Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg t3 boot problem no lights
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pasali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What electronic level, I am impressed! It is fortunate to have this kind of experts. Best of luck with the repair.
Invader32

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did as you said and shorted pin 13 of IC45 to ground while measuring pin 10 and it behaved like it was supposed to, the output went from 4.5v to 0 and then back up again when I removed it. But the keyboard still did not boot and nothing happened on the screen, just the usual lines were there . I replaced the capacitors after the keyboard stopped working because at first I thought it must've been some capacitor related issue because they hadn't been replaced so I ordered a kit and replaced them. But the keyboard still had the issue and didn't work. Also I would like to mention that I suspected the reset circuit because when I was changing the capacitors I noticed that the 50v 1uf capacitor was shorted open and I was using my multimeter to check by continuity,(I know they can't be checked accurately like this) but the replacement was giving me readings like a capacitor is supposed to as it charges from the multimeter' s voltage. That's why I thought the reset circuit might have something to do with it.
T3owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - based on what you determined, it appears that the problem is not related to a reset issue.

If you are located in an area where the humidity is high, especially in a coastal region with "salt air", some corrosion can develop and connector and other contacts might be an issue. One thing you could try is to reseat the ROMs in their sockets.
Invader32

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean to remove the rom chips and then put them back in?
T3owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invader32 wrote:
You mean to remove the rom chips and then put them back in?

Yes, although you might be able to only partially unseat the chips and then push them back in place. Such contact wiping can help if there's a poor connection. Power should, of course, be off, and care taken not to bend or misalign any pins.
Invader32

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reseated them but still nothing, I have no idea what could be wrong enough to cause it to not boot. Tell me if there's something else I can check and see. I really want this to work.
T3owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried self-checks? The following includes two test modes that aren't documented in the service manual...

Korg T-Series Self-Check Modes
------------------------------
Display OS ROM version number at upper left corner of display:
Press Number button 0 (lower row, "FINE") while turning T power on.

Initiate test mode as per Service Manual:
Press Number button 0 (lower row, "FINE") and PROG A button while turning T power on.

Initiate test mode that includes MIDI check:
Connect cable between MIDI-Out and MIDI-In.
Press Number button 0 (lower row, "FINE") and COMBI button while turning T power on.

Initiate test mode that includes PCM and Card memory testing as well as MIDI check:
Connect cable between MIDI-Out and MIDI-In.
Press Number button 0 (lower row, "FINE") and PROG B button while turning T power on.

Note: Accessing the last two modes above is not revealed in the Service Manual. These modes are available with OS version 29 ROMs, and possibly earlier versions.

----------------------------------
The lack of normal boot might mean that none of the above will work. However, let us know if there is any indication of a response.

Also, do you have access to an oscilloscope?
Invader32

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried self checks before and they didn't work because it isn't booting up, and these combinations don't give any response either. I don't have an oscilloscope, they aren't easily available here where I live. Also I wanted to ask, above the removable chips there is a solder pad marked high and usually they have 5volts when the keyboard is powered on but the one above the removable chip is low 0 volts is this normal?. Also if there are some voltage checks I can verify on the cpu or ram chips please let me know.
T3owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invader32 wrote:
I've tried self checks before and they didn't work because it isn't booting up, and these combinations don't give any response either.

As I mentioned, I thought that might be the case.

Quote:
I don't have an oscilloscope, they aren't easily available here where I live.

That's unfortunate. Checking for clock signals, etc., might help with diagnosis.

Quote:
Also I wanted to ask, above the removable chips there is a solder pad marked high and usually they have 5volts when the keyboard is powered on but the one above the removable chip is low 0 volts is this normal?.

Besides the "HIGH" marking near one ROM socket, the other socket is marked "LOW". A data word is 16 bits long, which can be formed from two eight-bit bytes. One ROM contains the high bytes, the other the low bytes. The board is marked to indicate which ROM goes in each socket.

Quote:
Also if there are some voltage checks I can verify on the cpu or ram chips please let me know.

I'm sorry, but DC voltage checks (other than power to chips) tend to be of minimal value in troubleshooting digital circuits. I can only echo, as Pasali suggested, that you recheck your previous work. Perhaps someone else will have further advice.

Best of luck.
Invader32

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm done with this one then, thank you both for your support and help.

Cheers.
slooky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sort of having the same problem with the x3,,,I turned the power on and there was nothing. I had to hold enter and down button and then push power button and it turned on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: