Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distortion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony mads usa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Distortion Reply with quote

I realize this is not the 'right' forum for this, but having posted on the Pa900 forum with 50+ views and no responses, I NEED HELP !!! The drum kits in certain styles on my KORG Pa900 are making a terrible distortion sound ... I think it is coming from a cymbal ... The attached file is a recording of a Rock style that uses both a 'Standard' drum kit and a 'Percussion' kit ... If you listen, you will hear the distortion in the beginning and then at about 18 seconds in I muted the Percussion kit and the distortion disappears ... later, when I 'unmute' the Percussion, the distortion returns. The problem is not confined to Percussion kits, as it happens when a style is using only a 'standard' kit ... Also, it doesn't happen with every style, so it must have something to do with the 'pieces' i.e. snare, hi hat, crash cymbal, etc. that make up the kit used in the style. I've also tried changing global EQs with no success, and it does not have anything to do with the volume on the KB. I am hoping someone on this board can help me out. I have never 'dug into' the kits, and would not even know where to start. Thank you in advance.

https://app.box.com/s/zq8lmwaddegajzaf0rg50t611zraaptu

I subsequently noticed that the distortion occurred in the "Zydeco" style, but it was emanating from the 'Fiddle' voice, not the drums. Could it be a certain 'audio frequency' (not sure if that's correct) causing the problem?

A couple of folks have recommended performing a Factory reset. Being a gigging musician, I have 'modified' countless Factory and third party styles for particular songs which are located in both the Factory and User locations, as well as several SMFs. Thinking of performing a Factory reset makes me fearful that I will lose some/most/all (?) of my personalized work.

Any viable suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thank You,
tony
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the sound is supposed to emulating (rather poorly!) the sound of a scrubboard, very common in zydeco music…

https://youtu.be/ukO2Y9x52Fg
tony mads usa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper, Thank you, but the distorted sound stops when I mute the 'Fiddle' in the Zydeco style ...
To make matters worse, the problem is not constant. I can turn on the KB and it will be fine, then suddenly appear.
stephenm52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Distortion Reply with quote

tony mads usa wrote:
I realize this is not the 'right' forum for this, but having posted on the Pa900 forum with 50+ views and no responses, I NEED HELP !!! The drum kits in certain styles on my KORG Pa900 are making a terrible distortion sound ... I think it is coming from a cymbal ... The attached file is a recording of a Rock style that uses both a 'Standard' drum kit and a 'Percussion' kit ... If you listen, you will hear the distortion in the beginning and then at about 18 seconds in I muted the Percussion kit and the distortion disappears ... later, when I 'unmute' the Percussion, the distortion returns. The problem is not confined to Percussion kits, as it happens when a style is using only a 'standard' kit ... Also, it doesn't happen with every style, so it must have something to do with the 'pieces' i.e. snare, hi hat, crash cymbal, etc. that make up the kit used in the style. I've also tried changing global EQs with no success, and it does not have anything to do with the volume on the KB. I am hoping someone on this board can help me out. I have never 'dug into' the kits, and would not even know where to start. Thank you in advance.

https://app.box.com/s/zq8lmwaddegajzaf0rg50t611zraaptu

I subsequently noticed that the distortion occurred in the "Zydeco" style, but it was emanating from the 'Fiddle' voice, not the drums. Could it be a certain 'audio frequency' (not sure if that's correct) causing the problem?

A couple of folks have recommended performing a Factory reset. Being a gigging musician, I have 'modified' countless Factory and third party styles for particular songs which are located in both the Factory and User locations, as well as several SMFs. Thinking of performing a Factory reset makes me fearful that I will lose some/most/all (?) of my personalized work.

Any viable suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thank You,
tony

Tony I hoping to hear what someone can come up with a solution to your problem. I know the member karmathanever has helped me in the past hopefully he will read this post and give you some answer. Good luck!
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check the effects routing. Does the scrub board run through a shared insert effect with the fiddle?

Have you also tried turning down the volumes of each track to see if it’s a D/A overload or insert effect overload issue? Tried turning off any Maxx stuff? Tried turning off any master compressor?

And if you’re scared of doing a factory reset because you might lose data, you need to read the manual and check a few threads here about how to do a full and complete data backup. Bad things happen, not just from doing a reset. Hard drives get corrupted, USB sticks fail, lightning surges can cause problems, etc., etc.. If you don’t trust your backup to restore after a reset, you don’t trust it for any reason…
tony mads usa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper ... First, Please understand that if I ask questions about what you suggest, it is out of my lack of knowledge and is in no way questioning you ...

I will try turning down the volumes of each track to see what results and look into your other suggestions ...

I do not know what "D/A overload" is, or how I would find out if it is an insert effect issue, or how to check the effects routing.

As for my fear of doing a factory reset, while failures beyond our control could happen, any "Save" or "Backup" I would perform I would put on at least 2 different USB sticks. I am more concerned about my following the right steps, so I will research these pages for more info regarding that.

thank you,
t.
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D/A is the final digital to analog converter. It’s pretty unlikely to overload that, there’s quite a bit of headroom and probably some kind of algorithm to limit prior to it (although that’s just conjecture on my part), but it IS possible to overload the inputs of insert effects by routing too much, too loud into them.

Probably one of the FIRST things to be completely familiar with in just about any modern device is the backup and restore functions. And the more work you do on it, the more you have to lose!

Personally, I’d prioritize learning how to do a proper, FULL backup of everything before you spend any more time on the distortion issue…
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pa900 has no insert effects so it can't be that..
Try turning off all effects and see if it continues doing the same thing.Most probably it will.
If it was an earlier model (pa800/2x/3x) i d say there is a problem with the ram not holding its contents or the dsp wouldn't be making contact with the ram but everything released after pa3x has 1 ram chip soldered on the cpu.If this had failed , the keyboard wouldn't boot at all.
I would try reinstalling the factory_reset.pkg for the pa900 and hope that it will solve the issue..![/list]

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't read all posts, but i have some questions:

-Style was created on older model or on pa900?

-Did you tried to close all master effects?Does this happen again?

Sooner or later you might think the problem comes from FX section even if the effects are closed,but my guess is that it has to do with power and convertors or Os itself.

Try to load the Os again or a newer Os and check again.
If problem is still there,try to resave the style under latest Os.
If still the problem doesn't go away,do a factory restore and load only the specific style to check the problem.Do not load any kbd sets .
If the problem is t gonne this way ,then it means you have to resave all your kbd sets one by one under the latest Os when you load them on keyboard.

https://pasongstyles.com/
https://soundcloud.com/korgfx
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If distortion is on one sound only within a mix, it can’t really be the final mix.

If no insert effects, what is the settings of the send effects?

If one sound only, what is the sound of that sound when played without the style loaded? If no distortion, probably a send effect from the registration or songbook entry.

I’m having a problem playing the whole appbox sound file. Seems to stop after about 30s in. But to me, I hear no distortion. Just the fake scrubboard sound. And then it stops and the drums keep going.
tony mads usa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly appreciate all the suggestions and will try to test them one at a time.

Just for clarification:
The recording I posted IS only about 30 seconds long ... I have no idea why BOX shows it as longer, but it seems to do that with any song I post there.

The style in the recording is a "Rock" style, and I do not know why there would even be a 'Scrub Board' in that style. The distortion has also happened in some Big Band styles, and of course the aforementioned 'Zydeco' style.

For me, the biggest problem is that the distortion is intermittent. I might turn on the KB, use a style where the distortion has occurred and it is not there ... return to that style later, and there it is again.
As I said, I will try some of the suggestions and report back.
Thank you,
t.
tony mads usa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As advised, I did some research on Factory reset/Backup, and quite frankly found some answers to be confusing, probably because I am not sure of the difference between "RESOURCE RESTORE" and "FACTORY RESTORE".

The options I have under Media>Utility are:
[] Full Resource Backup
[] Resource Restore
[] Factory Restore

Here is what I WOULD LIKE to do, and would like to know IF it can be done, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, HOW:
BACKUP and/or SAVE ALL (I'm thinking BACK UP will be better) everything on the KB - Factory styles, Factory styles I have 'modified' and placed in FACTORY and USER locations, GLOBAL settings, SONGBOOK entries - FACTORY originals and my own creations -, FACTORY SOUNDS and USER sounds I have 'modified'. [If I execute a BACKUP or SAVE ALL, do midi files and mp3 files I have resident on a USB get BACKedUP and SAVEed also?]

From one post I read, I got the impression that if I use the Full Resource Backup it will allow me to 'reload' everything (and I am not sure what 'everything' is, as questioned above) in one step as opposed to a SAVE ALL which will require me to 'reload' each component individually.

I guess, if I narrow it down, what I'm asking is:
If I do a Full Resource Backup, then a Factory Restore, then a Resource Restore, will all the KB entries (including all entries I have placed in both FACTORY and USER slots) look exactly the same as before I started the process, while hopefully eliminating the cause of the distortion?

Thank you,
tony
tony mads usa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Double Post
keithwjones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had same issue last week on Pa4X.

Rock Ballad 1 from PA800, on Acc 4 Legacy/Guitar/Power Chords 2.

I just muted it to solve the problem.

Was it distorted or was the sound not to my liking?

Keith
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you ‘muting’ the percussion by stopping a multipad?

Like I said, I’m not hearing any so called ‘distortion’. Sounds to me like some kind of rhythmic white noise type thing, the sort of thing that might be part of a Nine Inch Nails kind of rock drums loop or a zydeco scrubboard.

Are you sure you don’t simply have a multipad doing the noise?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: