Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Larger SSD?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lvbeethoven

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject: Nautilus OS, virtual machine on much more recent hardwar Reply with quote

RavenRusher wrote:

I just took my Nautilus apart and it seems that everything is pretty standard x86. The motherboard is basically Asrock IMB-140D Plus with some missing port not soldered on, and all the Korg proprietary stuff are attached via the internal USB socket. To this end I'm thinking about the possibilities of running the entire Nautilus OS in a virtual machine on much more recent hardware and have the USB ports passed through. If we can get the hypervisor to emulate the correct USB controller, we might be able to run Nautilus system on a much faster platform without any modifications at all.

Very interesting, do you have any news about this?
THANKS
lvbeethoven

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Nautilus OS, virtual machine on much more recent hardwar Reply with quote

New SSD (500go) on bord. Perfect ! Thanks
https://scontent-cdg4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/345023318_637330058450278_1463064640333211666_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=KtzzNb8OeJ8AX8DnRy0&_nc_oc=AQkAbh9DHbNz5opP73Bwx1ivZ8Rb-gUtq3-iO5OKlG_I-jRQnX1Gmj70OqjxRWf6lPIYlbO02hHUomzXhkUmxCx4&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg4-1.xx&oh=00_AfB1CpySi721pnIc5EEvCDGHiHr4ANpg3PhZd5K6yuclPA&oe=64665296 Razz
downtownpaulyp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:56 am    Post subject: My SSD sh!t the bed Reply with quote

Well, after upgrading with an inexpensive Kingston 256GB SSD, I realized the technology on the SSD was low cost, high density, and generally poor wear life.

So it's no surprise I've been having the dreaded cut-off note issue which, when it occurs, also locks up the touch screen. This issue has been attributed to SSD failure. Sigh.

Tonight I ordered a replacement SSD, a Transcend 256GB TS256GMSA370S.

Why does the NAND technology in SSD's matter? Read this and learn a little:
https://www.techtarget.com/searchstorage/Flash-memory-guide-to-architecture-types-and-products

Basically:
    Single-Level Cell (SLC) - one bit per cell, two levels of charge, the original NAND technology that is generally price-prohibitive these days except in hyper-critical industrial applications. It's also the lowest density of NAND flash memory.
    Multi-Level Cell (MLC) - two bits per cell, 4 levels of charge, the next level of density, with a commensurate drop in price and endurance / reliability.
    Triple-Level Cell (TLC) - 3 bits per cell, 8 levels of charge, now you're getting into very dicey territory, with an order-of-magnitude less endurance / reliability.

Lesson learned.

Instead of spending $34 on TLC technology and having my weekly gigging keyboard now regularly p00p!ng its pants onstage and needing a re-boot, I'm going to spend a few more bucks (OK, a LOT more, like 5X) and get something with MLC technology for higher reliability.
recreational

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavenRusher wrote:
and all the Korg proprietary stuff are attached via the internal USB socket

Are you sure? This was true on the Kronos, does not appear to be the case on the Nautilus.

Also, how do you plan to safely power the Nautilus NKS4 board, which has a custom connection to Korg's custom power supply? Just connecting a USB header isn't necessarily going to do it. Be very careful at this point.
MehranPa5x76

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recreational wrote:
RavenRusher wrote:

Are you sure? This was true on the Kronos, does not appear to be the case on the Nautilus.

Also, how do you plan to safely power the Nautilus NKS4 board, which has a custom connection to Korg's custom power supply? Just connecting a USB header isn't necessarily going to do it. Be very careful at this point.

Hi

My friend hacked Kronos os and install 8gig ram usable

😵‍💫🤨😵‍💫
recreational

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MehranPa5x76 wrote:
recreational wrote:
RavenRusher wrote:

Hi

My friend hacked Kronos os and install 8gig ram usable

😵‍💫🤨😵‍💫
Please don't make misleading claims like this.. The Kronos and Nautilus run 32-bit operating systems. Iirc 2277 GB is the max amount of ram that can be "hacked" for the OS to use. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Getting root access on these things isn't particularly hard, but that's not going to give you the ability to recompile the Linux kernel, core, which the modifications that Korg made to, btw, still remain unpublished iirc, in a flagrant violation of the GPL).
paoloslax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: L'SSD originale č MLC? Reply with quote

The original Korg Nautilus SSD is:
Buffalo M060BU64MUCKG
It's a 60GB drive

I would like to know what kind of technology does slc, mlc, tlc use?

Previously I installed a:
Transcend TS128GMSA230S tlc
To replace the original Buffalo SSD for the audio dropout issue.

I no longer had audio dropouts.

But I would like to install an ssd that is at least on par with the original.

This is the only information I could find about this original ssd:

https://www.buffalo.jp/product/other/msata.html

The model it might look like might look like this:
M060GBU7N04MGEx

Which is an MLC

Pardon my translated english
tekhedd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I endorse this process.

I cloned my factory SSD to a larger SSD when trying to work around the "sounds cutting off" problem, using "dd" and gparted and a linux box. Worked like a charm, system didn't complain once.

Going to install the bugfix OS today if I can find a free minute. :P
jrzjrc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recommended use ADATA IMSS332-256GT.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a YouTube video which might help someone with cloning the SSD. The camerawork is a bit less than ideal, but there might be enough info to be useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC3IVSHVLkQ

Alp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or does the google drive page only have the file in french?

(17 aug 2023).

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1S9ubNDcyGZDyh0gje3P4EXEXFnoXqctj?usp=sharing
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good going, Korg: Korg's official website lists the Nautilus as having a 2.5" SSD.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/nautilus/specifications.php

Talk about a copy-and-paste rush job!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
tekhedd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My SSD sh!t the bed Reply with quote

downtownpaulyp wrote:
So it's no surprise I've been having the dreaded cut-off note issue which, when it occurs, also locks up the touch screen. This issue has been attributed to SSD failure. Sigh.

Attributed to SSD failure? By whom?

I doubt it is due to wear. Mine, purchased new, started to have the cutoff failure after a few weeks.

I replace it with a new SSD. It now has cutoff issues, but only shortly after booting. After a few minutes it is fine. Booting, however, now takes about 5 minutes.

SSDs, when worn out, fail to write. Reads that eventually succeed after a timeout are not a normal failure symptom for storage media.

Quote:
...and get something with MLC technology for higher reliability.

If this works, it would be fantastic. Followup?
tekhedd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:02 pm    Post subject: Glitching and load times fixed Reply with quote

Well... I finally got the last of my problems ironed out. It boots in 2:30 (without expansions) and plays without glitches.

Learnings:

1) Replacing the SSD did fix the glitching issues. However, this does not mean it is a faulty SSD, it could just be a coincidence of the drive layout.

2) Upgrading the OS did not seem to make a difference for the glitching

3) Doing a Full Install fixed the load times. I did not do an install-and-format, this was not necessary.

I did not test whether a full install would fix glitching without an SSD upgrade.

Hope this helps somebody.[/list][/list]
studio460

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:48 am    Post subject: Nautilus Depot: Paid SSD/CPU upgrades. Reply with quote

Paid Nautilus SSD/CPU upgrade:

This is excellent news about the Nautilus' reported successful SSD upgrades. Has anyone successfully upgraded their CPU as well? Both tasks are likely beyond my skill-set. I would pay a fair amount of money to someone to perform these upgrades for me. My Kronos-88 is simply too large, so I'm planning to get the Nautilus 61 Aftertouch. I'm also going to buy a ton of KApro orchestral EXs libraries and am concerned about the Nautilus' SSD-capacity.

Since Korg released the new AT-models, this was my trip-wire, and I'm now willing to swap my Kronos for a Nautilus. The only key feature I'm losing is KARMA, plus I think the new arpeggiator actually seems very useful and pretty easy to use. Although someone in Los Angeles County would be ideal, I would be willing to pay for shipping. For a 61-key board, the cost isn't too prohibitive.

If anyone is interested, please PM or email me at studio460[@]icloud[.]com. Thank you!

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: