Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which is true?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITguy54

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Which is true? Reply with quote

1) Kronos sales are slowing because there’s dwindling interest in workstations. Discounts are happening with the Nautilus for the same reason.

OR

2) Buyers are ready for a replacement that’s noticeably more powerful.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos sales are slowing because it has been discontinued.

There’s evidently still enough demand for workstations to warrant Korg investing in the development of the Nautilus.

I can’t see Korg abandoning their significant investment in the Kronos and OASYS platform and operating system given that it runs on commodity hardware. Whether that means that Nautilus is it, or there will be a genuine replacement flagship remains to be seen. But I can’t see the platform going away any time soon.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
I can’t see Korg abandoning their significant investment in the Kronos and OASYS platform and operating system given that it runs on commodity hardware.

It's been essentially abandoned for years. There hasn't been an OS patch or upgrade in many years. Korg has milked the Kronos/OASYS platform dry.

There may be a market for a cheaper workstation like the Nautilus, but I suspect bringing it to market that had more to do with tweaking the platform they already had than developing a new product.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would they need a new platform to release a new product? I’m not sure that the existing platform has been “milked dry” - yes, it could stand to have some new features, some new sound engines and perhaps a UI refresh, but the platform can support all these things.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="danmusician"]
SeedyLee wrote:

It's been essentially abandoned for years. There hasn't been an OS patch or upgrade in many years. Korg has milked the Kronos/OASYS platform dry.

I'd maybe look at it another way. Korg developed a great platform and nine sound engines. How many of can say we have completely exploited the possibilities of all of them. I am still finding new sounds in AL-1

At a guess, if 80-90% of the workstation market jhave no interest in making their own sounds, why bother developing new engines.

The power of computers has come on leaps and bounds in the tine since the Kronos has been on the market, and the quantity, quality and versatility of VSTs has exploded. Is it worth trying to develop new synth engines in a fixed architecture under those circumstances?

And, as I said on another post, just because the Kronos is being withdrawn from sale, it does not make my unit irrelevant. It inspires me as a much as it did when I purchased it in 2014, and I still feel I have a long way to go with it.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, Derek.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the following word "LATER" (in the Nautilus parameter guide) makes me still believe about a real Kronos successor

"OASYS .SNG files have a timing resolution of 192 ppq
(parts per quarter note). If these .SNG files are loaded into
NAUTILUS or later, they will automatically be converted to
480 ppq"

🌞

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
I'd maybe look at it another way. Korg developed a great platform and nine sound engines. How many of can say we have completely exploited the possibilities of all of them. I am still finding new sounds in AL-1

Indeed, and look how long it's taken for the competition to catch up. Roland's Fantom is just nudging in there inspite of the awful sampling ability, and the Montage doesn't even come close.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is true? Reply with quote

ITguy54 wrote:
1) Kronos sales are slowing because there*s dwindling interest in workstations. Discounts are happening with the Nautilus for the same reason.

OR

2) Buyers are ready for a replacement that*s noticeably more powerful.

1) Clearly false. The MPC sales figures alone put that theory to bed. Ignoring the pads vs keyboard thing, the MPC line and its cousin, the Force, are fairly well analogous to what the Kronos does.

2) This makes more sense based on available evidence. I've observed before that if I were in the market for a Kronos, on current showing I'd get a Kurzweil.
Johnf_tx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:24 am    Post subject: Kronos discontinued Reply with quote

I think all of us are guessing. I'm just glad that I got one of the last ones with weighted action keys!

I'm going to guess (and it's only a guess) that they can't get parts to make it. Every technology company I know (and even car companies) are having difficulties delivering sophisticated products like network gear because they cannot get the components.

I was highly skeptical when Korg told us that they would no longer sell weighted action keys on the Kronos because the cheaper ones were better. They then said something about it being lightweight and easy to carry. This is nonsense. A well-known technological axiom is that you call something that's a defect "a feature."

I would imagine that they've got something else in the works but it's not near ready and it has the same parts problem with the Kronos. . Think about how much work it is to create the sounds in something like this, go through alpha and beta test, test it with insiders, and then put it through a bunch of stress tests with people who are friendly before you even announce it.

They might announce it more quickly this time because they have no current product to cannibalize. That is probably what I would do and try and get people to stay with Korg instead of jumping over to another vendor.

So, I don't know.

I wish somebody with inside information would tell us. Does anyone know any factory reps? I imagine the senior people at Guitar Center and Sweetwater probably know but they are sworn to secrecy.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos discontinued Reply with quote

Johnf_tx wrote:

I was highly skeptical when Korg told us that they would no longer sell weighted action keys on the Kronos because the cheaper ones were better.

Not sure where you read this, maybe I'm misinterpreting, but the RH3 is still current in a few Korg instruments.
I have a Kronos 2-88 and 73, and I like the RH3...it has it's flaws, but it suits me, and I was recently looking for a slim keyboard controller, so I bought a Korg D1.

It's like playing on my Kronos 88 but with some degree of portability with my vst's.

I was originally going to sell one of my Kronos's but with the shortage of parts, I've decided to keep the second one as a hot spare for the day I have a failure. At least I'll have sources of ready spares!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: