Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Nautilus chord triggers (pads like on Kronos)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aellison62

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Korg Nautilus chord triggers (pads like on Kronos) Reply with quote

Kronos has pad mode on combis that you could save a chord trigger to (M3 had it also). I realize Nautilus doesn't have pads but is there any way to save a chord trigger? If not, maybe in an update? Has anyone asked Korg for this capability in the Nautilus? I am considering buying one and a chord trigger capability would be a big plus for me.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no mention of any chord function, either in the Owner's Guide, or the Parameter Guide.

aellison62

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad. Chord trigger capability is a rather simple software implementation. On my Kurzweil it just allows you to assign a chord (up to 6 notes I think) to any given key. This could EASILY be implemented on the Nautilus. VERY useful playing live complicated songs
tunaman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed… they have the capability on the Kronos, and of course have the external NanoPad which supports them.

Anyone tried their NanoPad with their Nauty yet?
aellison62

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wonder what, if anything, the nanopad would automatically map to on the Nautilus. I would assume the nanokontrol would default to timbre volumes in Combi mode??? But the nanopad…….don’t know, curious
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nautilus may not map the nanoPAD to anything, but just use it as a class compliant controller. The nanoPAD pads can be programmed to produce chords of up to 4 notes, and are velocity sensitive, and all 4 notes of the chord would be played at the same velocity, unlike the Kronos, which allows 8 note chords with each note given an individual velocity, which is then scaled, depending on how hard the nanoPAD pads are struck, or how high up the pad screen the chord is played.

aellison62

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you CAN map 4 note chords to trigger on the Nautilus??? I didn’t see this capability mentioned anywhere regarding the Nautilus?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a feature of the nanoPAD, not th Nautilus. The nanoPAD can send up to 4 MIDI note messages by playing a single pad.

aellison62

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but then how are the notes of the chord assigned? On the Nautilus? Or on the nanopad? And how, where? Would LOVE to know this…..
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nanoPAD chord assignments are set up using the Korg Kontrol Editor, which can be installed and used without a nanoPAD connected, in order to get a feel for it. Normally, these settings would then be transmitted to the controller, where they are retained in non-volatile memory. Interestingly, the original nanoPAD allows up to 8 notes to be assigned to each pad to play simultaneously, whilst the nanoPAD2 allows up to 4 notes.

The Nautilus Parameter Guide contains this statement: "The NAUTILUS provides no user interface for USB controllers. Any settings stored in the controller, including controller assignments, MIDI channel, and so on will apply in the communication between the controller and the NAUTILUS. "

aellison62

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Voip, thanks for that info. I will check out the Korg Kontrol Editor!
wd8dky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to somehow use RPPR to do this?
aellison62

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Nautilus have RPPR capability? Honestly, I have never used RPPR with my Kronos X so am not familiar with it's features. Is it on the Nautilus?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nautilus does RPPR. Here's a useful tutorial by Rich Formidoni for the M3, but the principles are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH6TqFbskDc

Chords are definitely possible, at the cost of usable keyboard real estate, though, so best used with an 88-key board.

bpoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The Nautilus does RPPR.
Chords are definitely possible, at the cost of usable keyboard real estate, though, so best used with an 88-key board.

Actually there's not much advantage using RPPR using an 88-key as one might think because of the fixed key range for RPPR cut off which is C2 and below. That's 15 keys on 88 key keyboard that are basically unusable when RPPR is turned on. AFAIK, this hasn't been changed as it should have been - to be user configurable - in any keyboard with RPPR going back to the original Triton. It is certainly low hanging fruit for a feature improvement to be added to some future nautilus OS release, and long overdue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: