Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't get my LP-350 to send any MIDI information. Any help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pianos (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrdibleox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Can't get my LP-350 to send any MIDI information. Any help? Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

So I have this Korg LP-350 piano which has MIDI I/O. I want to send MIDI info to my audio interface, and from there to my computer.

I have the MIDI Cable in the the LP-350's MIDI Output, and of course the other end in my audio interface MIDI Input. However, I can't get the LP-350 to send any information. My audio interface (Presonus AudioBox USB 96) works perfectly fine, so I guess there's something that I'm missing with the LP-350.

Has anybody gone through the same problem or knows how to make it work? Anything will be helpful!

Thanks!!

(By the way, I have already checked my DAW's MIDI connections, tried every connection possible but nothing happens)
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MIDI Out port on the LP-350 needs to be connected to the Presonus MIDI In port.

The MIDI data being sent from the LP-350 consists on Note On, Note Off, Velocity, and other messages. It doesn't contain audio data.

If you want to receive the LP-350's audio signals to the computer via the PreSonus, connect the LP-350's Line Out jack to the PreSonus' Mic/Inst inputs 1 and 2, using a suitable cable. Set the PreSonus inputs 1 and 2 to L & R.

Last edited by voip on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

When you say that your audio interface works fine, do you mean that the MIDI IN works fine with another instrument?
What about the other direction? Send from your DAW notes to the piano (MIDI OUT on Presonus to MIDI IN on piano)?
You can try also to use the software MIDI-OX as a monitor of MIDI IN events on the Presonus. This to rule out incorrect settings in the DAW.

Good luck.
jrdibleox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The MIDI Out port on the LP-350 needs to be connected to the Presonus MIDI In port.

The MIDI data being sent from the LP-350 consists on Note On, Note Off, Velocity, and other messages. It doesn't contain audio data.

If you want to receive the LP-350's audio signals to the computer via the PreSonus, connect the LP-350's Line Out jack to the PreSonus' Mic/Inst inputs 1 and 2, using a suitable cable.

Yes, the MIDI Out port on the LP-350 is connected to the Presonus MIDI In port.
I'm only looking forward to sending MIDI messages info, not audio data.
Thanks for your answer though!
jrdibleox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Hi,

When you say that your audio interface works fine, do you mean that the MIDI IN works fine with another instrument?
What about the other direction? Send from your DAW notes to the piano (MIDI OUT on Presonus to MIDI IN on piano)?
You can try also to use the software MIDI-OX as a monitor of MIDI IN events on the Presonus. This to rule out incorrect settings in the DAW.

Good luck.

I mean, I haven't tested my audio interface with other MIDI instruments, but it's brand new and the things that I could test worked fine, so I'm already assuming the MIDI ports work fine.

I tried MIDI-OX but it didn't detect any of the piano notes I was playing.

Do I have to install an specific driver like the "KORG USB-MIDI Driver"?

Thank yuo!!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which DAW are you using? There should be a MIDI setup menu somewhere. There is no need for Korg MIDI drivers, since it is the PreSonus that is the USB MIDI device. The MIDI data coming across the DIN connected ports is relatively agnostic.

jrdibleox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Which DAW are you using? There should be a MIDI setup menu somewhere. There is no need for Korg MIDI drivers, since it is the PreSonus that is the USB MIDI device. The MIDI data coming across the DIN connected ports is relatively agnostic.

I'm using Cubase and Studio One. I've already checked their MIDI settings and all and made sure it recognized the PreSonus.
I've also tried MIDIOX though in order to avoid blaming any DAW, but it doesn't show anything there either. I play my LP-350 keys and nothing happens.
My MIDI cable is new by the way and I haven't particularly bought the cheapest one, so it should work properly.

Thanks for your answer, any more help or suggestions would be fantastic!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

To rule out your piano itself and MIDI cable you can try the following:

* Disconnect all MIDI cables from the piano
* Check it plays ok
* Set up the piano in Local Off mode. I.e. the piano will still transmit MIDI notes to the MIDI DIN OUT port but no longer internally to the sound engine -> hence no sound anymore
* Check that the piano indeed makes no sound. So the keyboard is internally disconnected from the sound engine.
* Now make a MIDI loopback: run your MIDI cable straight from MIDI OUT to MIDI IN on the LP-350. No other devices needed in between.
* Check that your piano makes again sound

If the last step is ok, this proves that your Piano transmits and receives MIDI notes properly and that your cable is ok. Then the problem must be elsewhere (audio interface, driver for the audio interface, settings in DAW)

At the end, don't forget to open up the loopback and switch to Local On mode.

From the manual:
To switch between the Local On/Off settings, hold down the TRANSPOSE/FUNCTION button and press the [PIANO 1/L] sound select button. Each time you press it, the Local setting will alternate between On and Off.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pianos (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: