Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg PA5x demo experience
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Korg PA5x demo experience Reply with quote

Today i was at a small demo of the PA5x in the Netherlands by Korg support manager and demonstrator in the benelux Chris from Lommel..

First of my experiences with the pa5x after some short hands on..

A) its build like a truck..
B) the new OS feels lightning fast and totally lagfree
C) the sound is spot on from massive where needed to
D) its a huge step forward from the pa4x, where it comes to interface, usefriendlyness, dsp power and overall sound quallity (yes the dsp makes a difference)
E) missing features like midi to style converter and kaos didn’t make release but will be added in a patch when they are finished… also there are a lot of new and convienence features that will be added, like syncing the audio loops from the pads and mp3 files with a midiclock. And many many more
F) everything is newly developed from scratch, it shows in a positive way and a negative way (bugs). But to squash them bugs Korg needs more input and feedback then they can get in house. So its important for owners to report every bug they find.. on the positieve side, the user experience is realy smooth. And i didn’t encounter any bugs during the three hours demo and handson.
G) EC5 is soon to be replaced by a new pedal, presumably a USB device..
H) There is a possitive influence visual inside Korg comming from the new German manager at Korg Italy, but it will take time …. But in a few patches/versions the pa5x will be where we want it to be.
I) the 88 key version should be available after summer.
J) korg and all other keyboard companies are hit very hard by the shortage of components. Not just Korg, but also Yamaha and Roland, almost all instruments are on weeks to months of backorders
K) the Musikant version will probably have to wait till early 2023. It will come with even more styles then the pa4x muzikant and even have a section for dutch styles.. it also comes with 4GB of extra sounds, many pro sounds from the Kronos Kurt Adler selections.
L) korg is still developing the instrument with the Pro musicians in mind. The operating experience on th surface got better, but the depth is still there.

All in all i considered it a very positive experience.

Just one thing, but i guess we all know that, don’t be an early adapter to a brand new instrument if you rely on it for your live gigs. Wait at least a year after the release and follow these forums to see when its a safe moment to addapt.
usaraiya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy to hear your positive report along with an excellent fair & balanced review of the new flagship!
Very Happy
Uday
mlavio829

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Korg PA5x demo experience Reply with quote

Thanks Bachus!
This is very positive news.
It seems Canada hasn’t gotten any shipments of any variants of the PA5X yet at least according to the 3 major music centres here: Long and McQuade, Cosmo Music, Steve’s Music.

My preorder is supposed to come in November and after reading the many negative points on these forums it’s a little concerning but this sounds positive.
bensel46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been the owner of a Pa5X - 76 since July 1st and can fully endorse Bachus' experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bensel46/videos
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus, you have writren:
"E) missing features like midi to style converter and kaos didn’t make release but will be added in a patch when they are finished… also there are a lot of new and convienence features that will be added, like syncing the audio loops from the pads and mp3 files with a midiclock. And many many more"

Are those information confirmed?
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pawlikp100 wrote:
"E) missing features like midi to style converter and kaos didn’t make release but will be added in a patch when they are finished… also there are a lot of new and convienence features that will be added, like syncing the audio loops from the pads and mp3 files with a midiclock. And many many more"

The first two are confirmed as being under development by Roland customs manager Chris v Lommmel as being under development and they will be added soon in a patch, like all other missing feautures from the pa4x that are still missing

When thats done they will start adding new features.. the one i recalled (syncing audio) will most likely be part of that, but was not actually confirmed by Chris, it was a possibility we discussed and i put it here as an example of what to expect..
Mothman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg PA5x demo experience Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:

All in all i considered it a very positive experience.

+1000.
I picked up my 61 5x a couple of weeks ago and fully agree. Yeah, lotsa bugs and we are all (mostly willing) beta testers. Patience is a necessity as is finding temporary work-arounds until future OS patches do the fixes. Anyone who knows anything about the AAA video games industry knows this scenario only too well!
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news...

I hope this is also addressed and not being talked about, So not a bug but a major design flaw which is also hampered by some bugs...

Not being able to save two styles to song-book for recall after all the edits in both styles to use with the X-FADER is possibly one of the largest over-sites of PA5X so far...

Also to include with this, the main screen locks are not working when you prioritise Set numbers 1 to 4 to be locked in a highlighted style before you Cross-Fade...

The Creativity Potential for this is ((((HUGE)))) but unfortunately at this moment in time you can not save any of your work with this New lnnovation....

Which relegate X-FADER to know more than a gimmick at this present stage (strongly hope this is corrected at some piont)

I am amazed at this over-site considering X-FADER is ment to be the star of the show for PA5X...
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D575 wrote:
Good news...

I hope this is also addressed and not being talked about, So not a bug but a major design flaw which is also hampered by some bugs...

Not being able to save two styles to song-book for recall after all the edits in both styles to use with the X-FADER is possibly one of the largest over-sites of PA5X so far...

Also to include with this, the main screen locks are not working when you prioritise Set numbers 1 to 4 to be locked in a highlighted style before you Cross-Fade...

The Creativity Potential for this is ((((HUGE)))) but unfortunately at this moment in time you can not save any of your work with this New lnnovation....

Which relegate X-FADER to know more than a gimmick at this present stage (strongly hope this is corrected at some piont)

I am amazed at this over-site considering X-FADER is ment to be the star of the show for PA5X...

Its quite easy to overcome, make a setlist and quickly load both players with a new song..

It would be highly illogical to have two songs in one songbook entry.. but an option tomload two songbook entries at once would be very welcome
davekalbach

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D575 wrote:

Personally I feel the On Screen Graphic should Fade with the Fader position as well. When mixing two Styles or Songs it would be good to have that visual cue as to which is more active, or whether they are balanced.

Has anyone caught a bug with the Fader? I notice if I play two songs / styles when X-Fading the volume increases. If I then move the Fader to FULL one side or the other, then STOP the Player not in use the volume decreases. When I START the same Player (non-playing, fully OFF) the volume increases.

Example: Start and Match two styles. X-Fade to just Player 1, then turn off Player 2 (volume on Player 1 decreases) - Start Player 2 but do not adjust X-Fader, and Player 1 steps up in volume.

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
foxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote
Quote:
But to squash them bugs Korg needs more input and feedback then they can get in house.

I'm sure users would have far more confidence in their feedback reaching Korg if Korg had a regular presence here. You will remember several years ago Paulo from Korg Italy and Rich F. and Dan Phillips of Korg US were all frequent contributors. We all felt valued and part of the Korg environment - now it feels as though we don't matter. Not at all beneficial to customer relations.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
D575 wrote:
Good news...

Its quite easy to overcome, make a setlist and quickly load both players with a new song..

It would be highly illogical to have two songs in one songbook entry.. but an option tomload two songbook entries at once would be very welcome

My mistake... You are correct, that's interesting...

now we just need the screen "keyboard set" locks to work which looks like a bug....

This has change thing considerably for me and I agree a option to load two songbook entries at once into both Players would helpful but for now this is very useful as I have just tried this... definitely some confusion here on my part (!).. thanks for pointing this out as this was holding me back Smile
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg PA5x demo experience Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Today i was at a small demo of the PA5x in the Netherlands by Korg support manager and demonstrator in the benelux Chris from Lommel..

Just one thing, but i guess we all know that, don’t be an early adapter to a brand new instrument if you rely on it for your live gigs. Wait at least a year after the release and follow these forums to see when its a safe moment to addapt.

Was there any mention made of including the Backing Sequence and Step Backing Sequence modes of Recording that the Pa4X has?
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the review Bachus. I gather they would still have all the old style editing features they had in the prior models like being able to import and export styles as midi files etc. Another oneI used a lot was being able to turn a style track into a pad and vice versa.

Just hoping they bring a detailed manual out soon.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
davekalbach

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
pawlikp100 wrote:

The first two are confirmed as being under development by Roland customs manager Chris v Lommmel as being under development and they will be added soon in a patch, like all other missing feautures from the pa4x that are still missing

When thats done they will start adding new features.. the one i recalled (syncing audio) will most likely be part of that, but was not actually confirmed by Chris, it was a possibility we discussed and i put it here as an example of what to expect..

From an unconfirmed source - but he states this email came directly from KORG

...I received an email from Korg Support"Thank you for contacting Korg USA Product Support.
There are no plans to add the standard MIDI file to style conversion software in the Pa5x but Korg is looking at a better way to record and load custom styles into the Pa5x….possibly using a DAW.
The Kaoss effect is not currently in the Pa5x but I am happy to forward your request to our development team for consideration in a future os update."...

I hope this isn't true, but we shall see

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: