Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Alternatives?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Kronos Alternatives? Reply with quote

I know, this may seem an odd place to be asking for alternatives to the Kronos, but I want opinions specifically from Kronos users.

You see, I love my Kronos, but it's killing my back. I need something lighter-weight that I won't need help loading into the van or hoisting onto the keyboard stand. Something that covers pianos, organs and synth leads equally well.

Does such a thing even exist?
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Alternatives? Reply with quote

Bitflipper wrote:
I know, this may seem an odd place to be asking for alternatives to the Kronos, but I want opinions specifically from Kronos users.

You see, I love my Kronos, but it's killing my back. I need something lighter-weight that I won't need help loading into the van or hoisting onto the keyboard stand. Something that covers pianos, organs and synth leads equally well.

How light do you need it to be? How many keys do you need it to have? Does it matter whether or not it uses a hammer action?

But going for the lightest possibilities, the most recent Kronos 61 is about 31.5 lbs.... the Nautilus has basically all the same sounds but only knocks off about 3 lbs (though it's a bigger difference on the 73s, where you're also switching from a hammer to a non-hammer action). For something super light, the Vox Continental offers a subset of Kronos' piano/organ/synth sounds at under 16 lbs for 61 keys, or about 18.5 for 73.

If you want something that is closer to the Kronos in total functionality than the Vox is, while still giving you a pianos and a tonewheel organ engine and a VA synth engine in lighter-than-Kronos boxes, you might look at the Kurzweil PC4 series and the new Roland Fantom-0 series.

If you don't need that much functionality but want to look at other alternatives to the Vox as a mostly piano/organ/synth box, you could look at the Nord Stage 3, Hammond SK Pro or Roland VR09/VR730.

Of everything I mentioned, only the Kurzweil PC4/PC4-7 have aftertouch, which might matter if you use that a lot on your Kronos.

If your big limitation with weight is that you want 88 and/or hammer action keys, besides some of the ones I mentioned that are available that way, you can also plug a lightweight hammer/88 into a lighter board. For example, a Kronos 61 plus, say, a 24 lb Casio PX5S (which can be plugged into the Kronos and used as a controller) is a lot easier to move than a single Kronos 88. Lots of combinations are available with this approach.
average_male

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg Nautilus or Kronos LS (light weighted keys)
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look at the Yamaha MODX7: I like the MODX CFX and Imperial Grand pianos better than the Korg pianos, it has good organ / acoustic instrument / synth sounds, etc....the 76-key keyboard is long enough for piano parts and splits, although the semi-weighted feel is not that good (but I got used to mine, it's certainly usable)...and at 16 lbs it's way easier to carry to the gig...

df
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
You might look at the Yamaha MODX7: I like the MODX CFX and Imperial Grand pianos better than the Korg pianos, it has good organ / acoustic instrument / synth sounds, etc....the 76-key keyboard is long enough for piano parts and splits, although the semi-weighted feel is not that good (but I got used to mine, it's certainly usable)...and at 16 lbs it's way easier to carry to the gig...

df

To me the highlight of the montage is its huge collection of arps…. Modx has a sub par keybed, the Montage however has very good keybeds with aftertouch..

Combining them with karma on the kronos makes a lot of fun…
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

average_male wrote:
Korg Nautilus or Kronos LS (light weighted keys)

+1 Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the MODX, but it wouldn't be my first choice for "pianos, organs and synth leads" for someone coming from Kronos. The organs and the VA synth types of sounds are not the MODX' strengths. That's why I didn't mention it along with all those others I mentioned.
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your observations!

I am currently using the 73-key Kronos, a purely practical choice.

I'd previously used an 88-key Yamaha MO8, and intentionally went for the 73 when I bought the Kronos because 88 keys (with a Hammond XK-1 alongside) took up too much space on tight stages (6-piece band). So I'm looking for a 73- or 76-key instrument.

I actually preferred the action on the Yamaha for piano, although it was (literally) painful when playing organ. The Korg's keyboard is a reasonable compromise, and has allowed me to retire the separate organ for gigs.

I have played a Montage, and really liked it. But it's also a behemoth. That's what drew me to the Nord Stage 3 - smaller, lighter and more ergonomically thought-out for live performance.

I've been doing a lot of research this past week, and am just about ready to reluctantly conclude that I may already have the best synth/sampler/piano there is. The big color display is such a help (even if it's useless under bright sun) and nobody else has that. The Kronos pretty much covers every feature I could ask for (save one: the ability to quickly transpose via a single knob, but nobody else has that, either).

So thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Looks like I may just stick with what I've got and just be nicer to my younger bandmates with their stronger backs.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switches above the Kronos' joystick are used to transpose by an octave in many piano Programs. Look at those Programs to see how it's done. The joystick pitch bend itself can be used, with joystick lock set by one of the above switches, to hold the transpose amount. Set the joystick pitch bend amount to the intended transpose level, so the joystick just needs to be pushed over and the switch pressed to set the transpose. There are other ways, such as using KARMA.

Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
I like the MODX, but it wouldn't be my first choice for "pianos, organs and synth leads" for someone coming from Kronos. The organs and the VA synth types of sounds are not the MODX' strengths. That's why I didn't mention it along with all those others I mentioned.

I'd agree with that. I have a Montage 7 as may main board (from which the MODX series is derived) and a Kronos X 61 as my second tier, and the Kronos is much stronger on Piano (the unlooped samples and sympathetic string resonance), organ and synth (AL-1 is still full of untapped potential for me). Having said that, the Montage/MODX engine can sound far more analog than you expect (as long as you are not trying to do really complex synthesis) - in that respect it is very SY77/99 like. But I still view its piano and organs as something that would get me through a gig if needed, not as a first choice. There will be people who think differently of course. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitflipper wrote:
The Kronos pretty much covers every feature I could ask for (save one: the ability to quickly transpose via a single knob, but nobody else has that, either).
I think buttons are much better than a knob for this. Knobs are great for continuous control, but buttons are better for precision. If you "overshoot" a filter or envelope setting by one increment, it makes no difference. If you overshoot your transpose amount by one increment, it can sound like a train wreck. I'd rather hit a button precisely two times to shift a whole step, than use a knob where I have to be careful about exactly how much I'm turning it (and probably have to keep my eyes on the screen besides).
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Axiom 49-key controller that implements transposition very well. It's got two buttons, one transposes up a semitone, the other down a semitone. The same buttons, when held, transpose up or down an octave. I wish that was a more common feature.

How I deal with it now is I have a page in the Kronos setlist for all the pianos I use with different transpositions, another page for all the organs. This makes it quick and easy to transpose on the fly.

I just love the Kronos touchscreen. If a song needs 5 different patches, I put them together in the setlist in the order I switch them.

The challenge is when I go to a jam or sub in a band, and the singer says "do you know the horn part for Sir Duke? Good. But we play it in C#. That won't be a problem, will it?" And this announcement is made on stage, during the gig.
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my new Nord Stage 3 arrived today. It's light, it's designed for live performance, the waterfall keys make playing organ a joy again.

I have to say, though, that it's given me a new appreciation for my Kronos. Side by side, the Kronos sounds sooo much better!

Hopefully, I'll learn how to get the most from the NS3, but for now it's looking like it'll initially just be relegated to being a MIDI controller for the Kronos when playing organs and synth leads.

I did a lot of research looking for a lightweight replacement for the Kronos. My conclusion - and this may not surprise many here - is that I already owned the best synth money can buy.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos has lots of unexplored potential still despite my having owned mine for 7 years.

I was doing an experiment the other day programming the pad for "in the air tonight" on several of my synths, including my Prophet X. Whilst it is quite a subdued pad, so you are not really stretching either synth or saying that a particular filter is essential for the dynamic response in the sound, the Kronos AL-1 version sounds as good as the Prophet X patch

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
jlgrimes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Alternatives? Reply with quote

Bitflipper wrote:

As far as the MODX is concerned, I wouldn't consider the Montage as it is almost just as heavy (76 key) but the MODX's are lightweight but less polyphony and realtime control are the main differences. The ModX was designed to be a lighter version to be easier to carry to a gig. Where the Montage is more for Studio use. That said I believe the Nautilus took weight into mind as well and seems more comparable to the ModX than a Kronos. I played a Nautilus in a store and it seems like the presets seem to be more "Modern" sounding than the Kronos.

Someone mentioned the Pianos not being as nice as the Kronos and I agree.

Montage overall is a more "Brighter/Thinner" sound than the Kronos, which does help for some patches but the pianos don't seem as Warm as the Kronos. The pianos IMO are the Montage biggest weak point IMO. Pretty much all other Montage samples are great or at least comparable to the Kronos.

The organs aren't that bad IMO although there isn't really an official model like the Kronos, they do feature programs with Drawbar emulations which are decent. and the Rhodes are Nice and "Well Produced" sounding where the Kronos has a more "Raw" sound. I prefer both actually Kronos for more Organic stuff, where the Montage kind of cut through a Mix more.

Synths are about similar, the Montage is a bit brighter/colder but at the same time in terms of presets, Montage sounds seem a bit more "Modern" IMO where alot of the Kronos synth sounds focus on doing old school song covers (which is nice for a gigging keyboardist btw.). Kronos sounds more "Analog" (Usually) but the Montage is no slouch although there are some things it just won't do well like Osc Sync, PWM, Where the Kronos is more flexible in these areas.

The FM-X engine overall though is nice as it can do things the Kronos can't (but vice versa with the Kronos). In the end it is probably up to the programmer as both are powerful.

For synth leads the Montage and Kronos is a tie.

The biggest usability gripe about the Montage is it's touch screen does seem a bit slower than the Kronos where changing a sound in a Live set seems much more quicker on the Kronos (using the Live Set). Montage usually has about a 1 second lag which can be critical if manually changing patches on the fly. Another con is that the Montage doesn't allow audio tracks like the Kronos does, so it wouldn't be the best option for doing stems (although I don't use these).

Other than that as far as GUI and getting around quickly I'd give the edge to the Montage. It is much quicker in terms of layering, editing, tweaking and almost every other aspect. What is also nice is any of your edits once stored is saved to flash memory. I often lose sounds when changing a Live Set on the Kronos as I will forget to save and once its powered down I lose my work.

But yeah Kronos is a very powerful machine but its size and bulkyness makes you not want to carry it to a gig (73 key version I have).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: