Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now that Kronos is clearly riding off into the sunset…

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITguy54

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Now that Kronos is clearly riding off into the sunset… Reply with quote

….will Korg update the Nautilus like they did with the Kronos, with the X and 2 models, by adding 9 sliders and aftertouch?
ITguy54

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a related question: Are discounts being offered on the Nautilus because it doesn’t have 9 sliders and aftertouch, and buyers really want both?
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No and no.
recreational

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please bring your irrelevant whining to the Kronos-Krybaby emotional support group where it belongs? Nobody on this forum section cares about how angry you are, because you're angry for no reason. That's right. None of you are justified in your bitterness. It's not 2011 anymore. So maybe you should ask the OASYS owners from back then which therapists helped them get over their trauma...

It's honestly really annoying to constantly read this crap. Buy a Roland or a Yamaha if you're so angry. Or... learn how to program DSP algorithms yourself instead of insisting everything in the corporate world should revolve around you and your very specific tastes.

(Or, buy a nautilus ... and get the 9 sliders you so desperately miss as an external midi controller, since, you know ... you can do that, too..)

You Kronos owners act like Korg owes you something like shareholder status or something like that ... there's nothing owed ... you bought a synth, and Korg gave you one ... it was an equal exchange.

Move on. Get over it. You're being so childish.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be cool, recreational, be cool.

Obviously many people (such as myself) have moved on to other manufacturers for our workstation needs, but we can also recognise that the frustrated have limited avenues for their frustration. It's not as if KORG is exactly overcommunicating about plans, alternatives or visions. It's kind of the opposite of customer service - it's more like a pinhata. Whack it and see what comes out. This year, not a Kronos, and that makes (some) people very sad.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recreational wrote:
Can you please bring your irrelevant whining to the Kronos-Krybaby emotional support group where it belongs? Nobody on this forum section cares about how angry you are, because you're angry for no reason. That's right. None of you are justified in your bitterness. It's not 2011 anymore. So maybe you should ask the OASYS owners from back then which therapists helped them get over their trauma...

It's honestly really annoying to constantly read this crap. Buy a Roland or a Yamaha if you're so angry. Or... learn how to program DSP algorithms yourself instead of insisting everything in the corporate world should revolve around you and your very specific tastes.

(Or, buy a nautilus ... and get the 9 sliders you so desperately miss as an external midi controller, since, you know ... you can do that, too..)

You Kronos owners act like Korg owes you something like shareholder status or something like that ... there's nothing owed ... you bought a synth, and Korg gave you one ... it was an equal exchange.

Move on. Get over it. You're being so childish.

This is funny and a classic example of projection. I ask an obvious question. Kronos was changed twice with the X and 2 models. So it’s not crazy to suggest Korg might do the same with Nautilus. The response? A clearly angry rant by someone who should take their own advice and get some therapy. If you are so annoyed by posts here, maybe you should take a vacation or get on some medication. There are real issues and problems to get angry about. This isn’t one of them.
recreational

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
It's not as if KORG is exactly overcommunicating about plans, alternatives or visions. It's kind of the opposite of customer service - it's more like a pinhata. Whack it and see what comes out. This year, not a Kronos, and that makes (some) people very sad.

Have you tried to contact KORG directly to express your concerns? -- if not, you're just as uncommunicative to them as they are being to you. Posting here doesn't count, this is a forum for users, not a product feedback channel like writing a letter or calling somebody.

By the way, it's really not a business-savvy move to disclose your plans and future plans to the public. Your gripe is with the secretive and competitive nature of capitalism, not KORG exclusively.

Sorry ITguy54, you stooped to my level, and it's really unfortunate, because this was a melodramatic post with a whiny title and passive-aggressive anorexic bird skeleton for a body, and you're mad that you got just as useless fodder as what you put out. If you're actually serious about hearing back from somebody and not just whining into the ether, maybe you should follow the same advice that I gave the last guy, and contact Korg directly, rather than posting on the Nautilus board, a board for a synth that: you don't own, and that you don't intend to buy -- I really don't see your reason for your having any place here on this specific board at all as long as that is the case.

Is Korg supposed to rerelease the same synth with minor modifications every year? How is that supposed to make people less angry? That seems like exactly what Apple so often does with each generation, and they're not particularly lauded for that, either.

ITguy54 wrote:
So it’s not crazy to suggest Korg might do the same with Nautilus.

Nope, it's not crazy, it's just wishful thinking on your part. And you're right, this isn't worth getting angry about. But this entire thread was whining at its very conception, how can you expect people to -not- tell you to bring your complaints to the complaint department at KORG USA? Instead you bring it to the completely independent website forum, and post your concerns on the Nautilus board of all places.

Maybe you're so worried that the KRONOS is dead that you posted it here because of the chance that nobody at the Kronos board of the forum will ever be active again? To me, that's crazy.[/i]
ITguy54

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s so wonderful that you are so perceptive. Not. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Very funny. You’re not as clever as you think you are. It’s very entertaining to read your pompous posts. We are so lucky to have you here, to set other people straight. What would we do without people like you? Wishful thinking is so bad. We need to learn from your wisdom and brilliance. Thank you, professor.
randwing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Firmware Reply with quote

In answer to the original question, I expect Korg to update the firmware of the Nautilus, as they have already done.

By way of contrast, I bought a Mk1 Kronos in 2012. I was able to upgrade the memory and add an additional SSD. It has remained compatible with Kronos firmware updates, so it has the latest 3.1.3, albeit with the omission of the newer free SGX-2 piano that the Kronos 2 gets. That is pretty good support, IMHO.

At some point Korg was bound to need to upgrade the core hardware, and a re-design would open up new opportunities. I suspect, and I am hoping, that Korg are working on a new flagship workstation built on new core hardware/firmware. (Something that could run all of Korg's excellent Legacy Collection V3, with the addition of Z1, and a return of the wind and brass physical modelling as a core EXi would be great.) The Nautilus design seems like an easy way to roll out a cheaper, simpler, and easier to use, workstation, largely based on Kronos technology.

I don't agree with some of the decisions Korg have made in recent years (aftertouch), but I am still a big fan of their synths. The Wavestate SE looks promising, and has aftertouch!
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just buy a Kronos? That seems like the easiest thing to do....

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a pretty reasonable question from the OP. I’d tend to think the Nautilus will receive software updates and enhancements much like the Kronos did. I don’t expect the Kronos to receive any further updates other than bug fixes. I have no qualms about that whatsoever, and in fact just bought a lovely new Kronos 2 73 to replace my ten year old Kronos 1 61.

They’re both spectacular machines with pros and cons to each.

All I know is that the Kronos is the only piece of hardware I’ve owned for ten years that continues to surprise, delight and challenge me. I’d be absolutely happy to have a Nautilus in its place.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recreational wrote:
Have you tried to contact KORG directly to express your concerns? -- if not, you're just as uncommunicative to them as they are being to you. Posting here doesn't count, this is a forum for users, not a product feedback channel like writing a letter or calling somebody.

See, this is the funny thing about being in business; it's an asymmetric relationship. It's not a two-way street between equal partners, but a give-and-take between a provider and a (potential) customer base.

By the way, just for the record: yes, I have. Both in writing (I've been polled through marketing) and in person (I've been at trade shows and conventions). Ultimately, I voted with my dollars, because they either didn't listen, didn't care, or couldn't see their way clear to doing it.

Sucks to be them. I got what I needed, just not from KORG.

recreational wrote:
By the way, it's really not a business-savvy move to disclose your plans and future plans to the public. Your gripe is with the secretive and competitive nature of capitalism, not KORG exclusively.

OK, this is just crap. Blame it on capitalism! It forces us into secrecy, hoarding our precious plans!

Nonsense. In an industry full of projects, teasers, leaks and general speculation this is not only generally untrue, but quite specifically untrue as demonstrated by everyone from Yamaha to Behringer. If KORG were to tease a Nautilus control add-on, (just for example) with a stack of faders and knobs and pads, that would radically change the anticipated value proposition for many purchasers. They could weave narratives about a Nautilus in slimmer form that's easy to drag to a gig, and the elaborated form that lives in the studio, for example. They could talk about a whole Nautilus family, which starts with the stripped-down keybed version that we see today, but then also has a pad workstation version to compete with Akai's MPC line, a rackmount version for the space-constrained producer, and a full-fat version with more knobs, faders, buttons, pads, touchstrips, polyphonic aftertouch, release velocity and MPE delivery than you could dream of.

But they didn't, and so the rational response for their customer base is to look elsewhere. And we are.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITguy54 wrote:
Kronos was changed twice with the X and 2 models. So it’s not crazy to suggest Korg might do the same with Nautilus.
Keep in mind that those changes were years apart, and none of them included adding any new hardware controls. So it's not a strong precedent for the idea of a Nautilus with more hard controls, and certainly not near-term. But who knows what the future may bring...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: