Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS 61 fails boot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruart99

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: KRONOS 61 fails boot Reply with quote

Folks, I'm not familiar with posting on forums so please excuse me if I stuff it up. I have tried every suggestion that I have seen so far in this forum, but still cannot get my KRONOS 61 to boot. I have checked the SSD and it appears fine. My DVD player is recognised and I can proceed to the point where I am asked to hit enter (twice) to completely restore the OS. At that point, it crashes. I have followed the boot process on my PC monitor and have captured the last few lines of UNIX statements at the time of the crash. Not being familiar with UNIX, I have no idea what it is telling me.
I'm afraid I'm out of ideas ... any suggestions?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your posting on this forum seems fine. Most folk will fall into the double or triple posting trap at one time or another, which you've managed to avoid. There are occasions where the forum responds quickly to clicking on the "Submit" button, and other times the forum takes a *long* time to respond, where the temptation to click the "submit" button several times can be overpowering. These multiple clicks each results in a duplicate posting. If you do fall into this trap, there is a way out. You can delete the last posting, provided no one else has responded to it and, when that's done, you can delete the "new" last posting.

Anyway, enough of that. Regarding (re)installing the Kronos software, are you using the supplied Korg backup DVDs, or have they been burned by you from an ISO file? I have found the Korg DVDs to give more reliable results. The other thing is the DVD player. It might be worth trying a different DVD drive. Even though the one you have is recognised by the Kronos, there may be a subtle timing / drive-ready issue when you hit Enter twice. The kronos seems quite fussy at this stage of the re-install process.

If that still fails, try reseating the RAM inside the Kronos. If the Kronos is still under warranty, take it back for repair or replacement.

bruart99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind words. I don't have the original backup disks, the unit is second hand. I have downloaded three different sets of iso files that have been recommended by various members of this forum. I get different results for all three, varying from a straight HALT (boot shows GRUB) to the result I mentioned before where I get to the restore point but fail straight after. I have read about the issue with DVD players but I thought that as my player is recognised, perhaps it is OK. I take your point about possible timing problems though - I guess I could try playing around with different delay times. I have reseated the RAM card, checked the connectors, although I haven't tried checking voltage levels as suggested by some. I don't know where to check. I have seen talk of the sub-board (OMAP?) as a possible issue and the last few lines of UNIX from the boot process does mention this. I have no idea what the UNIX statements are telling me however. Unfortunately, warranty is long finished and I'm not sure where I could find a "good" KORG repair dealer in Brisbane/Australia. It's all a bit of a shame - the keyboard was brilliant for a number of years. Cheers.
ranman86

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, was going to suggest connecting your DVD drive to the 2nd SATA port inside the keyboard vs the external USB, but I see you already have read and replied to my topic from earlier drama this year. That and a very specific DVD burn procedure was what finally worked for me. Best of luck!
bruart99

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ranman86 -- it was your post that inspired me to persist with trying to restore my KRONOS, particularly when I saw you were successful. I can't see how I can connect my DVD drive to the spare SATA port. It has a USB connector and I understand that it's not possible to reverse my SATA to USB converter. The protocols apparently only work in one direction. I do have an internal DVD with SATA, so it has just occurred to me that perhaps I could try with it. I did try burning a restore ISO to my spare SSD unit but it isn't recognised either as a USB device or a SATA device. I believe it must be created as a bootable drive, which I tried to create but not being at all familiar with UNIX, I suspect I didn't do that correctly.
You mentioned in your that you had "a very specific DVD burn procedure was what finally worked for me". Can you help me with what that entailed, I'll try that with my internal DVD SATA drive and see what happens.
ranman86

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I like your tenacity! From post 9 of my thread:

Use Internet Explorer to download ISO files. This was actually a recommendation from Korg tech Support.

Use a zip utility to extract without getting a "file size" error.

Burn to know good media, for me Verbatim DL worked.

Boot Restore DVD’s from the Kronos 2nd SATA connections (vs USB A ports), using Lite-On IT DS-8ACSH with a Startech SLSATAADAP6 Slimline SATA to SATA adapter.

Sometimes the error messages don't point directly to the root cause of the issue. Just takes time to go thru the process of elimination.
bruart99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ranman86"]
Use Internet Explorer to download ISO files.

Hi ranman - I have a number of ISO files that I have gathered from various forum posters. Do you have any identification of which ones you've used? Also, did you actually "burn" the ISO using an ISO burner, or did you somehow use zip to extract and then copy the files to DVD?
To date, I have using the UNIX iso burner "K3b" (I've also tried Brasero and ISO Master) to burn my DVD's (many of which have failed the burn)
tunaman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to burn the ISO, as it contains the boot loader and all initialization files.

Also pay close attention to the media you use… be sure it is a good brand and the proper format for your device
ranman86

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this link for my KronosX provided by a Korg Tech Support email.
http://i.korg.com/uploads/Download/USA_KRONOS_DVDv202.zip

Re-read entry #17 from my install issue posting. As noted by tunaman, you have to burn the ISO using good media.

Internet Explorer on Windows 7 for downloading ISO onto Fat32 External drive (Firefox browser was problematic).
Unzip ISO w The Unarchiver, OS Mojave (avoids file size too larger error).
ImgBurn (Windows 7) to Verbatim DL media (Phillips media failed burn verification).
bruart99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh - thanks folks. Yes, I understand the need to burn the ISO file to get the boot loader etc. My confusion was the direction to unzip the ISO, but I now realise that this is because ranman has received his ISO in a ZIPed file format. OK, now the next part. I have downloaded v202 files previously, and when I tried to burn the ISO (KORG_KRONOS_1D.iso) my burner (K3b) reported that the filesize (5.2Gb) was different to the declared volume size. Is this the same error as ranman is mentioning when advising the use of "The Unarchiver". I unzipped the download with Explorer's unzip tool.
Also, I note that ranman used ImpBurn running on Windows to create the DVD. I have been using a burner running on Ubuntu (UNIX). WOuld this make a difference - I thought the keyboard's operating system was UNIX based.
ranman86

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, the file size error when attempting to burn came down to switching browser from Safari to IE and downloading the ISO's again.

The UnArchiver was used because it can deal with these large zip files, whereas I had trouble on the Windows machine. They were 2 separate issues.

ImgBurn has been suggested by many posters here who have burned the ISO's successfully and has more to do with a known good application vs operating system.
bruart99

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - so I've burned the ISO from the USA_KRONOS_DVDv202.zip file onto a Verbatim DL disc, and it completed without errors. The disc was burned on a machine running Ubuntu, hence UNIX based. I have connected my ASUS DRW-24D5MT DVD writer/player to the second SATA port in the keyboard and booted onto the ASUS player. It stops immediately with GRUB. If I change the disc back to the one I was previously using (which managed to run to the first Update menu before failing), it also stops immediately with GRUB. It appears that using the SATA port does not work in my case. AM I missing something special that I need to do? Any help much appreciated.
ranman86

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trial and error my friend.

Try removing your SSD and see if the Kronos will boot into Install DVD 1. Do you get any further into boot process? Is your SSD under 64 GB?

Kronos are picky about what DVD players they'll play with. Do you have another to try from forum member's suggestions? I used an external w SATA adapter. You wouldn't think it'd be a power issue with hooking yours up internally, but who knows, it can be the case with power to the USB ports.

Try going back and booting from DVD via USB ports.

I wouldn't think that burning with UNIX would be problematic, esp if you have no error message. Have you tried Windows w/ ImgBurn?

Hopefully you'll find the combination that works for you!
tunaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranman86 wrote:
Try going back and booting from DVD via USB ports.!

THIS… I would guess that it is configured to look for the installation media on a DVD drive connected to the USB port.

Anyone here done this previously with a DVD drive directly connected to the SATA interface?

One other thing you might try is to change the boot order in the BIOS menu? That might allow it to install from the DVD the way you are trying?[/i]
ranman86

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
ranman86 wrote:
Try going back and booting from DVD via USB ports.!

Anyone here done this previously with a DVD drive directly connected to the SATA interface?

One other thing you might try is to change the boot order in the BIOS menu? That might allow it to install from the DVD the way you are trying?[/i]

Connecting an external DVD drive directly to internal SATA was the Only way I could get my KronosX to boot to installer, no joke.

If memory serves, BIOS boot order does not list USB booting in it's menu - (even though USB booting is the Korg recommended procedure and it seems to work for most people).

Having said that, this was my experience from my post about this topic, "In the end, my Bios settings F2 could see every external DVD drive I tried, but the Boot setting F10 Never did - it only ever listed the internal HD. Booting from the 2nd SATA connection in the Kronos however was solid from the get go."

Korg used the standard, unaltered BIOS found in the off the shelf Intel D525MW that resides in my KronosX. Can't speak to other MB's in the series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: