Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some poor sounds on the Nautilus.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Some poor sounds on the Nautilus. Reply with quote

Hi,
Recently exchanged my Roland RD2000 for a Nautilus88 and it's a beautiful keyboard. That said, I have a Korg PA4X and the acoustic guitar sounds and the electric piano sounds (for me anyway) are much better on the PA4X. I'm surprised because although the Nautilus is based on a Kronos it is an instrument that's only been out for just over 12 months. The PA4X is over six years old, so surely the Nautilus would have been given sounds at least on a par with the PA4X.
Chris
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the Nautilus is a beautiful keyboard with wonderful sounds available. As far as acoustic guitar sounds, the difference between my Nautilus and my Pa3xle are virtually non-existent. On the other hand, the various electric piano sounds on the Nautilus I find are superior to what are available on the Pa3xle. In fact, the raw piano sounds in the Nautilus show an advantage because of their sampling quality. The sounds are not heavily modified with EFX and so seem dry, but really shine when EFX are applied. The Electric piano sounds are many and more accurately sampled reproductions in my view. Now maybe the difference between the Pa4x and Nautilus is not as evident as between my Pa3xle and Nautilus, but they most certainly are not worse. Cool

https://youtu.be/cdM9S_d-QqE

Here is an, in depth, look at the electric piano efforts in the Nautilus.

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
aellison62

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the acoustic guitar and I would also include electric guitar. For me, these are the glaring sub par sounds on the Nautilus. It is easily fixed by purchasing a good guitar EXs fro the Korg store. I purchased a KApro single coil electric guitar soundset and thought it really made an improvement. There are several to choose from in the Korg store. And the Korg store has biannual sales if you wanna save some money, the next one usually comes around Nov= Dec
Jovers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aellison62 wrote:
I agree about the acoustic guitar and I would also include electric guitar. For me, these are the glaring sub par sounds on the Nautilus. It is easily fixed by purchasing a good guitar EXs fro the Korg store. I purchased a KApro single coil electric guitar soundset and thought it really made an improvement. There are several to choose from in the Korg store. And the Korg store has biannual sales if you wanna save some money, the next one usually comes around Nov= Dec

It's a shame that they are no better guitar sounds (acoustic and electric) in the Nautilus. Why do you have to pay extra for that? Also some woodwind sounds (saxes) are much better in de Pa4x than in the Nautilus. Unbelievable!

Perhaps there will be an update soon where some issues are solved!
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I initiated this Thread as I was disappointed with some of the Nautilus sounds. It's five months on and I am now getting to grips with the workings of the keyboard. I probably jumped the gun with some of my comments, particularly about the electric Piano sounds. In all honesty, they are actually very good and there are plenty of them. The Korg Nautilus gets a fair bit of criticism (particularly from Kronos owners) so I just wanted to correct my previous comments.
Chris
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nautilus/Kronos have lots of sound capabilities that go beyond what the Korg PA series can do, between having all the additional sound engines and additional effects capabilities. The SGX2 huge streaming pianos, the EP1 EPs with modeling, the VA synthesis engines, the FM synthesis engine, etc., provide some sonic capabilities simply don't have. OTOH, the PA series have their DNC sounds which incorporate some acoustic instrument behavior emulations that go beyond what's on the Kronos/Nautilus. So while, on balance, Nautilus has the sonic advantage, there are some sounds which are better on the PAs.
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
I think we'll see a replacement for the Kronos sometime in the future. Hopefully they will use some more advanced hardware. The idea that you have to wait nearly three minutes from switching on to being able to play is strange in this day and age. Hopefully a combination of DNC sounds and existing Kronos sounds (similar to what is on the PA5X) with the same vast editing and sequencing facilities will be included in the new keyboard/workstation.
Chris
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelsea4023 wrote:
Hi Scott,
I think we'll see a replacement for the Kronos sometime in the future. Hopefully they will use some more advanced hardware. The idea that you have to wait nearly three minutes from switching on to being able to play is strange in this day and age. Hopefully a combination of DNC sounds and existing Kronos sounds (similar to what is on the PA5X) with the same vast editing and sequencing facilities will be included in the new keyboard/workstation.
Chris

I'm hoping they decide to sell a Windows-based Kronos/Nautilus. This allows us to choose the hardware and we no longer have to worry about proprietary hardware failing and no longer being available. I love my Kronos. I no longer gig with it because I'm afraid of hardware failure. If I could buy a top shelf laptop and dedicate it to a Kronos, I'd be all over that. I wouldn't even care too much what Korg charged for it. It'd be worth the peace of mind.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: