Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Out of sync problem with opsix

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deniss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Out of sync problem with opsix Reply with quote

Hi, guys!

Amazing synth but..

I have out of sync problem with my opsix.

Tried to sync it with Elektron Digitakt via midi (digi as master) and sequence in opsix sequencer goes out of sync exponentially. Tried to send clock from Ableton.. same..

Last firmware installed. There is no problen with sync Digitakt and other synth.

Did anyone have such a problem? If yes, how did you fix it.

Could this be a hardware problem?
Should I send the synth to the warranty service?
edgraaff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running fine here on firmware 1.0.1, using a Roland TR-8S as clock source.

I'm thinking of a hardware issue here. Worst case the MIDI IN port is not working probably, but maybe it's as simple as trying another cable. If it's missing some of the beat clock pulses for whatever reasons, I suppose it would run out of sync.
If you use another keyboard or sequencer to make the opsix play notes over MIDI, does this work properly?
deniss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this video, the TR8S Roland drum machine is simultaneously launched, which sends a clock to Korg (Korg opsix in External midi clock mode). The opsix synthesizer uses rhythm preset # 217 (Electric Drum Kit) for clarity.

After starting, the devices play synchronously at first, but opsix gradually begins to lag behind and at 7-8 minutes it is already very clearly audible.

Can't fix it. KORG service center could not help.

I really like this synth, but there is no way to use it synchronously with other instruments.

Could you someone do a similar test?
edgraaff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, especially since its getting gradually out of sync. I've had an identical setup (TR-8S is the clock boss, Opsix listens), but didn't let it run for more than a minute or so.
Will give it a shot and see what happens.
edgraaff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can confirm the same is happening here. Some findings:

- when the TR-8S is set to 135 BPM, it gets much more out of sync than when running in 120 BPM
- for tempos where they do run good (near perfect) in sync, doing a "Nudge -" on the TR-8S (just once) helps

Second test is to try it using another clock. I used an USB MIDI controller (both devices got an own Out port) and let Reaper play 8 bars in a loop of silence. Now the findings were more interesting; the TR-8S struggled only the first 1-2 beats (because it doesn't know the BPM in advance and has to find out from the clock signals). Fix that by setting the tempo to the same BPM as in the DAW.
The opsix was simply behind quite a lot. After the 8 bars have completed and it looped back to the first one, it appeared to have lost the clock completely and stopped playing. Until another 8 bars have passed and the DAW looped again. Can't tell what the cause is here - it may be due to Reaper? The Roland didn't seem to have trouble keeping up.

Another test was to put a MIDI track in those 8 bars and let it loop. The TR-8S got a clock signal, where no clock signal was going to the Opsix. Only the melody was fed to the Opsix. This appeared to be doing just fine - of course, we don't use the sequencer of the FM boy here.

The problems appear to be in Listening to the MIDI clock only. When I route the Opsix MIDI out to the TR-8S MIDI in, both devices run perfectly fine!

Oh well, I didn't use the sequencer anyway.
deniss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgraaff wrote:
Yes, I can confirm the same is happening here. Some findings:

- when the TR-8S is set to 135 BPM, it gets much more out of sync than when running in 120 BPM
- for tempos where they do run good (near perfect) in sync, doing a "Nudge -" on the TR-8S (just once) helps

Second test is to try it using another clock. I used an USB MIDI controller (both devices got an own Out port) and let Reaper play 8 bars in a loop of silence. Now the findings were more interesting; the TR-8S struggled only the first 1-2 beats (because it doesn't know the BPM in advance and has to find out from the clock signals). Fix that by setting the tempo to the same BPM as in the DAW.
The opsix was simply behind quite a lot. After the 8 bars have completed and it looped back to the first one, it appeared to have lost the clock completely and stopped playing. Until another 8 bars have passed and the DAW looped again. Can't tell what the cause is here - it may be due to Reaper? The Roland didn't seem to have trouble keeping up.

Another test was to put a MIDI track in those 8 bars and let it loop. The TR-8S got a clock signal, where no clock signal was going to the Opsix. Only the melody was fed to the Opsix. This appeared to be doing just fine - of course, we don't use the sequencer of the FM boy here.

The problems appear to be in Listening to the MIDI clock only. When I route the Opsix MIDI out to the TR-8S MIDI in, both devices run perfectly fine!

Oh well, I didn't use the sequencer anyway.

Thanks man!

Yes this is only clock receive problem and this is global problem with many devices. Possible with all devices!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg opsix / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: