Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live Performance setup on Nautilus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romandesign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Live Performance setup on Nautilus Reply with quote

I'm considering upgrading from Roland FA-08 to Korg Nautilus but need to clarify a live-performance setup for Nautilus:

- What I have on my FA is performance setup for each song. It is a kind of a Combi equivalent with 16 channels. But FA has "groups" within a Combi that are triggered via single pad/button press. For example, I have 3 patches split over the keyboard in default Group 1 for the verses, B3 organ on Group 2 for choruses, and synth solo patch on Group 3. Switches are instant, but without abrupt sound cut-off. Is something like that available on Nautilus? I couldn't see it in video demos. What is crucial for me is quick switching between songs, and quick layered/spit combinations switchable by a single press within each song. Can maybe custom 1-6 buttons trigger groups (essentiannly a group solo/mute in a combi)?

- In FA performance some channels can control external instruments. Can Nautilus do that, including firing MIDI program change so patches are loaded automatically on external instruments? Is it a good MIDI controller?

- Major part of my desire to upgrade is a sampler. Is converting and loading samples easy in Nautilus? Does it increas booting time by much? I understand it already boots for more than 2 minutes as it is. I need to create/convert several high quality string, choir, mellotron patches.

- Anyone has 73 key version? How is the keyboard? Is it heavy enough (like semi-weighted) or very light like pure synth keys?

- Geneerally, how well is it suited for live performance with complicated patch setups?

All advice appreciated! Thanks.
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nautilus and Kronos have the easy slide transition between sounds. Also more switch possibility using Mute Zone, Solo Zone SW or Scenes.
romandesign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Stesco wrote:
Nautilus and Kronos have the easy slide transition between sounds. Also more switch possibility using Mute Zone, Solo Zone SW or Scenes.

I can't find any references to Solo Zone in the Nautilus Manual and online. Essentially this is what I would want: button-press to switch between several soloed (or muted) parts in a combi, without cutting a tail of the sound. Roland FA does it really well, but I think I like KORG Nautilus sounds better, and new Fantom is too expensive.
romandesign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the manual, and it looks like just as in my old Korgs (01/W and TR) there is no convenient way to organize songs for live performance with switching between several patches/layers/solo-mute groups within each song? Am I correct? How is this possible? I hope I missed something...

How do you organize your live setup, if youneed more than one patch for a song?
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mute/Solo zone is a new ability in Combi at SW MIX controls. To organise your live performance, have a SET LIST. Here can add any Progs, Combsi, Songs to can jump instantly from one to others. We have 127 slots /SET LIST and 127 SET LISTS.
romandesign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Stesco wrote:
Mute/Solo zone is a new ability in Combi at SW MIX controls. To organise your live performance, have a SET LIST. Here can add any Progs, Combsi, Songs to can jump instantly from one to others. We have 127 slots /SET LIST and 127 SET LISTS.

Is it documented somewhere that I can read? How those zones can be triggered? Does the mute cut the sound oof muted tracks instantly or leave the tail playing?
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romandesign wrote:
Dan Stesco wrote:

Is it documented somewhere that I can read? How those zones can be triggered? Does the mute cut the sound oof muted tracks instantly or leave the tail playing?

The mute zone cut instantly. Also we can use a combi and switch to other combi or program in SET LIST, sound no cut before strike the key again.
Also have the sound off control in combi using the ARP on/off. Soud on by arp off and vice versa. Sounds no cut. Other live possibility using the Scene slot to add the group of sounds or switch to others, easy slide, no cut. If could help contact me on Skype or zoom and will show you on video. Believe me, no worry about live performance. I use a Nautilus 61 to control a full 10 unit RACK with synth modules and effect processors on stage. No sound cut.
romandesign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Stesco wrote:
romandesign wrote:
Dan Stesco wrote:

The mute zone cut instantly. Also we can use a combi and switch to other combi or program in SET LIST, sound no cut before strike the key again.
Also have the sound off control in combi using the ARP on/off. Soud on by arp off and vice versa. Sounds no cut. Other live possibility using the Scene slot to add the group of sounds or switch to others, easy slide, no cut. If could help contact me on Skype or zoom and will show you on video. Believe me, no worry about live performance. I use a Nautilus 61 to control a full 10 unit RACK with synth modules and effect processors on stage. No sound cut.

Thanks! I'd like to see that. Maybe it's easier for both of us if you record a video and post on YouTube? I'm sure many others would like to see how that is done. I'd appreciate if you show me options that let me switch between 2 groups of sounds (i.e. betweeb 2-3 split sounds and a syth solo) within a single Set List song, with no soud cut. If you prefer, I can Skype you - I'm in Canada (EST), so tell me what time would be good and PM me your skype name. Thanks!
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's talk on mail. Please contact me on contact@danstesco.ro
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

romandesign wrote:
I'd appreciate if you show me options that let me switch between 2 groups of sounds (i.e. betweeb 2-3 split sounds and a syth solo) within a single Set List song, with no soud cut.

Kronos is much better than FA in this respect. FA only lets you seamlessly switch among the 16 tones you've assigned within a given Studio Set. Kronos lets you seamlessly switch among ALL it's sounds, you don't have to pre-define which ones you're "allowed" to switch to without cutoffs.

Why do you care about doing it within a single Set List song? (I'm not saying you can't, I don't know, it's nothing I've ever considered doing.) The simplest thing would probably be to just create another Set List entry for the desired combination.

You can think of it this way:

On the FA, in a given Studio Set, you have a set of 16 physical buttons, each of which represents a single sound you can incorporate into a seamless switching scenario, alone or in combination. You cannot seamlessly switch to something that's in a different set of 16 sounds.

On the Kronos, on a given Set List page, you have a set of 16 on-screen named buttons, each of which represents up to 16 sounds you can incorporate into a seamless switching scenario. And you can seamlessly switch to other sets of 16 sounds.

I don't see any advantage of the FA over the Kronos in this respect... the Kronos can create every seamless switched combination you could create on the FA, with equally fast and seamless switching, and a whole lot more seamless switching possibilities that the FA can't approach.
romandesign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

I don't see any advantage of the FA over the Kronos in this respect... the Kronos can create every seamless switched combination you could create on the FA, with equally fast and seamless switching, and a whole lot more seamless switching possibilities that the FA can't approach.

Yes, what happened is based on online videos I couldn't figure out (but now I thinlk I understand) that a Set List page has up to 16 "Songs" each of which can have up to 16 "Studio Set" equivalents (Combis) or Patches (Programs) as internal buttons.

On FA I'm using "Studio Sets" as songs. I'm using hardware pads as group switches. A typical song has split of up to 6 sounds on default group/pad 1, some other sound (like Hammond) on pad 2 and solo sound on pad 3. So basically I need a Set List that allows to mimic that inside each Set List song. Now I see that Nautilus can have that, with an advantage that I'm not limited to switching sound groups insite one "Combi" but can have a Combi for the splits I use, and Programs for the solo sounds etc. when I don't need splits (solos, full-size organs and pianos etc.) and I can mix and match as needed. That replaces the "Groups" I have in FA.

I've ordered the Nautilus, but unfortunately in Canada they don't expect stock until about june (according to one website)... The can't even say when I made an order...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: