Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending Program Changes to play external sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Sending Program Changes to play external sounds Reply with quote

The manual has a section with the heading, "External Sounds and Program Change messages" (page 173) but I find it vague and incomplete. It talks about using a Program Change in a Part or Track, but it is not clear as to how (or if) it is possible to play the external part from the keyboard.

If I am playing solo (i.e. not using a sequence or any of the accompaniment features), is it possible to (for example) switch from playing an internal Rhodes sound to playing some other sound located on an iPad (or other external device), then switch to some other internal sound, then switch to some other sound on the external device (i.e. sending it a Program Change as well as activating it for play), just by hitting buttons on the touchscreen? Or similarly split/layer the internal and external sounds of choice?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending Program Changes to play external sounds Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
The manual has a section with the heading, "External Sounds and Program Change messages" (page 173) but I find it vague and incomplete. ...

With track controls it is possible to route MIDI-messages of Pa-tracks to Internal, External or Both.
Additional it is necessary to configure Midi-Channels in Global Midi.
Whatever Midi-Message is produced on tracks you route to external will be transmit via Midi to your external device.

That is all - I do not find that vague or incomplete.
Internal/external/both simply means whether you use the internal, external or both midi sound generators for playback of your Midi-sources - that maybe Midi-Messages of your keyboard incl its panel switches, buttons, functions etc or the Midi-Messages of the built-in sequencers of your Pa-arranger.

If you want to play realtime-tracks (keyboard-tracks) via external Midi-devices set its tracks to external.
Configure the Midi-Channels to transmit Midi-Messages you selected.
Prevent to filter Midi-Messages you do not want to filter.
Connect your external device to Pa-arranger and configure its Midi-Channels to receive Midi.
Play your realtime-tracks, change your programs directly or via keyboard-settings and Midi-Messages generated with your keyboard will be transmit.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I found the text in the manual vague/incomplete because it did not include, well, the answer to the question I asked. Wink

I do greatly appreciate your attempt, but I'm afraid I still don't understand how to do what I want. Sad

Let's say I'm playing a PA1000 brass Sound from its keyboard, and I want to be able to hit a button (tap the screen) on the PA1000 so as to switch my Sound from the internal brass to, say, preset 3 on a piano app running on my iPad. I get the Program Change part... preset 3 will mean having to send Program Change 002 (and since the app doesn't have multiple banks, I can presumably ignore the CC0/CC32 parameters). But how/where on the PA1000 do I create the on-screen button that will send that Program Change, and make that sound playable from the keyboard? Is this indeed possible?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Internal / external Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
.. Let's say I'm playing a PA1000 brass Sound from its keyboard, and I want to be able to hit a button (tap the screen) on the PA1000 so as to switch my Sound from the internal brass to, say, preset 3 on a piano app running on my iPad. I get the Program Change part... preset 3 will mean having to send Program Change 002 (and since the app doesn't have multiple banks, I can presumably ignore the CC0/CC32 parameters). But how/where on the PA1000 do I create the on-screen button that will send that Program Change, and make that sound playable from the keyboard? Is this indeed possible? ...

Hello Scott,

I think you're thinking way too complicated.

1. As soon as you define a track as external, these midi messages no longer go to the internal tone generator, but to the midi out port

2. If a track has been defined as external, the program (sound) names of the Pa-Arranger do not appear, but the CC#0/C#32/PC sound parameters for entering the sound (select per touch screen)

3. For all midi messages of the externally created track, the keys/buttons/sliders etc. are used as you would use them internally

4. if you have defined R3 as external, then R3 then changes its program in the same manner as you change program for R3 (manually, via performance, via songbook --- )

Maybe using R3 as externa: if track is muted, nothing go to Midi-out,
if track is not muted, all Midi-Messages you generate via keys, buttons, joystick, sliders go to Midi-out - if sound of R3 is changed via kbdSet, manually or songbook-entry, bank-change+soundchange as memorized is sent to midi-out etc.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Internal / external Reply with quote

I finally got back to this. I don't think it will quite do what I want. Sad

siebenhirter wrote:
4. if you have defined R3 as external, then R3 then changes its program in the same manner as you change program for R3 (manually, via performance, via songbook --- )

Thanks for your input, siebenhirter. By "R3" I'm guessing you're referring to using "Upper 3", as an example.

The problem is, the ONLY way I can find to save an external sound is to save it into a Keyboard Set (which, itself, is a combination of 4 sounds). It's better than nothing, and I'm glad I've got that figured out. But for example, if I'm playing a keyboard set with a left hand internal bass sound and a right hand internal string sound (for example), and I want to change to a different RH sound that isn't already one of the other two upper sounds in the keyboard set, I can easily select any other internal sound... but there is not a way to select a pre-configured external sound. The only way to get that external sound back is to recall some keyboard set that I have saved that external sound into, which will also change my LH sound (and any other RH sounds in that original keyboard set that I may have been playing or may have wanted to have available to play), unless I have set up a keyboard set that is identical to the one I'm using except for the substitution of that external sound for the internal one. I can't simply change from an internal sound to an external sound by itself, I have to change the entire keyboard set. But it's something, at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: