Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Light Keyboard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taichi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Light Keyboard Reply with quote

I have been here before, same subject so sorry to bore you. I need a small light keyboard, at the moment to sit and play outdoors. I have Pa4x and Pa1000, can`t move them daily. So EK50 or i3. Or maybe a Yamaha of same spec and price range ??

The i3 does not come with speakers I understand. I just need something “half decent” to carry about. Don`t expect 4x and 1000 quality obviously.

The need to play and move around the house and gardens is more important now than ever due to Covid. So a light keyboard with a decent sound,
Ek50, i3 or Yamaha ???

Thanks
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studiologic Numa Compact 2X.

I have one and love it.

A reasonable amount of onboard sounds.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another possibility... the new Casio CT-S1... though neither that nor the Numa Biggles mentioned have any arranger/accompaniment features, is that something you need?

Last edited by Scott on Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally Casio S3000 has plenty of options primarily reasonably light and onboard speakers

Casio CT X series sound OK but the OS is a bit quirky

Korg has nothing worth considering at the low end price point.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
Additionally Casio S3000 has plenty of options primarily reasonably light and onboard speakers

You mean PX-S3000? That's 24.7 lbs. That's heavier than OP's exising PA-1000 (23.7 lbs) which is already too heavy. Maybe you meant CT-S300 and accidentally typed an extra zero? That one is more than reasonably light, it's super light at about 7 lbs, could be a possibility... I know very little about that model, but I would think the newer CT-X series would probably be better, though you say that one's OS is quirky so maybe not...?
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Biggles wrote:

You mean PX-S3000? That's 24.7 lbs. That's heavier than OP's exising PA-1000 (23.7 lbs) which is already too heavy. Maybe you meant CT-S300 and accidentally typed an extra zero? That one is more than reasonably light, it's super light at about 7 lbs, could be a possibility... I know very little about that model, but I would think the newer CT-X series would probably be better, though you say that one's OS is quirky so maybe not...?

I realise the weight of the S3000 but it is far more compact in dimensions which will make it easier to handle.

Taichi has not indicated if having arranger features matter, if they do not then a Kross 2 and a Boss Katana Mini amp will also fit their needs, this is the combination that I used for a while, very light and easy to move around.

EDIT
Just seen the other post in the 4X section so ignore the above.

Steer clear of Yamaha unless you like being frustrated by a cr4p OS, Casio’s also have a quirky OK, I tried one as a stop gap, a CTX5000, it lasted the weekend, a very quirky OS that was hit and miss in saving Registrations.

Stick with Korg but perhaps the older Pa300 which is 18 lbs in weight
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
EDIT
Just seen the other post in the 4X section so ignore the above.

Thanks for pointing that out. I never look at the 4X section (I check here because I own a PA1000) so I'd have missed the response there.
taichi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles, Scott and Don

Thanks for your input. I have ordered a new keyboard. Googled the specs of the ones you mentioned plus others and noted the weights and sizes. I posted in 4x and 700/1000 sections because sometimes in 4x section I don’t get a reply. Sorry for any confusion.

My choice may surprise you because it weighs 9.9 Kgs not far behind Pa1000 at 10.75 Kgs. But it will go at the rear of the house near to double patio doors into the yard and gardens. I can manage that. My 4x and 1000 are in my upstairs “studio”, don’t want to move them.

So I have gone with the Pa700. Heavier than first intended yes but I feel that quality and a korg system that I know swung it. But only after your replies. Without this OP I would have done nothing.

There is one sad note. The wife overheard me ordering the Pa700 on the phone and hasn’t spoken to me since. She thinks that 4 keyboards and an upright piano is too much.

Will post this in 4x and 700/1000 section. Thanks.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do surprise me at only 2 lb lighter it is imo not worth the hastle and $1500 is a lot of cash for very little weight loss.

I sold by 700 because I ran out of memory, it is way short of the 1000
taichi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Biggles

I listen to what you say because the OP said lighter but things evolved and I cleared out the conservatory. Got rid of my spin bike, exercise bench, set of weights and other stuff never used. All gone. Plenty of room now plus double doors onto patio. A change of scenery from upstairs set up. Fresh air and sunshine. Can`t wait to take delivery now.

Good point you make about memory but 4x and 1000 take care of that. Pa 700 is for a different function, a “ bolt hole”. Plus Biggles, Harry has always been full of praise for his 700.

Thanks.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
You do surprise me at only 2 lb lighter it is imo not worth the hastle and $1500 is a lot of cash for very little weight loss.

but no longer need to carry it such a distance or up and down stairs, since he can leave the PA1000 where it is, and leave the PA700 close to its destination. So I guess even another PA1000 would have done the trick, but if the outdoor needs are more minimal, it's not unreasonable to save still a bit of travel weight along with a good bunch of cash. I guess the alternatives, without going down to the super-minimal models that started the thread, would be the PA600/300? I don't know much about them, but at least they would probably be more consistent with the 700/1000 in general interface. Would they be worth the additional savings?
taichi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote

"but no longer need to carry it such a distance or up and down stairs, since he can leave the PA1000 where it is, and leave the PA700 close to its destination. So I guess even another PA1000 would have done the trick, but if the outdoor needs are more minimal, it's not unreasonable to save still a bit of travel weight along with a good bunch of cash."

Scott,

Your post is spot on, made me feel I have made a good choice. No up and down stairs, 4X and 1000 stay where they are, Pa 700 is downstairs with a 1 or 2 metre step outside. Yes, the outdoor needs are more minimal. Thanks for summing up so well and positively.

The OP mentioned “lightweight” but I realise now that it could have meant a lesser build quality. I feel I have met it halfway with your forum comments.

Thanks
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new extra keyboard - I'm glad you got it sorted and (hopefully) got your wife onboard with the decision.
I'm turning 65 this week and just managed to convince my better half I needed a keyboard to supplement my Pa3x - which I love but am missing the following:
1) More keys (my 3x only has 61 and I am focusing on piano playing lately
2) Inbuilt speakers
3) Light enough to bring to church but weighted keys would be nice
4) Some inbuilt sounds but also easy connectivity to an iPad for extra sounds

I decided on a Yamaha (wash my mouth out) P121. It has 73 keys (E to E) a decent array of inbuilt sounds if midi connections fail, weighs 10kg, and only requires one USB cord to do both midi and USB digital sound return back to the keyboard.
Doesn't mean I'm dissapearing from the forum but with a Yamaha will I be welcome?
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Congrats on your new extra keyboard - I'm glad you got it sorted and (hopefully) got your wife onboard with the decision.
I'm turning 65 this week and just managed to convince my better half I needed a keyboard to supplement my Pa3x - which I love but am missing the following:
1) More keys (my 3x only has 61 and I am focusing on piano playing lately
2) Inbuilt speakers
3) Light enough to bring to church but weighted keys would be nice
4) Some inbuilt sounds but also easy connectivity to an iPad for extra sounds

I decided on a Yamaha (wash my mouth out) P121. It has 73 keys (E to E) a decent array of inbuilt sounds if midi connections fail, weighs 10kg, and only requires one USB cord to do both midi and USB digital sound return back to the keyboard.
Doesn't mean I'm dissapearing from the forum but with a Yamaha will I be welcome?

Good choice Reuben, I had a P121 for about 15 months, it is a great keyboard for the price.

If you have an iPad then checkout the Smart Pianist App by Yamaha, connect it up to the DP and the App can be used to set up and store Registrations.

Plus the iPad gives plenty of other App options to use with the P121.
taichi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reubens

No, the wife thinks I have too much gear. A first upright piano in early teens gets into your blood. My daughter went to piano lessons aged 8 and when Covid is over my plan is to get my young grand children on the Pa700. Singing and dancing to start with. Point is it`s in my blood and that’s it.

We all mention or purchase of other brands, don’t worry. Part of a learning curve that this forum provides. Helps us make good choices like I have done now. Have 3 Korgs from 61 keys up to 76 keys, suits any needs that I will ever have. Love my Korgs now after playing around with editing the sounds. What an amazing difference it has made.

Your input ref midi files (that I have converted to styles) and piano sounds (that I still need to do) are excellent and kind of you. Plus your other posts so thanks and keep posting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: