Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg 01wfd turn off and no power again! What is this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riva Lima

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Korg 01wfd turn off and no power again! What is this? Reply with quote

Helo! I was playing normally here at home, and the keyboard just turned off on its own, and didn't turn on again! When I press the power button, it is possible to hear the noise that it was turned on, through the audio output, but that's it ... no LEDs, no display, like dead ... has anyone seen this happen ???
Best regards
T3owner

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg 01wfd turn off and no power again! What is this? Reply with quote

Possible cause is a common 01/W problem, leaking electrolytic capacitors.

See https://hajo.kessener.net/electronics/korg-01w-no-sound-repair/
Riva Lima

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Korg 01wfd turn off and no power again! What is this? Reply with quote

T3owner wrote:
Possible cause is a common 01/W problem, leaking electrolytic capacitors.

See https://hajo.kessener.net/electronics/korg-01w-no-sound-repair/

I made noew some voltage measurements on the input pins of the CN21A connector, and I noticed that when turned on, the voltages are very low, they are no more than 2v each ... I think it is the transformer!
Riva Lima

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: The same with my 01wfd!!! Reply with quote

I think the culprit of my 01wfd not power, is the transformer ... I measure the 5 output pins that go to the psu board, which must be 12v, -12v, 5v and 2 ground ... and no result of these when it it's power on
the_crimson_thunder

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Korg 01wfd turn off and no power again! Reply with quote

Have you already checked the 3 fuses on the power supply board?

Depending on your mains voltage those fuses are:

110V - 120V:
FU2 &FU3: 1,5A slow blow
Fu4: 6,3A slow blow

220V - 240V:
FU2 &FU3: 800 mA slow blow
Fu4: 3,15A slow blow

And don't forget to check the mains fuse FU1 as well:

110V - 120V:
Fu1: 830 mA slow blow

220V - 240V:
Fu1: 250 mA slow blow

Since it is no switching mode psu I highly recommend to disconnect ALL boards from the psu to see if there may be a shortcut anywhere that may cause this issue...
Riva Lima

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, some measurements! Fuses, none are broken... and tested the disconnected psu from the board ... I checked the floppy connector on the board, if it was sending the 5v, and no ... it's not

https://youtu.be/TVZhX8bXn38
the_crimson_thunder

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Korg 01wfd turn off and no power again! Reply with quote

Judging from your video: you don't measure correct! That connector goes straight to the transformer where the output voltages are AC! But your meter is set to DC!

Related to your video you have (from right to left) the colors:

red - black - red (for generatiing +12V / -12V)

and

black(?) - blue (for generating +5V)

Set your meter to 200 V~, connect the red lead to the 'first' red wire (right side), the black lead to the black wire (2nd) - note the voltage on a paper or so. Keep the black lead connected and move the red lead over to the 2nd red wire (3rd from the right) and also note the shown voltage.

Now take off both leads, leave the meter to how it's set and now connect the black lead to the black wire (2nd from the left side), the red lead to the blue wire (1st from the left side) and note that measure. Please come back with the results...
Riva Lima

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg 01wfd turn off and no power again! Reply with quote

the_crimson_thunder wrote:
Judging from your video: you don't measure correct! That connector goes straight to the transformer where the output voltages are AC! But your meter is set to DC!

and

Set your meter to 200 V~, connect the red lead to the 'first' red wire (right side), the black lead to the black wire (2nd) - note the voltage on a paper or so. Keep the black lead connected and move the red lead over to the 2nd red wire (3rd from the right) and also note the shown voltage.

Now take off both leads, leave the meter to how it's set and now connect the black lead to the black wire (2nd from the left side), the red lead to the blue wire (1st from the left side) and note that measure. Please come back with the results...

Okay, miraculously, it went back to work, but now it's a few seconds on and off by itself ... transformer?

https://youtu.be/bGtF_8a6nsw
Riva Lima

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg 01wfd turn off and no power again! Reply with quote

and

Here is... And now I’m hearing that screeching noise probably coming from the 25v 6800uf capacitor

the_crimson_thunder

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Korg 01wfd turn off and no power again! Reply with quote

Those voltage values are all ok! I don't think that the transformer is faulty. Are those voltages you've measured still present if the synth 'switches off by himself'? Or only when in working order?

If they're present under both conditions the problem lies 'behind' the transformer.

If that issue shows up again I recommend to disconnect the 'outgoing' connectors from the psu - connection to the main board (CN4B), to the floppy drive (CN7A) and to the LCD FL (CN16A) while checking the voltages. Only one connector after the other to see if any of the voltage's values are fluctuating in a larger amount.
Riva Lima

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Korg 01wfd turn off and no power again! Reply with quote

Those voltage values are all ok! I don't think that the transformer is faulty. Are those voltages you've measured still present if the synth 'switches off by himself'? Or only when in working order?

If they're present under both conditions the problem lies 'behind' the transformer.

If that issue shows up again I recommend to disconnect the 'outgoing' connectors from the psu - connection to the main board (CN4B), to the floppy drive (CN7A) and to the LCD FL (CN16A) while checking the voltages. Only one connector after the other to see if any of the voltage's values are fluctuating in a larger amount.

I will check it, thankyou very much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: