Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos USB to MIDIman 4X4 device

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davegraham193

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Kronos USB to MIDIman 4X4 device Reply with quote

I've been looking for the best keyboard to upgrade from my Triton Le. I have landed on the Korg Kronos as the highest candidate.
I run a MIDI show with a laptop currently, and split MIDI to 4 different devices using a MIDIman 4X4 interface.
The first one goes to the Triton for the main sounds like bass & rhythm sounds, and even some lead sounds through the insert effects. The 2nd one runs a lighting controller for a customized LED light show. 3rd guides tracks to trigger vocal harmonies as I sing through a T.C. Helicon Perform VK in "notes mode". And the 4th triggers drums from a Roland JV 1080 because I like the drum sounds from the Roland better than the Triton Le.
I was thinking if I dropped the money for the Kronos, I would just use drums from that, thus eliminating the JV 1080.
My question is: does anyone know if the USB outs on the Kronos could connect to the MIDIman 4X4 device to divide the remaining devices: Light controller, and vocal harmonizer - in order to do away with the need for the laptop?
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking if the Kronos can be a USB MIDI host so that it drives the class compliant MIDIMan like your laptop does? If so, I believe the answer is no. You would still need your laptop, or another MIDI router that does have a built-in MIDI host (i.e., can run standalone without a computer).
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It mostly depends how you program your stuff. Maybe it would be possible to achieve the same results using the Kronos instead of the laptop and the MIDI in/out/thru on the sound devices. Then you would not need the MIDIman either.
CliveJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the CME bluetooth MIDI adapters. If you don’t want to use your MIDI out they are just releasing a class compliant USB device that should work.

The devices can be used as a one to many connection if needed.

https://cme-pro.com

(I’m not related to CME but do have a few of their devices)
KingKronos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I would do it:

Export your laptop sequence as a .mid file.
Put it on a usb stick, pop it into the Kronos.
Load the .mid file into Kronos sequencer.

Of course you'd need to adjust the song's sounds.
Probably one of the template songs gets you close.

So you eliminate the JV and the Triton this way.
If your lighting controller has MIDI thru, you're all set.
Kronos to lighting to VK.

If no MIDI thru on light ctlr, then use the MidiMan 4x4.
But with the Kronos normal MIDI out, not USB out.
Kronos usb A slots are MIDI in only. And power and file transfer.
Davegraham193

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Kronos as USB host Reply with quote

Thanks to all for answering the question of whether Kronos can be used as a USB host... How handy would THAT be?
I have done exactly how you described. Light controller has no MIDI thru, but I have a 1in-4out MIDI thru box which should accomplish the same thing.
The problem is when there is no harmonizer info traveling through the pipe, Lights work fine. Lights are set to ch14, but any other info (chs 15&16) corrupts what the controller receives even though 14 is set to "EXT" and 15&16 are set to EXT1 in the Kronos.
The lighting controller is old and I'm starting to think I need to upgrade that as well... Wifey is going to love that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: