Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SOLVED] Roland DP-10 Half Damper Pedal @ Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyper_LFO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Roland DP-10 Half Damper Pedal @ Kronos Reply with quote

I want to use a Roland DP-10 Half Damper Pedal on the Kronos 2.

In global settings I changed the "Damper Polarity" to "+" (KORG is "-" by default) and the sustain works ok like a switch.

When I change the mode switch on the DP-10 to "continuous" the sustain works like a switch again but I cant hear any different gradations in the sustain.

So I guess the half damper function is not working. I would expect 2 different gradations of sustain.

There is only a little difference. In switch mode I can hear a little spring jumping when I step on the pedal. So is seems that the Kronos recognize a swelling value of the pedal in continous mode but does not interpret it correctly for half damping.

Hmm any advice how I can get it work to use the half damping mode?

Best!

Last edited by Hyper_LFO on Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hyper_LFO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pictures of the opened pedal. The swing-out rubber pad prevents the pedal from wandering around.

I tried to swap the red and the white cable for an negative polarity but it doesnt help to get half damping running. The calibration was done.

Should I try to swap red and black?

Trial and error Wink
davc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from having had both Korg/Roland keys & their half damper pedals ... sadly the best option seems to be ' brand specific ' ... sell the roland , get the korg pedal ...

though i did like the big rubber foot rest thing .. !!
Cpilot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is a reverse half damper, you need a modification The Kronos damper input is asymetrical and requires a pedal with a low resistance. Set the Kronos to "+" and put a 1000 ohm resistance in parallel with the damper pedal. I had to do the same with my Kawai pedal and it works beautifully.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg DS-1H half damper pedal has a 30k pot, connected as a variable resistor, between tip and sleeve, and the ring has no connection. Pedal up is 30k, pedal down is around 3k. The Kronos' Damper pedal input also has no connection to the ring terminal. The Roland DP-10 has a 10k pot connected between tip and ring. Try swapping the Roland pedal connections so the variable resistance is between Tip and Sleeve, and then perform the half damper pedal calibration (Global P2 page). There may be sufficient leeway for the Kronos to work with a 10k pot, after calibration, but there is no guarantee it will work properly.

Sweat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting, I never knew. Unlike MIDI, unfortunately manufacturers never standardized something as simple as the half-damper to allow simple interchange of each other's pedals. Hmm.

Here's other discussion:
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3061483/Searchpage/1/Main/201083/Words/%2Bhalf+%2Bdamper+%2Bresistor/Search/true/re-roland-dp-10-in-continuous-mode-doesnt-work-with-montage-8#Post3061483
Hyper_LFO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Roland DP-10 working @ Korg Kronos as a half pedal Reply with quote

Guys, you are great. Thank you!

I got it working.

And it was very simple. I just discontected the red (ring) cable and put the black there.

You even have not to change polarity in the global setting. Just do a half damper calibration in main global settings and save them. That's it.

So @voip you were right even the 10k pot (variable resitance) has enough way to control the half damper function after a recalibration.

For saftey reasons I disconected the red cable as the Kronos seems just to need 2 poles (Tip & Sleeve) and Ring is not needed.

@Cpilot do I get it right that putting a 1k resistor in parallel with the 10k pot in the Roland would make 909,09 Ohms? I guess your Kawai pedal has a higher res pot as the 30k in the Korg. So you bring the resttance down with the 1k resistor in parallel?

Keep playing!

Very Happy Cool
Cpilot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mod only applies if you have a reverse damper pedal. The normal damper input works OK with a pedal of 10k or more but in reverse mode it only works if the pedal is around 1k. My Kawai pedal is 15k so it needs the 1k resistance in parallel to make half damping work. Actually , what I use is a multi turn 1k pot in series with 680 ohms which allows me to set the half damping point to anywhere in the pedal travel.
Hyper_LFO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx! Cpilot that is very helpful for everybody modifying a third-party pedal for Korg Kronos.

Best!
exsequor699

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyper_LFO wrote:
Some pictures of the opened pedal. The swing-out rubber pad prevents the pedal from wandering around.

I tried to swap the red and the white cable for an negative polarity but it doesnt help to get half damping running. The calibration was done.

Should I try to swap red and black?

Trial and error Wink

Hi, is this still working well? I am having the same situation, thinking about doing this procedure. Best regards.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great works on this, as the Korg half damper pedal is expensive and I really don't like its design. And like you other guys, I have always been using Roland pedals as they are both sturdy made, reasonable heavy to not roll around if you get your foot of the rubber pad. I have have had 2 normal Roland Damper pedals, and beside refurbishing the oldest one with some new filt pad and new chord, and it still works flawlessly after about 35 years of usage.

Now I'm gonna get a Roland Half damper pedal and modify it.
exsequor699

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Roland DP-10 working @ Korg Kronos as a half pedal Reply with quote

Hyper_LFO wrote:
Guys, you are great. Thank you!

I got it working.

And it was very simple. I just discontected the red (ring) cable and put the black there.

You even have not to change polarity in the global setting. Just do a half damper calibration in main global settings and save them. That's it.

So @voip you were right even the 10k pot (variable resitance) has enough way to control the half damper function after a recalibration.

For saftey reasons I disconected the red cable as the Kronos seems just to need 2 poles (Tip & Sleeve) and Ring is not needed.

@Cpilot do I get it right that putting a 1k resistor in parallel with the 10k pot in the Roland would make 909,09 Ohms? I guess your Kawai pedal has a higher res pot as the 30k in the Korg. So you bring the resttance down with the 1k resistor in parallel?

Keep playing!

Very Happy Cool

Hi, is this still working well? I am having the same situation, thinking about doing this procedure. Best regards.
exsequor699

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did the cable change and the pedal works fine. Now I am getting "Can't calibrate" message, when trying to calibrate. I see this happens with Roland and Korg pedals as well. Does anyone know a way to solve it please? Thanks.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the half damper pedal appears to work OK, then the lack of "successful" calibration is a bit of a moot point.

It might be worth pressing the pedal all the way down reasonably slowly and as smoothly as possible during the calibration process.

exsequor699

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
If the half damper pedal appears to work OK, then the lack of "successful" calibration is a bit of a moot point.

It might be worth pressing the pedal all the way down reasonably slowly and as smoothly as possible during the calibration process.

Thanks for the reply, best regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: