Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magnifier for Kronos screen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
average_male

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davekalbach wrote:
A guy in Europe manufactures these for a reasonable price (but you have to ship it)...

Yea, but that only gives you limited access to some of Kronos' parameters. Having a larger external monitor that has the same 1:1 functionality as the built in Kronos touch screen would be much nicer. Obviously just my opinion and what you noted may be fine for others?
hpoche

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:41 pm    Post subject: How may I get more information on this project. thank you Reply with quote

average_male wrote:
NICE! Thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping for. Someone with the skills and background to provide their input and expertise on this matter. Something like this is a out of my skillset and would require a lot of time.

As far as the mouse versus touch pad goes, they make 17.3" (and 15.6" noted in the pictures below) displays with touch (over USB-C as is the one the pictures) and seems this would be plenty large enough. Having a touchpad would be mirroring existing functionality used in the Kronos and user wouldn't have to shuffle things around to work with a mouse. Having a mouse would require extra workspace area (like a small desk or similar) around your Kronos.

Conceptually, here is what I had envisioned for something like this to work. See picture, I made (modded) a swivel-top desk that has a pull-out/extension so one could overlay the touch display over the Kronos when needed and pushed back when not [a static image is being displayed on the screen : ) ... for now? ]:

This swivel sliding top was a modification I made to this item sold on Amazon (purchased when it was $29): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KNDV77N

And there is a chip that can manage RGB24 TTL to DisplayPort over USB-C and is why I noted USB-C as that can also transfer touch data. Here is the brief on this chip, wasn't able to locate a datasheet for it: http://www.lontiumsemi.com/UploadFiles/2021-03/LT8718_Brief_R2.pdf So one cable for video, power and touch data. Tricky part is managing the touch over USB and the two 4 pins from the touch screens and MUX-ing them into the Kronos processor.

Would be very interested in hearing your thoughts and approach on this porject as more information/progress becomes available.

litmister wrote:
Hi everybody,

Firstly, just wanted to say that I'm a long time lurker on this forum but this is finally the thread that pushed me to create an account. As an electronics engineer who works a decent amount dealing with video, the idea of adding an external display to Kronos is pretty interesting to me.

I think it would be relatively straightforward to build a "middleman" that connects between the existing display assembly and the rest of the system. This would split off the video signal, as well as intercept the touch signals. You could even (pretty easily) opt to use a mouse instead of external touch screen, and emulate a "touch" signal wherever you click. This would likely be easier than finding a large touch screen, and may be more convenient; you could have a large computer monitor on the wall or something, and then just have a mouse somewhere convenient for you.

With a little bit of work you could also get this to output HDMI. I think that would be the easiest, compared to DisplayPort or something over USB-C.

If I find the time I may get around to experimenting with this, as I think I have just about all the parts I would need lying around to at least try some stuff out.
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like this thread died out in 2022, but hpoche just brought the post by average_male back to the top - Thanks!

I've been looking for a way to get a remote screen also for years.
I've considered the full hardware approach described above. As noted there are chips that can take the LCD's RGB and generate HDMI or DP.
It is also challenging to handle touch. That has to be an analog circuit that could provide map the touch data from the remote display to generate the specific voltages needed by the Kronos internal touch screen.

Rather than a physical wired display, I'm thinking of a more flexible approach like a KVM. The Kronos screen would be interfaced over an IP network - Ethernet or Wi-Fi - and would be displayed in a window on another computer. A protocol like VNC could be adapted. That would make it easy to use in the studio environment with a notebook or desktop computer, but also allow a VNC-type of application to run from at table for live use. Maybe the best of both worlds?

Since the dedicated video conversion chips might not work in this role, perhaps an FPGA could receive the LCD data and feed it into RAM on a computing platform? The LCD resolution is relatively low, so the rates are manageable. Perhaps something like an FPGA hat for a Raspberry Pi would be able to handle it? I just had this idea and have not fully thought it through, but wanted to bounce it off others that are interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: