Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New gear G.A.S. reflux!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:02 am    Post subject: New gear G.A.S. reflux!! Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Firstly, sincerely hope you're all staying well and safe.

Well all this talk about new gear and watching a couple of current NAMM vids has caused my G.A.S. problem to rear its head again.
So I thought, maybe it's time to "refresh" my KK1 (let alone upgrade my PA4x to PA5x etc...etc..).
But what is there out there to come close to the KK?
I thought that maybe I should give the Nautilus a fair hearing but then as we all know, the basic reviews/descriptions are much like this (and don't get me wrong, it is a very nice piece of gear):
SOS a year ago wrote:
The Nautilus is, in essence, a Kronos that has gained a polyphonic arpeggiator but has lost KARMA, aftertouch, a wealth of top panel controls and about a third of the price. Although it looks a bit Spartan, it clearly sits between the top end of the Krome range and the Kronos itself, although much closer to the latter.

So I jammed away heavily last night on my KK1 and came to the conclusion that changing at all right now might be a regretful backwards step.
All I could do is add to my gear and that involves divorce lawyers Wink

I have thought about a switch to Yamaha or Roland but end up wanting to ADD those and not replace my KK.

Am I alone feeling like this - am I seriously missing some amazing KK replacements out there?

Sorry, just waffly topic.

Take care

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah.

To me, my KK is the most versatile and, especially, inspiring digital instrument ever. I enjoy playing it every time. Just the best. Wink
pete.m

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with KK. There are many other ways of making music, of course, but I haven't come across anything that can replace the Kronos in terms of workflow, sequencing and synths. I do add other modules into the mix from time to time, just to add new elements.

If you're restless and willing to risk a mild GAS attack and the divorce lawyers, maybe you could branch out just a little. I have a very limited, separate, set up where I just use one small synth (maybe a K-Station or a Microfreak or something, put through a Hologram Microcosm or a Kaoss KP3) and improvise pieces using a digital multitrack. Generally, I'll leave them raw - just as they've come out - but occasionally I'll transfer one of these pieces into the Kronos and work on it some more. Very rarely, I'll make a piece in Ableton, but I much prefer to stick with hardware than stare at screens.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The mere fact that this is difficult to answer after the KRONOS being on the market for over a decade is so sad. So much for competition.

These days the only real competition is in software. An iPad or a Computer running VST’s seems to be the only place where there’s seriously high end innovation and competition.

Kind regards
Sharp.
pete.m

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting situation for those Kronos owners out there because the KK is getting long in the tooth hardware-wise. For me, I never looked back when I purchased the Nautilus. But I did not give up my Oasys. One thing to consider are the new sounds that are in the Nautilus; for they are unique and a good start off point for future sound development. The price is a point to consider as well. Often hardware purchases are emotional especially when we see our "pet" keyboard being set to the side in the name of progress. Oasys owners used simular objections when presented with the choice to go with the KK and shelve their Oasys boards. There really is not that much difference between the Nautilus and the Oasys, in my opinion; but I am happy to have both in the studio. GAS is always with us in some form or another. My GAS, now is directed towards the "unannounced" Pa5X and the OB-X8. And not an inexpensive one either. Shocked

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New gear G.A.S. reflux!! Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

Am I alone feeling like this - am I seriously missing some amazing KK replacements out there?

Nope. The Kronos is irreplaceable, at this time, as far as I'm concerned.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to supersede either the Kronos or OASYS as far as I can find.

I’d be happy if someone made a decent hardware multitrack with MIDI at this stage…
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out the Zoom R20? It's not a complete stranger to MIDI, and it will suck in audio with conviction. I'm not sure how much MIDI control it offers, because I tend to coordinate things external to my Tascam MTR with MIDI, and then not worry about timing correction.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Quote:

The mere fact that this is difficult to answer after the KRONOS being on the market for over a decade is so sad. So much for competition.

These days the only real competition is in software. An iPad or a Computer running VST’s seems to be the only place where there’s seriously high end innovation and competition.

Kind regards
Sharp.

Well said!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just maybe(as i swallow back my impulse to politely insult korg) if all the other big name brands in the business have not been able to reasonably take the state of the art beyond what Kronos did 10 years ago, just maybe, even Korg needs serious time and work to outdo the Kronos with a worthy replacement…?

Perhaps something to set the bar for another 10 or 20 years, or lead the whole industry in a new direction? And that would need no hurry when you consider Kronos is still among the top tier despite others trying to do better.

Yep….probably just as hard for Korg to outdo Kronos, as it has been for the competition. But it can be done, with enough time and work. And maybe too much money. ?
hermanmusic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Nothing to supersede either the Kronos or OASYS as far as I can find.

I’d be happy if someone made a decent hardware multitrack with MIDI at this stage…

Yes and yes again!
stuartpryer
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Oasys and it was superb. Id love korg to produce an Oasys 2. With the same build quality. Using most of the Nautilus software. With a hinged hd screen 13 inch, ability to plug in a bigger monitor, ability to play vsts natively so you could add wavestate etc. it would be expensive. But most of the R and D has been done by korg. Id prefer an updated 88note action like the Roland pha5 with with aftertouch. And a high quality 61 note or 76 note synth action version with aftertouch. Im probably dreaming?

Cheers

Stuart

e-mail stuartpryer@gmail.com
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartpryer wrote:
Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I had an Oasys and it was superb. Id love korg to produce an Oasys 2. With the same build quality. Using most of the Nautilus software. With a hinged hd screen 13 inch, ability to plug in a bigger monitor, ability to play vsts natively so you could add wavestate etc. it would be expensive. But most of the R and D has been done by korg. Id prefer an updated 88note action like the Roland pha5 with with aftertouch. And a high quality 61 note or 76 note synth action version with aftertouch. Im probably dreaming?

Hmmm, I'm dreaming with you for sure..... wouldn't that be the ultimate!!!!

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A KRONOS replacement is in theory a very simple thing.

1: A 64Bit OS allowing for more RAM to be installed and addressed for streaming samples.
2: Add 3 new engines, Wavestate, ModWave, OpSix.

That alone would do it for me.

To throw the ultimate cherry on top, give it the ability to host VST’s.

Sharp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: