and interfacing to the rest of the studio.

The Akai Force cannot handle time signatures other than 4/4
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgl wrote:
The Akai Force cannot handle time signatures other than 4/4

Oh, this old chestnut.

Here, let me help: you can set a clip to any length that you please, and set any ticks in it that you please as a sampler track. Tadaaa! Instant 45/37 time. Or whatever spins your wheels. Besides that, I'm capable of sufficient mental arithmetic to handle the complexities of polyrhythms and polymeters.

If 4/4 time on the grid is your biggest reason for avoiding the Force, that says more about you than about the device itself. (My biggest outstanding gripe is that I can't plug an optical mouse into it to improve some interface functions - but I survive the horrific torment somehow.)
mrgl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is a workaround, which is fine but inconvenient. This says about me that I like the tools I choose to be helpful. As it's implemented right now, it does not support time signatures in a helpful way.

The UI of the piano roll shows every fourth beat with a different shade, for example. The built in metronome ticks every fourth as well.
shefu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love new keyboards & synths as much as anyone, but honestly why would we need a replacement for Kronos, or any other "main synth" that we each use? You can literally put any sounds into Kronos, you can literally make any sound on it.

I'm still rocking my Jupiter 80, Yamaha An1x, and new Nautilus like it's day 1. If anything new and exciting comes along, cool, IF NOT, that's okay too.
mrgl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shefu wrote:
I love new keyboards & synths as much as anyone, but honestly why would we need a replacement for Kronos, or any other "main synth" that we each use?

I for sure would like a better user interface. Less touch screen, more tactility, like the ASM Hydrasynth. Programming an AL-1 patch feels to me like inputting data into a tax return form.

A pattern sequencer would be welcome, polyphonic and with piano roll and step sequencer editing.

Data management (samples, patches, multisamples, patterns) could be made better.

And also, effects. Having them stored into a program and not having a shared pool of 12 across multiple programs in a combi.
maphill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:56 am    Post subject: Kronos replacement Reply with quote

For me I'm using my Fantom 6 instead of my Kronos most of the time. That's largely because for my live performance situation the control surface, the ability to play backing tracks and a couple other things meets the needs better. I really like the sliders with indicators and the rotary encoders with indicators.

It has some pretty good sounds, but it can't do everything a Kronos can. And for studio recordings and synth-y music I will fire up the Kronos.

Regardless, what I predict and hope is that Korg is perfecting their new engines (WaveState, etc.) with the standalone keyboards and then will combine them all in a new workstation. Hopefully with the control surface upgrades inspired by the PA5X and the Fantom and more.

Name it Poseidon and emphasize "flow" or Zeus and have fancy lighting. Don't care... but if it has a solid set of controls and an a easier to follow UI with all of the latest engines crammed in there.... Well, shut up and take my money!

P.S. Hyperion and Eos might also make good names...
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing can replace a Kronos. I realize it every time I play it. Razz
afr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:

Yes you are right, but they could make some upgrade including

1) wavestate sound engine
2) opsix
3) modwave
4) bigger LCD
5) 64bit op system
6) more RAM management
7)management of their VST instruments

Basically a sum of what they already have in a single unit, an OASYS 2
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afr wrote:
KK wrote:

Yes you are right, but they could make some upgrade including

1) wavestate sound engine
2) opsix
3) modwave
4) bigger LCD
5) 64bit op system
6) more RAM management
7)management of their VST instruments

Basically a sum of what they already have in a single unit, an OASYS 2

Face palm Brick wall Sorry, but I do not think that is happening. The Nautilus is Korg's answer for the future. They will not compromise sales of wavestate, opsix and modwave at this point. PA5X is interesting with its Nautilus sounds, 21 ossilators, extensive effects and sound design capabilities. Maybe indicating a blending of workstation and professional arrangers is their direction? Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitecrawler wrote:
PA5X is interesting with its Nautilus sounds, 21 ossilators, extensive effects and sound design capabilities. Maybe indicating a blending of workstation and professional arrangers is their direction? Cool

Bingo! The seemingly absurd but possibliy correct answer to the question "What replaces Kronos?" is the Pa5x. If you want the latest and greatest flagship keyboard with the newest features from Korg, it is no longer in a workstation but in an arranger. So you have a $4,000 workstation in the Kronos; why not add to your collection a $5,000 arranger? From a business perspective, it makes sense - consolidate your high-end in a single product and merge your market.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the PA5X strictly a sample playback synth? There's no CX3 or any of the other engines in the Kronos/Nautilus. I fear the Nautilus IS the Korg flagship, which for me simply does not cut it for live performance. They chopped way too many RT controls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: