Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many Kronoses (Kronii??) are there now?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trancedelicbluesman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: How many Kronoses (Kronii??) are there now? Reply with quote

Just wondering.

It has always been an expensive item, but it has been in production a long time.

Mine is pretty new but may turn out to be one of the final ones made.

All good things must come to an end, of course. Anyway there is now the Nautilus which probably uses the same mobo and atom chip--or does it?

The reason I am interested in this has to do with longevity--the more of them there are, the better the market will be for Kronos servicing in years to come, I would think.

There's a guy down in Texas who has been keeping Ensoniq ASR 10s alive for decades--and I don't believe there were all that many of those made to begin with.

Of course, Korg boards are pretty durable. There are still M1s and 0/1Ws in use today. That is a pretty good harbinger right there.

Oh well--I just really love my Kronos and hope to keep it going for the rest of my life.

Actually, considering my age it probably WILL outlast me! Smile
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least 50,000 + and probably much more given the fact that there is limited info about this. See a topic from here below.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=116904
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is ten years old and still kicking without any issues. Apart from a small chip in the case owing to a falling microphone stand, it still looks and sounds as new.

I replace the faders and some at the tact switches a while ago.

The good thing about the Kronos is that individual parts are readily available. Most of the boards are pretty simple, making component level repairs feasible. The most difficult to repair parts are the PSU - which is available as an OEN part - and the motherboard, which replacements are also available btainable as spares.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
trancedelicbluesman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Mine is ten years old and still kicking without any issues. Apart from a small chip in the case owing to a falling microphone stand, it still looks and sounds as new.

Good to know. Smile
Cpilot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My K61 is also ten years old and still going strong. Only mods are a bigger SSD and more memory. Also had to change the battery twice. Mind you, my PSR740 is twenty years old and still going strong.
steveyoung29

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest working synth is an Akai AX73, which is currently not in the rig whilst I am limited with space whilst I have some house modifications done. I have some cherished sounds in it which I'm looking forward to having back in my rig.

I have a ARP AXXE which is pretty f**ked but for some unknown reason I keep.

My oldest Korg is an X5D which is also waiting to come back into my rig, and also has some great sounds - it still has my favourite synth string sound - punchy and warm.

My Kronos LS 88 has been in my rig for 3 month since I bought it on Ebay. I still use my Triton Studio 88 as the main keyboard triggering the Kronos as I love the feel of the Triton and some how the piano sounds on the Kronos sound better when triggered from the Triton. I guess there is little logic to that, but somehow it works best for me.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: