Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to install 2.1.0 update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holografique

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Unable to install 2.1.0 update Reply with quote

Wavestate 2.0.1 on a Mac Mini (Intel) with macOS Monterey. Having issues updating my unit to v2.1.0. I've tried both the regular USB via NCM method, as well as the USB Boot mode, neither methods are successful.

For the USB/NCM mode: it goes through the entire process, the Wavestate even shows it's going through the firmware update (blinky lights, LCD screen update in progress messages, etc). It reboots, and then just loads right back into v2.0.1. The updater software indicates a version mismatch, giving me the option to retry. Any retry attempts just end up with the same process/failure described above.

For the USB Boot Mode: it also goes through the entire process, it successfully transfers over the .bin file, I pull the power, turn it back on, and it just boots right back to 2.0.1 as if nothing happened. No indication of any attempt to install the 2.1.0 bin.

Any others seeing this issue?
holografique

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I've tried now on two different Macs (Mac Mini and Macbook Pro), one running Monterey 12.2.1, and the other running 12.3. I've also tried different cables and going direct (no hubs).

Still nada, on both upgrade methods.
holografique

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a final note, I had no problem updating my Opsix from 2.0.0 to 2.0.1 using the same Mac, same cable, etc.

So based on my experience so far, definitely seems to be something wrong with the updater that is currently downloadable from Korg.

Please post here if you are seeing similar issues.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry for the difficulty. A few users have reported a similar problem. The solution is to use the "Restore Boot Partition" command in the Tools menu. Make sure to read the instructions in the manual; this command is only available if the wavestate is in USB Boot Mode.

After successfully running Restore Boot Partition, please run the 2.1.0 update again. It should work this time. Please let me know how it goes!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
holografique

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan! And no worries, I know these things happen Smile

I'll take another shot with the Restore Boot Partition option and report back my results.

Cheers!
holografique

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did it! Thanks Dan!!
BartJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Same problem but the mentioned solutions don't work Reply with quote

I have a Mac M1 but also tried both RNDIS & NCM via WIN10, changing the NCM/RNDIS setting in the WS.

Via Mac M1: does the whole update and then mismatch error. The boot recovery just hangs. I tried another USB cable as well.

Via W10: can' t see the device either way.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Same problem but the mentioned solutions don't work Reply with quote

BartJ wrote:
I have a Mac M1 but also tried both RNDIS & NCM via WIN10, changing the NCM/RNDIS setting in the WS.

Via Mac M1: does the whole update and then mismatch error. The boot recovery just hangs. I tried another USB cable as well.

Via W10: can' t see the device either way.

Hi Bart! I'm sorry that you're having difficulties. Please try using the "Restore Boot Partition" option, and then running the 2.1.0 installer again. That worked for holografique above:

To run “Restore Boot Partition:"

1. Start with the wavestate powered off.
2. Connect the wavestate via a USB cable.
3. Using three fingers on one hand, press and hold the following buttons simultaneously:
PERFORMANCE MOD KNOBS, MASTER, and NOTE ADVANCE
4. While holding the three buttons, press and release the power button on the back of the wavestate, to turn it on.
5. When the wavestate display shows the text “USB Boot Mode,” release the three buttons on the front panel.
6. In the macOS wavestate Updater application, open the Tools menu and select the command Restore Boot Partition.
A window appears, titled Start wavestate in USB Boot Mode, which includes a version of the instructions above.
7. Press the OK button to continue.
Note: After pressing OK, you may see a system message about accessing files on a remote volume. If the message appears, press OK to allow access.
Several progress messages will then appear. Once the initial Boot Mode process is complete, a confirmation message will appear.
The wavestate must now be re-started. To do so:
8. Physically disconnect the wavestate power cable.
The power switch is software-controlled, and will not function at this point of the installation. You may see a system message about a disk not being ejected properly. You can safely ignore this message.
9. Re-connect the wavestate power cable, and then turn on the wavestate.

After this, run the 2.1.0 installer again. Let me know if that works for you!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
jfish930

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

Thanks for this helpful post. Unfortunately not only am knew to using a Wavestate, but I am also a new MAC user.

I can’t figure out #6 on your post; how do I go to “updater tools”?
Thanks again!
danatkorg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfish930 wrote:
Hi Dan,

Thanks for this helpful post. Unfortunately not only am knew to using a Wavestate, but I am also a new MAC user.

I can’t figure out #6 on your post; how do I go to “updater tools”?
Thanks again!

Hi! I mean the "Tools" menu in the wavestate Updater application.
jfish930

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan,

Sorry to be so dense, but how do I find the tools menu in the Updater application? I don’t see that at all in my application

Also, I was advised that I can’t use a hub with my MacBook M1 pro and need a cable to plug directly from the WS to the Mac? Does that make sense? I’d have to go out and buy one

Thanks again!
jfish930

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: switched to a PC and was able to update first to 1.06 and then to 2.1.0 without having to use reboot.
Now to hopefully use my Mac to download the librarian/editor…..
jfish930

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Thanks again for your help! Updated to 2.1 and successfully using the librarian/editor on my Mac. Very cool stuff!
snugsound

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running into the same issue here. Unfortunately, when I try to put the WS into USB boot mode, the updater can't find the device. I also see this in device manager, which looks a bit suspect:

Has anyone else encountered this?
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfish930 wrote:
Also, I was advised that I can’t use a hub with my MacBook M1 pro and need a cable to plug directly from the WS to the Mac? Does that make sense?

I use mine through a USB 3.0 hub, and it works just fine. A 1.0 hub won't work, but 2/3 will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: