Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

seriously getting frustrated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
synthpeter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get Volca's to start on cue, you need to control them over MIDI; they respond to the play message.

That means you need a device with MIDI out, and a MIDI splitter if you have multiple Volca's that you want to start simultaneously.
Night_Crook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some of the same troubles as you. When I'm syncing up the volcas to themselves I have no problem. The sync in and out will sync tempo even with the drum. The only problem i have with the sync is when I dont use stereo 1/8 inch cable. I actually only use the cables korg provided because I have had trouble using other cables. When the volcas are linked up via sync in and out they do not transfer the play signal to the other volcas. When I sync the volca to my circuit I use the midi out port on the circuit using the adapter then use the midi input port on the volca. With this method, the circuit will play the first volca its hooked up to but not the other ones.

There is a way to start all the volcas at once but it will require a midi splitter and either a computer with an audio interface with midi in/out or a piece of equipment that sends midi signals. You'd have your machine hooked up to the splitter. Have the splitter go to each volcas midi in and you should be able to send a play signal. You may still have to sync the volcas via stereo cables via sync.

An easier method to do this would be to just get the volca mix. I believe it sends a play message through the normal sync cables and can start all the volcas at once.
slug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: seriously getting frustrated Reply with quote

zackkyp wrote:
the sampler despite its name isnt actually a sampler.

Woah there its name is Volca Sample, not Volca Sampler, for that very reason.

zackkyp wrote:

i cannot get all units to start at the same time and it doesnt happen by simply pressing play.....i still have to time it manually as if the function doesn't even exist. tempo is in sync and thats all.

Sync does not contain a start/stop message, but can carry a run message. If you want to share tempo and coordinate all your machines starting at the beginning of the bar, use MIDI and a basic splitter (AKA THRU)
FYI the modular synth world we use sync but often there is the facility to send/receive a pattern reset on a separate jack which is what the volcas dont have.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved the problem with an external MIDI sequencer, and a small Behringer mixer.

(Yes, the Berhringer sounds fine, and even if it didn't it's not as if the Volca series were designed for the most discriminating audiophiles anyway.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: