Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

32-step sequencer & RPPR questions, CC & trigger opt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HUBA

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: 32-step sequencer & RPPR questions, CC & trigger opt Reply with quote

So I'm considering getting one of these after eventually realizing how powerful/capable they actually are. However, they seem a bit convoluted, and so I assume slow, work flow wise, and because of this I'm a bit on the fence, looking for reasons that could convince me to take the plunge. Having never touched a Kronos there's a couple of things I'd like to know that the manual is somewhat vague about. Hopefully someone here could help me clear a few things up:

1 - Can the 32 step mod sequencer be set to start at a specific point in the main sequencers timeline independent of key press / note on?

So for instance with LFO key reset set to OFF, is it then possible to trigger / reset an LFO's phase to say the beginning of each measure in the main sequencer timeline independent of key press / note on? So that no matter if and when a key is pressed the LFO phase restarts at a specific point in each measure, oscillates at its set rate until that same point in the next measure and so on? Or is using a key the only way to reset the LFO phase at a specific desired point in the main sequencers timeline?

2 - Same with envelopes. Are there ways to somehow program triggers into the main sequencer that would make an envelope trigger independent of key press / note on?

3- Can the 32 step mod sequencer be used to achieve tempo synced note lengths in envelope stages? So for instance decay time of a 3/16th notes length?

4 - I see it's possible to record patterns and assign them to individual keys using RPPR (Realtime Pattern Play/Recording) and also create your own Drum Track Patterns as well, I assume to work the same way(?). Do these patterns behave like Roland's RPS realtime phrase sequences, or are they quantized to death like arpeggiator patterns no matter the approach?

5 - With an external controller, is it possible to lock a MIDI CC# to a specific task so that the destination parameter wont change to something else when jumping between modes/scenes/parts etc.?

Any tips or suggestions are highly appreciated, including RTFM if perhaps somewhat more specific Think
HUBA

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm not sure about the envelopes but unless I'm mistaken it seems to me that as long as the main sequencer will record MIDI CC messages, which I expect is the case, then resetting LFO phase independent of key press / note on should be possible through the use of a switch button and setting the dynamic mod source for LFO reset accordingly. Intriguing.. Exclamation
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some, if not all, of this is possible, but maybe not all at the same time.

1. Yes and no! The start point in the modulation sequencer can be set. Not only that, but the start step can be modulated by an Alternate Modulation Source. Note though, that in Program mode, and in each individual Timbre in Combi mode, the step sequencer starts running from when the Program or Combi is selected. The LFO start phase can be set. Tempo (with an offset, presumably in measures) can be used to reset the LFO. Having re-read the original question if, by main Sequencer mode, you mean the Kronos' Sequencer mode, then yes - a trigger can be set to reset the modulation sequencer, and that trigger can be recorded onto the Sequencer MIDI control track. The sequences (or Songs) thus created need to be saved and re-loaded after powering on the Kronos.

2. Possible triggers for envelopes include things like: Gate 1 + Damper, Velocity, Switch 1 (or 2), Note Number, to name a few.

3. Yes, but not in units of specific note length, but rather decay time values - found by a bit of trial and error. In any case, decay is just that, with a characteristic that's variable in the Kronos from linear to exponential.

4. RPPR timing resolution can be set to high (1/480 parts per quarter note), or quantised to varying degrees.

5. Not sure. Specific CC# can be set as modulation sources so, if nothing else in the Program or Combi is sending the same CC#, the intensity of the effect shouldn't change.

The Kronos' Sequencer includes a MIDI track, separate from the individual Timbre tracks, where modulations can be recorded.

And KARMA hasn't been mentioned yet!! Its capabilities are impressive ;-)

When going this deep into the Kronos' capabilities, the Owner's Guide, and Parameter Guide will be your friend. To add to this, the Kronos also has a built in, context-sensitive, help system, which can be very useful. And, of course, there's this forum.

HUBA

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey big thanks for the detailed and super helpful response!

voip wrote:
Some, if not all, of this is possible, but maybe not all at the same time.

Sounds promising Smile

voip wrote:
1. Yes and no! The start point in the modulation sequencer can be set. Not only that, but the start step can be modulated by an Alternate Modulation Source. Note though, that in Program mode, and in each individual Timbre in Combi mode, the step sequencer starts running from when the Program or Combi is selected. The LFO start phase can be set. Tempo (with an offset, presumably in measures) can be used to reset the LFO. Having re-read the original question if, by main Sequencer mode, you mean the Kronos' Sequencer mode, then yes - a trigger can be set to reset the modulation sequencer, and that trigger can be recorded onto the Sequencer MIDI control track. The sequences (or Songs) thus created need to be saved and re-loaded after powering on the Kronos.

Right. So even though the step sequencer starts running at selection of the program it can still be restarted by a trigger recorded into a MIDI track of the Kronos' main sequencer so that step and main sequencer is synced to each other.(?) And because the mod sequencer can be programmed to reset / trigger the LFO, what I'm after can ultimately be achieved, right?

voip wrote:
2. Possible triggers for envelopes include things like: Gate 1 + Damper, Velocity, Switch 1 (or 2), Note Number, to name a few.

I figured it should be possible with envelopes as well. I guess the question is whether it's necessary to go via the mod sequencer. I mean it shouldn't be if the destination in question has a specific CC# assigned to it 'from factory' that it's meant to respond to.

voip wrote:
3. Yes, but not in units of specific note length, but rather decay time values - found by a bit of trial and error. In any case, decay is just that, with a characteristic that's variable in the Kronos from linear to exponential.

Hmm OK so by using the mod sequencer it's possible to lock say the decay length relative to tempo, just without any indications whenever I hit specific note lengths? I thought maybe it could be done with the mod sequencer triggered by key, where each step in the sequencer corresponded to an envelope segment, and since each step can have a specific note length it should translate to envelope segment getting identical note lenghts.

voip wrote:
4. RPPR timing resolution can be set to high (1/480 parts per quarter note), or quantised to varying degrees.

Cool. Could a jazzy phrase be quantized to easily hit the downbeat of a sequence without having the phrase itself and its notes relations between themselves being affected by the quantize setting I wanted merely for syncing the phrase to the main sequence? Uh.. Hope that made sense..

voip wrote:
5. Not sure. Specific CC# can be set as modulation sources so, if nothing else in the Program or Combi is sending the same CC#, the intensity of the effect shouldn't change.

Right. Yeah sounds plausible

voip wrote:
The Kronos' Sequencer includes a MIDI track, separate from the individual Timbre tracks, where modulations can be recorded.

I see

voip wrote:
And KARMA hasn't been mentioned yet!! Its capabilities are impressive Wink

Cool. I haven't looked into that yet

voip wrote:
the Kronos also has a built in, context-sensitive, help system, which can be very useful.

Yeah that actually sounds helpful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: