Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are the new PA5X styles compatible with PA4X?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dmkeys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:28 am    Post subject: Are the new PA5X styles compatible with PA4X? Reply with quote

Are the new styles in the PA5X compatible with the PA4X or not?

Does the PA5X use the same style format as the PA4X or did Korg change the style format again to prevent sharing the styles with an older model?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO!!!
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
MikeVVught

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Are the new PA5X styles compatible with PA4X? Reply with quote

Dmkeys wrote:
Are the new styles in the PA5X compatible with the PA4X or not?

Does the PA5X use the same style format as the PA4X or did Korg change the style format again to prevent sharing the styles with an older model?

No. But question: would you like to, at this moment? It is known by now almost all of the styles within the Pa5X are slightly modified styles from the Pa4X. Bare new ones... Confused
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeVVught wrote:
would you like to, at this moment?

My personal answer is - no thanks. My reason is that I already have 1000+ styles loaded ready to play on my PA4x.
I don't doubt that some of the re-vamping of the PA4x's styles in the PA5x are nice and new styles are often nice to have.
Often the "new model" will sound better overall (seems to be the general feedback from most PA5x owners) so the styles will sound different anyway.
I am not 100% sure if the PA5x styles would be compatible with previous models - very much doubt it this time but I think some owners are already trying these things.

I am trying to get a grip on the PA5x new OS and features to see if it will really do more than I currently have & need on my PA4x.
STYLES and SOUNDS are not my priority already having so many high quality ones on my PA4x.

My personal questions are:
Can I perform comfortably on the PA5x as I do on my PA4x - answer is no.
Does the PA5x give me features I've been desperately wanting - answer is no.
Does the PA5x have less features than the PA4x that I need and use - answer is yes.
Does the PA5x enable me to use all the main features I need for performing and recording - answer is no.

I don't doubt that these things will improve and change but at this point the PA5x is much less than a replacement for my PA4x, hence I cannot use it.
This is the first time since my first Korg arranger over 22 years ago that I simply cannot go ahead with the new model....

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
MikeVVught

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
MikeVVught wrote:
would you like to, at this moment?

My personal answer is - no thanks. My reason is that I already have 1000+ styles loaded ready to play on my PA4x.
I don't doubt that some of the re-vamping of the PA4x's styles in the PA5x are nice and new styles are often nice to have.
Often the "new model" will sound better overall (seems to be the general feedback from most PA5x owners) so the styles will sound different anyway.
I am not 100% sure if the PA5x styles would be compatible with previous models - very much doubt it this time but I think some owners are already trying these things.

I am trying to get a grip on the PA5x new OS and features to see if it will really do more than I currently have & need on my PA4x.
STYLES and SOUNDS are not my priority already having so many high quality ones on my PA4x.

I get your point, Pete. Because your income partly comes from live gigs you do not want to put your performance in a new black box without knowing what the result shall be. I wouldn't do either even I just make music for hobby.

You're talking about getting a grip on Pa5X' new OS and features. I'm curious to see if the OS is new. I know Pa4X' OS is a Mint Linux version (the first Linux version used on Android smartphones). Now I'm wondering what kind of OS Pa5X is using. If I can get a copy of the OS I'll figure it out. Might be a new subject of a hack to make a real new arranger... Cool

Quote:
My personal questions are:
Can I perform comfortably on the PA5x as I do on my PA4x - answer is no.
Does the PA5x give me features I've been desperately wanting - answer is no.
Does the PA5x have less features than the PA4x that I need and use - answer is yes.
Does the PA5x enable me to use all the main features I need for performing and recording - answer is no.

I agree. I don't want to give up options I like in favour to get the newest stuff available. I just bought myself the Pa4X because it has more features than my previous Pa800 had. Should I buy the Pa5X I'd have less more options than the Pa4X. A no-brainer.

Quote:
I don't doubt that these things will improve and change but at this point the PA5x is much less than a replacement for my PA4x, hence I cannot use it.
This is the first time since my first Korg arranger over 22 years ago that I simply cannot go ahead with the new model....

Very Happy

I can imagine that, Pete. But I think in the past 22 years you've learned as much as I did regarding electronics: be aware when to switch to something new. New stuff isn't always the best right since its reveal. I've never ever seen ie a new iOS for iPhone without bugs. The same for keyboards: the Pa3X was a disaster immediately after its reveal. Pa4X the same. And now aigain the Pa5X. It shall never change and professionals like you have to take care when switching to new gear. That's why I wait quite a long time before buying new gear. An update of the OS might fix the bugs and enhance the keyboard.
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, nicely summarized. All points apply to us recreational players as well. I had hopes for the 88-key model in that it might replace both my KronosX 88 and my 4X. Doesn't seem likely at this point.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=127542

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: