Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading WAV file to a Pad?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SauronsDad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Loading WAV file to a Pad? Reply with quote

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated ……. I massively struggle with keyboard manuals …. always have ….. Thank goodness Youtube came along!
So …. on my PA1000 (which I haven’t had long) …… I am trying to load a WAV file from a USB stick to one of the pads (above the variation buttons). The WAV file is a 6 second sound effect that I want to use in a song.
Firstly, is it even possible to do this?..... I can get the WAV file off the USB stick but I get stuck after that…….
Secondly, if it is possible, please could anyone point me to the relevant page in the user manual ….. (shudders with fear) …. or point me at a Youtube video … (I’ve looked but can’t find one …. ) ….. or if you’re feeling ultra benevolent, I would massively appreciate a step by step guide ….. bút really basically explained please …….
Cheers guys ….. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Loading WAV file to a Pad? Reply with quote

SauronsDad wrote:
... trying to load a WAV file from a USB stick to one of the pads ..

Wav-files only can be loaded with sampler, but can not be used as sound without converting to PCM-format.

Load your wav-file and save it as a new sample - Write new sample (PCM)
Normalize, cut/trim your new sample and reWrite Sample (PCM)
Create Multisampe with written Sample - Write Multisample (MS)
Create User Sound with written Multisample - Write User Sound (PCG)
Create User Pad with written User Sound - Write User Pad (PAD)
Edit Pad settings: Pad Sync=off, Pad Type=one shot, Track Type=Drum
If track type is not Drum: NTT Type = fixed, NTT table=no transpose

Assign your written UserPad to a Style-Setting or a Songbook-Entry (Pad#1-4)

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
SauronsDad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Siebenhirter! ..... Thank you for taking the time to reply!

OK .... So I followed your instructions and got as far as Write Multisample .... but then I got stuck.......

I can't work out how to "Create User Pad with written User Sound - Write User Pad (PAD)"

On the page titled "Sampling", the original WAV off the USB stick and the newly created Multisample are listed. However there are two versions of the Multisample ...... "PirBuildUpL" and "PirBuildupR" ...... (PirBuildUp being the name of the new Multisample) ..... so although I think I've saved the Multisample correctly, I don't understand why there are "L" and "R" versions

I suppose it doesn't help that I've not had this PA1000 long so I'm still getting used to it but it you'd be kind enough to help me some more, I'd really appreciate it!
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: user sample used for pads Reply with quote

SauronsDad wrote:
.... I got stuck....... !

To understand a pad that is supposed to work with samples:
A pad is like a style with a single track.
A track works with one or more midi events as a trigger and uses a sound to be audible.
A sound consists of one or more multisamples (ms).
A multisample consists of one or more samples (pcm).
What you did was just the first step to get pcm samples converted from the wav file.
When you loaded your wav-file in sample-edit-page you got two pcm-sample-files - one for right/one for left side because your wav was a stereo-sample. These two pcm-samples are no multisamples, but just two different mono samples, as used by the sound generators of the pa-arrangers.

After that loading you can edit and rewrite the both pcm-samples as described in manual (page 468 ff - cut, trim or normalize, loop ...).

Next step is to use each of these both pcm-samples for creation of two multisamples (page 481 ff - assign kbd-zone or index ..).
If written that multisamples they can be used as oscillators for creation of a new user sound (manual page 488).

To get the stereo-sound of the wav-file with sound-editor it is necessary to set oscillators pan-settings to left/right according to the pcm samples ("PirBuildUpL" and the other is "PirBuildupR") used in the multisamples for the new sound.
Now you have customized and edited your new sound you can customize/edit a pad with that sound.
After the sound is to be played back like the WAV file without changing the pitch, the parameters Ntt type must be set to fixed and Ntt table to No transpose.
At least one note must be recorded in the pad record so that the sound is also triggered as soon as you press a pad button to which you have assigned this sound.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
midimusa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If this .wav is effect as You wrote then You can import a MIDI Groove created with the Time Slicing operation (in the Sampling) - PA1000 User manual V1.2 Eng Page 299. Over the internet are many videos about that for older models but process is the same.
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating Sound with 2 Multisamples is works, but a lot of work and you need sacrifice 1 spot for new sound.
If this sound is just wave sound, which not requited be pitched and you just wanna fire by PAD is more quicker, easier way.

1. Go to Sampler and Load Sample.
2. Write and select DrumSample family as SFX, save as new Sample.
3. Exit Sampler.
4. Go to Sound Edit.
5. Select any SFX or DrumKIT (prefer in User Bank).
6. Press Menu and go to DrumKit.
7. Find any Key you wanna assign your wave, tip try above G6, most likely is something there useless and can be change.
8. Let's say you choose G6, there change in DrumSample fro ROM to RAM.
9. Change assign sample to your new one, should be in last position.
10. Increase Decay to MAX value +63.
11. Make sure in Voice Mixer, Enable Note Off Receive is unchecked.
12. Test if is working by pressing G6 key, if yes Write Sound to same location.
13. Go to Style Mode and record New PAD.
14. Select Rec Length to 1 and CV Length to 1.
15. Change Pad Track to sound you just edited.
16. Set NTT Type to Fixed and NTT Table to No transpose.
17. Press Menu and go to Event Edit.
18. Highlight first line and press Insert.
19. Change Value 1 to G6 and Length to max (D:000.000.383).
20. Press Menu then Track Control and check if Pad Type is set to One Shot and TrackType to Dr.
21. Write PAD to your choice location and Exit Record.
22. Assign new Pad to one of 4 location, test it and enjoy. Wink
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SauronDad

I think this is what you are looking for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STL8-Fk3iIA
Hopping this helps you.
With regards
Eduardo
SauronsDad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys .... genuine thanks for your detailed replies ...... really really appreciated.
Frustratingly, I'm away from home for the next few days so I can't actually try what you've suggested ..... but when I get back, I'll be onto it ...... and I will tell you if I was able to do it!!! .... ( I can't stand it in forums when people ask for help and people are good enough to offer help but then they don't actually say what the outcome was......!)
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you got almost all ways to do it.

If your sample must be sync to beat, then best way is as on video summit by Eduardo_Arg.
If your sample need to by re-pitch, something like voice sound, sync with chord progression then you need follow siebenhirter and create sound with multisample.
If your sample is just some effect doesn't have to be sync to beat or chords, maybe best is follow me.
Either way now you can decide what exactly you need. Wink
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visit korgworld.co.uk which is the website of Korg UK specifically for Pa arrangers

Follow links for their webinars and you will find the Sampling tutorial video that you seek.

You will probably need to register with them

https://www.crowdcast.io/e/sampling-with-korg-pa/register?utm_source=profile&utm_medium=profile_web&utm_campaign=profile
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: WAV for PAD Reply with quote

SauronsDad wrote:
.. saved the Multisample correctly, I don't understand why there are "L" and "R" versions ..

For the creation of a PAD from a WAV file you can either use multisamples to create a new Sound or single samples to create a new Drum Kit. The possible values of a WAV files format chunk assume information about the saved number of channels - you tried to load a stereo sound (2 channels, 2 samples), where loaded stereo samples will be saved as two separate mono files, and will be treated as mono files when reloaded.

If it is important to keep the stereo effect as it was recorded in the WAV, then the PAD should also be supplied with the stereo sound in a multisample and not with an SFX or drum instrument sound, because only one oscillator for such sounds is used in a PCG - also parameter Pan (stereo position) of the selected oscillator is not available when editing one-osc-sounds.

SauronsDad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe it!!!!!! ........ I've done it!!!!!! ........ It's taken me two hours but I've done it!!!

As the sample was the finished article before I imported it, I followed your advice Nemik and because I'm new to the keyboard, it's taken me a good while to sort it out but I got there in the end!!!!!!!

I would never in a million years have worked out how to do that by myself ..... and I've looked at the manual and I've no idea how you worked out how to do it from the manual either ...... !!!

Now I don't want to sound like I'm disrespecting anyone elses suggestions because I absolutely appreciate the time you've all taken .... Hopefully everyones suggestions will help someone else somewhere down the line.....

It's kind of difficult doing this kind of stuff on your own especially as you get older....... I'm afraid all my music mates gave up, moved away or died which is why I appreciate your help so much!

I can't email beer but I shall raise a glass to you all very shortly!

Thanks again guys!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: