Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

any advise on a good laptop? 1200-1500 range?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B10

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: any advise on a good laptop? 1200-1500 range? Reply with quote

Hi All.

if you don't mind, could you list the Specs i have to look for when buying a good music laptop in the 1200-1500 price Range? . i wanna produce my own music using my KORG Nautilus and whatever software that came with it... i might post a question next about the music software,lol but for now i wont bother you.

as i am researching, i came across bunch of specs and i kinda got lost . Cool .

for example, does it matter if i get and i7k processor vs i7, what about the quad cores?, what about the hard drive, does it have to be NVMe SSd? or just 1 TB+ 128 SSD?

look at this laptop i was looking at : 2021 Newest HP 15.6" FHD IPS Touchscreen Laptop PC Intel Quad-Core i7-1165G7 32GB DDR4 RAM 1TB NVMe SSD Intel Iris Xe Graphics Backlit USB-C Webcam HDMI Windows 10 Silver w/ RE 32GB USB 3.0 Drive.

another one : 2021 Acer Aspire 3 17.3'' HD+ Laptop, 4-core Intel Core i5-1035G1(up to 3.60 GHz), 20GB RAM 1TB NVMe SSD, HDMI WiFi RJ-45 Bluetooth Webcam DVD-RW, Win 10 w/Ghost Manta Accessories,

sorry for the long msg, but any help on the Specs i should look for would be greatly appreciated. i know i have a great group here at KORG. cheers.
Lou Sevens

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello I am also following- I actually got a Nautilus last night-
and a Arturia KeyLab controller as well.

Currently I have 16gb, from talking to people if you can get 32gb go for it.
Also, the SSD has quicker access time.

Be wary of a computer with a 128gb ssd as the boot drive + a second 1TB drive of 7200 rpm- as although the 1TB is good, a lot of the 128gb main ssd boot drive will be chewed up by windows operating system.

I myself am looking to get a second computer mostly for music- my min. will be 32gb ram and at least a 1TB drive; i still use music software with vst's and they use a ton of memory.
RobustAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in the market for a new laptop. Been researching and trying to narrow it down. Usually the advice is to get the most power available in a given budget range. I'm looking at Asus as I have always built my own desktops and I trust their motherboards without hesitation. (Laptops are kind of a new thing for me) I'm going with an i7, 16gb, 512gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro blah blah blah. I need Thunderbolt ports though and that seems to be a little hit and miss.
B10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: i found a good laptop..for the best price Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thank you for the responses. so i did my research relentlessly while asking some techy friends. so i came up with this great deal. please keep in mind that i have not tried the new laptop yet as its still in transit. but i will post more updates and let you know how i like it. check out this awesome deal that I think i got, and yes on Amazon:

. 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) 60Hz Touchscreen BrightView, micro-edge Display; Wi-Fi 6 AX201 Wifi, Bluetooth 5.0, 720p HD Webcam, Fingerprint Security System, Backlit Keyboard, .
【Powerful Performance with Intel Core i7-1165G7 Quad Core】 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 2.80GHz Processor (upto 4.7 GHz, 12MB Cache, 4-Cores) ; Intel Iris Xe Integrated Graphics, {GPU-CUSTOM-STRING}.
【High Speed and Multitasking】 32GB DDR4 SODIMM; 45W Power Supply, 3-Cell 41 WHr Battery; Natural Silver Color, .
【Enormous Storage】 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD; 2 USB 3.1 Gen1, 1 HDMI, USB 3.1 Type-C Gen1, SD Reader, Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack., Windows 10 Home-64., 1 Year Manufacturer warranty from GreatPriceTech (Professionally upgraded by GreatPriceTech)
【Authorized Dockztorm Bundle】 Includes Dockztorm USB Hub(Special Edition Portable Docztorm Data Hub;Super Speedy Data Syn Rate upto 5Gbps..

guess how much for all this ?: $ 999.99 on Amazon.com. i paid $ 149 for 4 year complete coverage warranty too. so total $ 1149.

i was comparing laptops for days and i think i found so much power for such a great deal. i hope this help you All. and let me know what you think of my deal.

Goodluck,
Bassimo B10
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B10, interested to hear of your response to your new computer and it's integration with your Nautilus. My old HP has seen better days and I may soon be in the market as well. Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: best for music production computer Reply with quote

best for music production computer.
well i guess i think apple and BIG bucks when I think music computer production...
$10k to 20k min on the computer...
all of that I/O stuff adds up quick for sure.....

on the cheap system....
avid.....
and zoom r24....
and then a midlevel acer computer and expand the heck out of the memory...

yes ssd drives rock for the up front computing...
bigger the better.....

all of the quantize etc you get in the edits....
it sure eats up resources super fast!!

these days 64 gb ram is not out of reach...
but it needs to be 16gb to 32gb as a min to be able to run several things at the same time....

if you are also thinking video production....
BIG bucks to do that right....

do not over look a good Ipad pro for basic fast music production...
lots of I/O items out now to help get the midi data in...

i guess i am still in to hardware mostly for keys....
so the 4 radias units work well as well as the m3 setup.
stack and track 100 stereo tracks....
for the masters....
then mix effects track down to the 16 tracks (8 stereo)
then final down to L,R or 7.1 depending on if it is for video...
or just radio play.

you have to start some where on a system.....
and do in house servers as well....
back up every 2 min!!
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
mosspa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: i found a good laptop..for the best price Reply with quote

B10 wrote:
Hi All,

Thank you for the responses. so i did my research relentlessly while asking some techy friends. so i came up with this great deal. please keep in mind that i have not tried the new laptop yet as its still in transit. but i will post more updates and let you know how i like it. check out this awesome deal that I think i got, and yes on Amazon:

. 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) 60Hz Touchscreen BrightView, micro-edge Display; Wi-Fi 6 AX201 Wifi, Bluetooth 5.0, 720p HD Webcam, Fingerprint Security System, Backlit Keyboard, .
【Powerful Performance with Intel Core i7-1165G7 Quad Core】 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 2.80GHz Processor (upto 4.7 GHz, 12MB Cache, 4-Cores) ; Intel Iris Xe Integrated Graphics, {GPU-CUSTOM-STRING}.
【High Speed and Multitasking】 32GB DDR4 SODIMM; 45W Power Supply, 3-Cell 41 WHr Battery; Natural Silver Color, .
【Enormous Storage】 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD; 2 USB 3.1 Gen1, 1 HDMI, USB 3.1 Type-C Gen1, SD Reader, Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack., Windows 10 Home-64., 1 Year Manufacturer warranty from GreatPriceTech (Professionally upgraded by GreatPriceTech)
【Authorized Dockztorm Bundle】 Includes Dockztorm USB Hub(Special Edition Portable Docztorm Data Hub;Super Speedy Data Syn Rate upto 5Gbps..

guess how much for all this ?: $ 999.99 on Amazon.com. i paid $ 149 for 4 year complete coverage warranty too. so total $ 1149.

i was comparing laptops for days and i think i found so much power for such a great deal. i hope this help you All. and let me know what you think of my deal.

Goodluck,
Bassimo B10

Could you please post a link, or even give the Amazon product name for this computer. I need a new laptop with 32GB for video editing on the road and this looks like it may be just what I am looking for.
Kurzweil PC3K8 (K2700 on order), Kronos 2 61, M3m, Wavestate, ASM Hydrasynth, Roland SE-02, Roland D-05, Kurzweil K2500RS, Modal Argon8M, Modal Cobalt8M, Waldorf Blofeld. Waldorf Pulse 2, Access Virus TI 61, Kawai K5000, 2x Kurzweil K2000S, about 75 VSTis, and over 12TB Kontakt libraries.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semirason wrote:
A gaming laptop is a fast, efficient, full of gaming technology device.

Which you dont need for music ceation..

The most expensive part is often the graphics board, which has no ise at all for music creation
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new macbook air wit 16GB is brilliant, it allows you to run logic €200 which is one of the best kost complete DAW’s and Mainstage €30 , which is your perfect companion on stage..

Unless you wanna do huge orchestral pieces, the macbook air is just perfect
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: