Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble using microX with sequencer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MD Roche

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Trouble using microX with sequencer Reply with quote

I'm trying to use a microX as a module with a Yamaha RM1X synth/sequencer. I'm able to play the RM1X sounds on the microX but not vice versa. I've read the manual but apparently it's not nearly helpful enough.

The MIDI cable is connected to the IN jack on the microX and the OUT jack on the RM1X. I'm using headphones on the RM1X.

Here are the relevant settings:

In MULTI 0:Play I set Track 1 to my desired sound, in multi set #016.

In MULTI 2:Track Param, the track is set to BTH.

In GLOBAL 0:System, Multi Mode is set to "for Ext-Seq".

In GLOBAL 1:MIDI, MIDI Channel is set to 01.

Does all of this look good? Is there anything I'm missing? Is the problem with the RM1X?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using a second MIDI cable, between microX MIDI Out port and the RM1X MIDI In port.

MD Roche

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Try using a second MIDI cable, between microX MIDI Out port and the RM1X MIDI In port.

Still doesn't work.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Note Out enabled in the Utility menu? Is the MIDI Out LED showing activity?

Check that none of the 16 tracks has the parameter Voice set to Phrase.

Look at the MIDI Out data from the RM1X, using something like MIDI-OX, to ensure Note On messages are being sent, and look at the MIDI channel that these are being sent on. Check that the corresponding Timbre MIDI channels are setup correctly on the microX.

Also, check that the correct MIDI channels are set in Setup | Out channel (see p75 of the user manual).

MD Roche

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Is Note Out enabled in the Utility menu? Is the MIDI Out LED showing activity?

Check that none of the 16 tracks has the parameter Voice set to Phrase.

Look at the MIDI Out data from the RM1X, using something like MIDI-OX, to ensure Note On messages are being sent, and look at the MIDI channel that these are being sent on. Check that the corresponding Timbre MIDI channels are setup correctly on the microX.

Also, check that the correct MIDI channels are set in Setup | Out channel (see p75 of the user manual).

MIDI CONTROL in the Utility menu of the RM1X is set to OUT. The MIDI OUT LED does light up whenever I press a key.

None of the tracks on the RM1X are set to Phrase.

I don't know what MIDI-OX is and I really don't feel like learning how to use a 3rd piece of technology today.

In the manual for the microX it says you can adjust the MIDI for the timbre in Combination mode, but that's not what I'm using.

The MIDI channel for the track is set correctly in the voice setup in the RM1X. I turned off the RM1X's tone generator and am using MIDI Channel 01 on the microX. The microX says that's the channel I'm using in the GLOBAL section, and it's also the track number I'm using in the multi set.
MD Roche

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use my headphones on the microX I can only hear its own sounds and play them on the RM1X, but when I use my headphones on the RM1X I can only hear its own sounds and not the microX.
MD Roche

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out the reason it's not working is because I had a misunderstanding of how MIDI works. The microX needs its own output, whereas I assumed I could just hear it through the RM1X. Apparently I need an audio mixer now, if I even choose to keep the microX and continue pursuing the hardware route instead of switching to software.

Feel free to delete or lock this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: