Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sampling - file naming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
my2sons8791

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:02 am    Post subject: Sampling - file naming Reply with quote

Hello. Just getting into using the sampler function and I would like to know if I should create a unique name for every KSC, KMP file that ia associated with a specific sample. I am not clear on the naming conventions that should be used and understand that this is critical for the samples t map correctly within the assigned programs and combis. Thanks in advance.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sampling - file naming Reply with quote

my2sons8791 wrote:
Hello. Just getting into using the sampler function and I would like to know if I should create a unique name for every KSC, KMP file that ia associated with a specific sample. I am not clear on the naming conventions that should be used and understand that this is critical for the samples t map correctly within the assigned programs and combis. Thanks in advance.

The naming conventions I think are more for your benefit to keep track of your sounds in a meaningful way so you know what to load from media.

I would create a uniquely named directory for each sound. (By "sound" I mean the collection of all of the samples and multisamples you have created for a particular instrument.) Then when you save sample data, save to that directory. The .KSC and colocated directory should be the same name. The naming of the .KMP and .KSF files and subdirectories within that directory are system-generated; I don't think you need to worry about or modify those names.

What's critical for the multisamples to map correctly within a program is actually the multisample index location(s), not the name. You specify the multisample index in the program basic menu under RAM oscillator multisample. It's analogous to how programs are referenced in combis, by index using program bank and number, not by program name.

So I think that's really what you need to strategize and plan out - ensure that each of your sounds uses its own multisample location(s). I believe you have 999 total multisample locations. Be sure that each of your sounds uses its own unique multisample location(s) and you don't have overlap or reuse. Then you can load any number of sounds (from .KSC) without being worried that they're going to overwrite others when loaded, and the programs will always point to the proper multisample locations.

My 2˘
my2sons8791

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that great explanation. I am finding the M# with it's pads to be a great instrument for live work. Now that I am figuring out the sampling and mapping, it will only get better!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: