Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drawbars Setting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gourockian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:35 am    Post subject: Drawbars Setting Reply with quote

Hi, I've just very recently received my Pa1000 after waiting almost 8 months and have a couple of questions regarding the Drawbars Settings.

1: Is it possible to set the default to not have the Tone Noise Key On, Key Off and Leakage screen buttons selected? I prefer to play without these most of the time and don't want to have to deselect them manually every time I want to use Drawbars. The same question for the Percussion button.

2: I've noticed occasionally that sometimes when selecting the Rotor On/Off button and pushing on the Joy Stick, I can hear no change in the sound but at other times, it changes as expected. The same thing happens with the Slow/Fast screen button. Is this normal in the sense that it depends on other settings or am I perhaps doing something wrong? Hopefully, there is not some kind of intermittent fault.

I would appreciate any advice, please.

Regards,

Al
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rotary effect is one of the master / insert effect which is assigned to the joystick. Some of the organ sounds are velocity sensitive so depending on how hard / soft you press the keys will determine whether or not the rotary effect will sound.
Gourockian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NativeAngels wrote:
Some of the organ sounds are velocity sensitive so depending on how hard / soft you press the keys will determine whether or not the rotary effect will sound.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I understand what you are saying about various organ sounds but I was referring only to the digital drawbars screen, although I perhaps did not make that too clear.

It seems strange that I can choose to have the rotor on or off sometimes but other times nothing happens, even though I'm doing the same thing, at least I think I am. Smile
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Drawbars Setting Reply with quote

Gourockian wrote:
.. Is it possible to set the default to not have the Tone Noise Key On, Key Off .....

If you do not want to use sounds with settings as memorized, it is necessary to change that settings and rewrite that sound, or write that sound as an additional new sound.

With drawbars if you open the sound select window from the control panel and choose the side tab "Organ" of "Factory" you will find the sound "Drawbars". When you choose these drawbar sound you always will get the same settings as memorized in factory sound bank.

Factory sounds are standard Pa1000 Sounds, that cannot normally be modified. But if you want to change settings of a Factory Sound location, deselect the Protect > Factory checkbox in the Global > Mode Preferences > Media page and rewrite that sound with settings of your taste.

It is recommended to change settings of sounds (also of drawbars) and better write/save the new or edited sound not to Factory sound bank but to an User Location, because for user locations it is not necessary to change factory protection in globals.

When replacing a Factory Sound, also be warned that all Keyboard Sets, Styles and Songs making use of it will be modified as well. Use this feature with great care, better save your sound creations to user locations!

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Gourockian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi siebenhirter, thanks very much for your detailed reply. I've followed your instructions and was able to write the modified sound to my first User Set Bank and sure enough, it sounded the way I wanted.

The only problem is that it doesn't give me access to the digital drawbars to make changes while playing. So unless there is something different that I can try, I guess I would need to write a series of different drawbar settings to various User Set Bank locations. Or, resign myself to having to manually deselect the four buttons every time I switch back to The Drawbars Settings screen.

Again, my lack of experience here is probably very obvious so if there is something else I can try, please let me know.

Thanks and kind regards,

Al.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: drawbars Reply with quote

Gourockian wrote:
.. problem is that it doesn't give me access to the digital drawbars to make changes while playing ..

Settings for the Digital Drawbars are memorized in a Keyboard Set and there are some good sets you can try from group "Organs" like
DWB Org.Aft 16 1 4
DWB Dark Org.Y+ 16 1 5
DWB Jazz Org. Y+ 16 1 6
DWB Clas.Perc.Y+ 16 1
Full DWB 1 Y+ 16 1 12
Full DWB 2 Y+ 16 1 13
DWB Perc.Org. 1 16 1 14
DWB Perc.Org. 2 16 1 15 etc..

If you like to use "Autoselect Keyboard Set" try to save KbdSets in KbdSet-Library locations 1 - 9, so with buttons you directly can access 9 different KbdSets additionally to that 4 KbdSets of your Style-Performance.

How to organize automatically selecting the Keyboard Sets from the library you will find in user manual "Automatically selecting the Keyboard Sets from the library".

There is a non-published trick to use different Keyboard Set assignment to all buttons:
Each time you choose "Write Auto Select Preferences" one configuration of keyboard set assignements is saved in xxx.SET/GLOBAL/Setup.gbl.
Now different named xxx.SET folder can be saved with different Keyboard Set assignement for the nine Autoselects-buttons.
Without to load a complete xxx.SET it is possible only to simply load one of a single setup.gbl file for using another keyboard Set assignement.
It is hard to access drawbars of Pa1000 without a real drawbar-controller.
To change drawbar-settings in realtime is possible with nrpn-commands - but NRPNs are sent with 14-bit-values and there are none/few 14-bit Midi controllers on market.
It also can be done via sysex-commands thru diy-Arduino-controllers.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Gourockian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have tried out those organ sounds and was quite impressed by most of them.

I'll try to set them up for easy access as you suggest but now have to concentrate on picking out sounds for my first 'gig' this Friday. In the last hour or so, I have been asked to play at the funeral of a friend. I've done this before at other funerals but normally used a digital piano or organ at the church. I only play in a few keys (to my shame) so having a transpose function is usually essential.

I had intended being there as one of the mourners but now have to take my days old Pa1000 along so need to set it up as best I can. At least I only need to think about sounds as rhythms won't be required.

Some of the information you have given me will most likely come in useful......my only problem is getting the time to implement it.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.....it's much appreciated.

Regards,

Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: