Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchased Korg Kronos2 73, No Hard Drive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CGZ84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Purchased Korg Kronos2 73, No Hard Drive Reply with quote

I have reached out to KorgUSA and waiting a response. Thought I could ask the question on here to see if anyone has a quicker way to fix the issue.

Im assuming it isn't as easy as just simply replacing a new hard drive.

Any advice/direction would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

Very Happy
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this was a new Kronos? Take it back.

KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought from someone or from a store ? Did you open the unit and saw there is no hard drive or is there a problem/message on the screen at boot up ?
CGZ84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Bought from someone or from a store ? Did you open the unit and saw there is no hard drive or is there a problem/message on the screen at boot up ?

Purchased the item used- So "no take backsies" lol

It was giving me an error while trying to boot, I thought maybe the RAM got knocked loose so I opened up the back to realize the HD has been removed.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-oh... Shocked Well, first, make sure to never buy ever again from that person. Wink

Next, if you saw nothing in the mid-section holder inside the Kronos, the SSD was indeed removed. You will have to buy a new SSD (NOT a conventional mechanical hard drive), then format it and install everything needed using the Kronos DVDs, which are available on the Korg site. Note that you need to download the correct set, as the data on the DVDs are not the same depending if yours is a Kronos-2 (wooden sides) or an earlier version (the initial and X versions have black sides).
average_male

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded my K1 to a better SSD have the original SSD in a drawer. Wondering if my original SSD could be used in your keyboard or if it the drives at tied to the motherboard or other internal component, I am guessing the later.
CGZ84

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Uh-oh... Shocked Well, first, make sure to never buy ever again from that person. Wink

Next, if you saw nothing in the mid-section holder inside the Kronos, the SSD was indeed removed. You will have to buy a new SSD (NOT a conventional mechanical hard drive), then format it and install everything needed using the Kronos DVDs, which are available on the Korg site. Note that you need to download the correct set, as the data on the DVDs are not the same depending if yours is a Kronos-2 (wooden sides) or an earlier version (the initial and X versions have black sides).

I appreciate you spending time to shed light on this issue and help me out. Any idea Which SSD I should be considering?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original 62GB SSD for the Kronos is a Toshiba part: THNSNB062GBSJ. It is probably quite difficult to get hold of now, and asking prices are silly money. The Samsung EVO 860 256GB might be an alternative.

There are several relevant threads on this forum regarding upgrading, for example:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=116804

Try to obtain the original Kronos 2 back up DVD-ROMs, if possible. There have been reports of difficulties with downloaded ISOs not working properly.

tunaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

average_male wrote:
I upgraded my K1 to a better SSD have the original SSD in a drawer. Wondering if my original SSD could be used in your keyboard or if it the drives at tied to the motherboard or other internal component, I am guessing the later.

Won’t work, as it stands, because they are all serialized and authorized as such… I believe it’s the crypto chip which validates during the boot sequence?

Doesn’t matter, as he should be able to buy a nice current (larger) SSD drive and get the authorization key from Korg so that he can install from scratch.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch dude sorry to hear that.

When I cracked open my Kronos 2 73' the factory SSD was an "Innodisk Industrial SSD." They're a bit pricey because they were made to be rewritten Over and over and over again with a low failure rate but you can find the drives online.

You also can get away with putting in any SSD really. Since you don't have one in there. The Samsung Evo SSD is the more popular one. I got a WD 500gb in mine so far it's been working well.

The only difference is you'll have to make a factory format for your disk with all the boot data and that's a bit trickier to do but there are guides on youtube and on here on how to get it done.

P.S. did you buy your KB off Craigslist or a back alley?
SlowFingersJack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you certain there was no hard drive? The K2 comes with its original hard drive plus an empty slot for a second hard drive.
Korg Kronos 2 88; Korg Kronos 2 61; Korg Krome 61; Korg Triton Extreme 61; Korg CX3 (MIDI); Behringer DeepMind 12; studiologic MP113; neo Ventilator II; Arturia Keylab 88; novation ReMOTE SL 61; Cakewalk by Bandlab; Logic Pro X; EWQL Hollywood Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, Percussion (Diamond)
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGZ84 wrote:
I appreciate you spending time to shed light on this issue and help me out. Any idea Which SSD I should be considering?

My K2 now boots/works entirely with a 250 GB Samsung EVO 860. It's a very reliable SSD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: