Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can the pa4x be used as a midi controller
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Can the pa4x be used as a midi controller Reply with quote

I am about to set up a little recording studio at the bottom of my garden . I know this question must have been asked and answered before . Can anyone point me to any information about using the pa4x as a midi controller keyboard ?
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can the pa4x be used as a midi controller Reply with quote

worth wrote:
I am about to set up a little recording studio at the bottom of my garden . I know this question must have been asked and answered before . Can anyone point me to any information about using the pa4x as a midi controller keyboard ?

Worth,
I've used the Pa800, Pa3x and Pa4x with DAW and/or iOS devices many times.... the same way I use Kronos or any other synth/workstation for this purpose.

For example, I'm using a Kronos in this video to play a piano sample library that I've loaded in Pro Tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5EUWjMQLLY

If I had an 88 keys arranger, I could've done the same thing.

In this video I'm using a dedicated midi controller, but again I could've done the same thing using a Pa4x or whatever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgB1vW0hlKo

So if your only concern is playing, then you can totally use a Korg arranger keyboard for recording midi or audio...that is if you don't need the full piano range. Now there are certain DAW or Plug in functions that may only respond to a dedicated midi controller within a certain DAW.

What exactly are you trying to do?

worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by worth on Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam thanks for responding . It’s hard to know the correct questions to ask . I have previously done all my composing and sequencing onboard my pa4x and never used any external equipment. So in terms of using the sequence are on my PA forex and editing features, I have been able to make quite detailed and professional sounding tracks.

But I’m fortunate enough now to have a purpose-built man cave/studio. I’m being advised about software and hardware that I might need to record professional recordings of audio like vocals and other instruments ( I recently started playing the sax ) and I don’t want to buy equipment unnecessarily.

I’ve been told I should get a midi keyboard to interface with my laptop which I will be using to sequence music, and the laptop most likely will have logic pro as the (DAW just because the person advising me recommends it) .

So in some instances I will be using the internal sounds of my PA 4X or the built-in sounds in logic pro , or commercially purchased sounds as I don’t want to be limited to just logic pro or my PA4X.

So it’s hard to know what my PA4x can do as a midi controller that is different to a dedicated midi controller. What’s the difference ? So I’m asking really what are the limitations with using the PA4x and will it hamper me, instead of purchasing a dedicated midi controller ?

Great videos by the way 👍
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Korg pa4x as a midi controller is bad idea. This is because it is not its main purpose.
Typical midi controller is easy to configure, has many controllers, it is smaller, lighter device and better suits your needs. The prices start from 50 dollars.
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you are intending your music cave as a recording space rather than a performance space (audience etc) and are planning on a DAW as central piece, you don’t really need a dedicated controller keyboard. Most of the time you’ll be laying one track down at a time once you have created the basic music bed from a style (if you don’t do the whole thing from scratch using loops etc.), and it’s simple to set the PA4X up to send one basic channel.

The DAW itself is capable of routing that one channel wherever you want it to go, whether back to the PA4X or software VSTi’s, even other connected gear. Many DAW’s can also if needed split the one incoming channel and use it to create splits and layers if necessary. So all in all, unless you have gobs of money to throw around, your Korg should work just fine as the keyboard hub of the studio. And you can take whatever money you saved not buying a big fancy master controller keyboard, and use it for better things…

Like better monitors, or a high quality audio interface, or some really cool pro VSTi’s like Omnisphere or BFD, or a really good condenser mic, etc..
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies . I will start out with my pa4x and see how I get on . I can buy a dedicated controller if I start to find obstacles that cannot be overcome by my keyboard 👍
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money spent on peripherals at the expense of basics cripples so many home studios.

Your priorities need to be focused on things like good acoustic sound treatment and isolation from external noise, without which nothing else you do will matter. Then the finest studio nearfields you can afford, which again is a primary need. Without great speakers, you face an uphill battle to get your mixes balanced.

Then your audio interface… the better the A/D/A, the more accurately you’ll record and playback your sound. Look for good performance at really low latency if you intend to use VSTi’s a lot.

And then microphones… if you’re going to record your voice, or guitars etc., better spend on a good one!

All in all, given you already have a decent keyboard, a new controller keyboard might be about the LAST thing you want to blow money on!

About the only exception to this might be if you play piano fairly well, and only have a 61 note arranger, in which case maybe a digital stage piano (no need to go overboard on the sound, in all likelihood you’ll probably use a VSTi piano like Ivory or Keyscapes for the sound) might be a better choice and cheaper than a fancy 88 controller.

But get the basics first. No amount of keyboards will help if the room and the speakers aren’t sorted first… 😎
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a Yamaha CP300 stage piano in the studio alongside my 76 key Korgpa4x .

If you have any suggestions for the additional hardware like the audio interface, software recommendations such as logic pro X or similar, computer for music production specifically, a saxophone microphone and vocal microphones, that would be really useful too. 👌
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It boils down to budget… It’s tough to recommend gear without a sense of how much is available..!

But first things first. If you know anyone locally with a studio who’s opinion you respect, it wouldn’t hurt to have them look over your space and possibly point out potentially problematic design and sound. If the room don’t sound good, it’s uphill from there on.

Apple’s new M1 processors work well with Logic, but drivers for hardware and VSTi’s and other non-Apple software may have issues. A fair bit of research there is probably needed once you decide what software you want to use. But Apple is moving rapidly to the M1 architecture, so if you’re buying a dedicated computer for audio, you’ll be future-proofed for longer with the new CPU.

You’ll need to decide fairly early on what kind of interface you need. Will you be tracking a full rhythm section? A drummer? Just yourself? I’d say at LEAST four channels of analog in, you need three just to track a stereo keyboard while you sing, or a guitarist sitting in while you jam, etc.. 2in/2out will save you money, but limit you creatively pretty soon. Music is often a collaborative thing, it would be a shame to be unable to track a friend or two playing together…

The rest of it is still just budget, and research. Have a plan, have a fixed budget, the optimal gear soon becomes obvious. But put the money towards acoustics and speakers as your priority. Great speakers in a bad acoustic space will sound bad, and this goes all the way down the chain.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi worth

Sent you a PM

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bescki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not Smile
2004 = Korg Pa1x
2000 = Roland Va-7
1998 = Roland E-86
1996 = Yamaha ?!
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Korghelper"]It boils down to budget… It’s tough to recommend gear without a sense of how much is available..!

But first things first. If you know anyone locally with a studio who’s opinion you respect, it wouldn’t hurt to have them look over your space and possibly point out potentially problematic design and sound. If the room don’t sound good, it’s uphill from there on.

Apple’s new M1 processors work well with Logic, but drivers for hardware and VSTi’s and other non-Apple software may have issues. A fair bit of research there is probably needed once you decide what software you want to use. But Apple is moving rapidly to the M1 architecture, so if you’re buying a dedicated computer for audio, you’ll be future-proofed for longer with the new CPU.

You’ll need to decide fairly early on what kind of interface you need. Will you be tracking a full rhythm section? A drummer? Just yourself? I’d say at LEAST four channels of analog in, you need three just to track a stereo keyboard while you sing, or a guitarist sitting in while you jam, etc.. 2in/2out will save you money, but limit you creatively pretty soon. Music is often a collaborative thing, it would be a shame to be unable to track a friend or two playing together…

The rest of it is still just budget, and research. Have a plan, have a fixed budget, the optimal gear soon becomes obvious. But put the money towards acoustics and speakers as your priority. Great speakers in a bad acoustic space will sound bad, and this goes all the way down the chain.[/quote]

Much appreciated korghelper .
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Korghelper"]It boils down to budget… It’s tough to recommend gear without a sense of how much is available..!

The rest of it is still just budget, and research. Have a plan, have a fixed budget, the optimal gear soon becomes obvious. But put the money towards acoustics and speakers as your priority. Great speakers in a bad acoustic space will sound bad, and this goes all the way down the chain.[/quote]

Much appreciated korghelper .
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting to equip my studio . Has anyone found a work desk with a slide out keyboard tray suitable for the dimensions and weight of the 76 key pa4x ?

I need it to support the keyboard , laptop a couple of monitors , audio interface and computer screen .

Any suggestions with links would be highly appreciated .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: