Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minilogue xd not transposing midi input

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
formika.treehouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Minilogue xd not transposing midi input Reply with quote

I have a Minilogue xd module that I'm controlling with an arturia keystep. I'm finding that when I play via the keystep, the global transpose setting is ignored, but when I play with the "keyboard" (the sequencer keys in keyboard mode), then it is applied.

this behavior does not occur with the program transpose option, only the global transpose.

is anyone else experiencing this? is it a bug, or is there some other setting that would conflict with this?
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It is probably just the way it is.

Other keyboards have a setting to choose whether MIDI in taps in before or after master transpose + velocity curve. E.g. the microKorgs have it.

I had a look at the minilogue XD manual. It is not 100% clear what is implemented, but at least I did not find back the setting to change tapping point. So based on what you describe the XD taps in after the master transpose. So no bug...

Bye
formika.treehouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not a bug, but likely an oversight.

My guess is that they programmed it for the regular monologue xd, which has a keyboard and is meant to function as a standalone unit. The module is clearly designed to be used with an external controller though. It's cute that the built in "keyboard" will still transpose though.

The workaround for now is to use the program level transpose, which is sort of lame.

my band often plays a half or full step down, so I'll just have to remember to transpose all the patches I use for that project.

EDIT: just got a response from KORG support that "that is just the way it is". My oversight theory still stands though.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg confirms what I said then. It is indeed not a bug, but as you indicate an oversight. A pitty that they left the setting pre/post position out.

Anyway, editing all patches is also not real good solution to me...

Have a look at the Midi Solutions Event Processor: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm.
It is a device you can put in between your Keystep and the XD.
It can be programmed to do transpose.

With some keen setup, I think you can even switch between 3 different transpose settings. You need 4 settings per transpose option (note on/note off/pitch bend/mod wheel).
Each set is listening to another MIDI channel but next to transpose, it remaps the MIDI channel back to the one of the XD.

As I understand it, the keystep can easily be changed to use another MIDI channel and hence can quickly transpose. Something like this:
MIDI CH 1-> pass through the Event Processor
MIDI CH 2-> remap to channel 1, but also transpose by -1 semitone
MIDI CH 3-> remap to channel 1, but also transpose by -2 semitones

Have fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: