Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording to DAW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJC1980

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Recording to DAW Reply with quote

I have the Korg Kronos 88 Key keyboard and I have it connected via USB to my computer as well as the L/R Outputs to my UA Apollo. If I want to record to LUNA using my line outs (recording as wav), there is no issue. However, I am still learning the piano so recording as a wav file is not ideal (I make a lot of mistakes). I need to record as MIDI but I can't get the Plugin Editor to work. I am in Big Sur and had this working before but now it is not. Even when it was working, it was glitchy. I understand the Kronos is not a controller but what is the most efficient way to write on the Kronos while collaborating with other tracks in your DAW? I feel like writing and editing on the Kronos before exporting to DAW will take forever, especially not being a great player.

Can someone provide some advise on how to write on the Kronos and get it to your DAW? Its been like 6 months that I have had the Kronos and no updates to the plugin editor. What is the typical writing & recording process with the Kronos? I know people have their different writing processes but the final result, the music needs to get from the Kronos to the DAW? How do most people go about that? Can you still edit in your DAW? I just feel like this is so overly complicated, I must be missing something. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!!
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recording MIDI to a DAW doesn't require any plug-in editor. Any MIDI keyboard can be recorded into a DAW by simply connecting MIDI from the keyboard to the DAW. Select your recording channel set to record MIDI.

Hardware wise this can be MIDI through old style MIDI cables through a MIDI adapter or through the USB connection.

With the MIDI channels setup correctly your DAW playback should play the piano sound on the Kronos just as you recorded it.

I've never used the plug-in editor as I heard it was problematic. Again, you don't need it. Your sound editing would be done from the Kronos. Your performance editing would be done from the DAW. That's how I roll.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
rei0429

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my case, I use two track per one voice at Logic on Big Sur.

1.external instrument track to record MIDI data.
2.audio track to record played audio data.

step1
play kronos and record midi data on external instrument data with monitoring Kronos output.

step2
fix MIDI data

step3
play MIDI data and record audio from Kronos output.
RJC1980

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your responses, that is exactly what I want to do. No plugin editor would be ideal because when I did get it to work it would glitch a lot and notes would not play. I use LUNA so I don’t know if you are familiar with that? I have my USB cable going from my Kronos to my computer. I create an instrument track in LUNA and I just don’t get any sound but I do see that the MIDI notes play on the track. I thought that’s why I needed the plugin editor to bounce the sound to the monitors. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Sound editing from the Kronos and performance editing from the DAW is exactly what I want.

As far as the two track per one voice process (if I am understanding this correctly) I got that to work but I needed the plugin editor. I recorded the MIDI data and edited one one track then I routed and recorded the MIDI to audio on the second track as a wave.

This is very promising that this can work without the plugin editor, I just need to figure out what I am doing wrong. Any thoughts to what step I am missing, please let me know. In the meantime I will keep trying to get this to work and hopefully figure this out!

Thanks again!
~Ray
rei0429

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have LUNA, but last half of this article seem to be relevant.
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041441532-Playing-a-Virtual-Instrument-and-Recording-MIDI
section [Recording MIDI and playing back audio from an external MIDI instrument]

signal flow:
Luna instrument track ->
Mac USB-MIDI OUT ->
KRONOS USB MIDI IN ->
KRONOS Program Mode (prepare desired program) ->
Kronos Audio OUT ->
Apollo Audio Input ->
Luna audio track
RJC1980

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey rei0429 - Thanks for taking the time and sharing this information. This was helpful and was consistent to how I set it up and is correct. I ended up talking to Universal Audio over Zoom and they realized that my I/O's or something was misaligned. How it happened, I have no idea but just by setting the I/O's to default, basically resetting them got my Kronos working perfectly!

Thanks again!
~Ray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: