Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Wavestate SE – 61 keys of wave sequencing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Korg Wavestate SE – 61 keys of wave sequencing Reply with quote

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2021-korg-wavestate-se-61-keys-of-wave-sequencing/
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And rightly so, it deserves to be in a full body. The wavestate is nothing short of brilliant. I wonder will the new patches make their way over to the smaller wavestate?

I’ve gotten rather deep into my wavestate and I feel that there’s a lot of multi-samples that are not being even used in the factory performances. Which makes it really great to explore and program. There’s so much possibility.

If the price is right, I’ll probably buy the 61 key also, but I wouldn’t sell my 3 octave version. Not ever.

Regards
Sharp.
Narioso

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like great idea and with AT as well.

Looking forward to what new sound might be in next firmware update for all Wavestates. It supported AT as modulation source as well so see no reason not to. I have DeepMind 6 right below Wavestate and can use that if so.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the price would be... $999 USD? That would be a good price for it, I think.

As someone who has an expanding list of 'things to buy', this may have to take the place of the original Wavestate.

With the above said, most of these newer units are mono-timbral, right? MIDI is our friend and I could totally see how these smaller units can still be incredibly useful from another larger keyboard to overcome the limitations of the smaller keybeds.

I could totally see my using the smaller 'keybedded' offerings with one of my 88-key synths, offering me even MORE flexibility during a live performance.

That new Wavestate SE looks great though and I may have to get one Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
loopman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would prefer Korg to make a definitive synth like this:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10158677175482508&set=p.10158677175482508&type=3

it would make much more sense, it would be more practical in both Studio and Live environments: only one power supply and no need to find a special support/stand for the actual 37 keys line Cool Wink
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tip my hat to Korg! We asked for one for keyboard players, and they've obliged. We can all arguably call out too often for endless requirement - almost as a matter of habit and not expecting a response - but Korg _are_ responding - in so many ways - stunning classic reissues, amazing new synthesizers, and in formats suiting all kinds of music creation scenarios. Kudos to Korg.

I've perhaps 15 - 20 Korg synthesizers but haven't been buying too much of their releases in recent years (though I bought the KingKorg recently (a _seriously_ good synthesizer - and I mean ___seriously___ good Smile - like a fine wine!!)) - but it's now time to rectify than and support them more by buying some of these _amazing_ new releases.
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
I tip my hat to Korg! We asked for one for keyboard players, and they've obliged. We can all arguably call out too often for endless requirement - almost as a matter of habit and not expecting a response - but Korg _are_ responding - in so many ways - stunning classic reissues, amazing new synthesizers, and in formats suiting all kinds of music creation scenarios. Kudos to Korg.

I've perhaps 15 - 20 Korg synthesizers but haven't been buying too much of their releases in recent years (though I bought the KingKorg recently (a _seriously_ good synthesizer - and I mean ___seriously___ good Smile - like a fine wine!!)) - but it's now time to rectify than and support them more by buying some of these _amazing_ new releases.

I'm with you, Kevin. I haven't purchase any new equipment since the original Kronos. It's time I investigate the Wavestate SE when it comes to market.

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ2 wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:

I'm with you, Kevin. I haven't purchase any new equipment since the original Kronos. It's time I investigate the Wavestate SE when it comes to market.

Agree - amazing little synth. Definitely getting one.

I'd love to see Korg now work with Stephen Kay to bring Karma to such a format with a plethora of dedicated controls going beyond even when OASYS/Kronos offer - perhaps even for them to thin Karma out a bit - but make it more controllable in a "grove-box" or small synth format. There is - let's be clear - incalculable potential - currently utapped - in Karma
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the Kronos, or other 61 key MIDI board, with the Wavestate has always felt better than playing using the 37 keys on the Wavestate itself, since there's interesting "stuff" going on in the extended registers. The existing Wavestate Performances don't seem to have been designed to respond to aftertouch, so it would be good to be able to port the Wavestate SE, "aftertouch enhanced" Performances across to the 37 key version, to see how they sound. The Wavestate SE does seem like an excellent addition to the sonic arsenal.

SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the brilliance in the software design of the WaveState, I find it really hard to get excited about a synth whose sound engine is powered by a $40 off-the-shelf Raspberry Pi.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
sani

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
For all the brilliance in the software design of the WaveState, I find it really hard to get excited about a synth whose sound engine is powered by a $40 off-the-shelf Raspberry Pi.

You’re so right! I would buy the WaveState in a heartbeat if there would be an Intel Xeon Processor with 28 cores inside, worth $9000. But just a Raspberry Pi? Absolutely not. Every single listener to my music so far always asked me about the processor inside my keyboards, so this definitely matters most.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:

It’s running on a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3+ so price wise, it’s probably less Smile

That wouldn’t bother me in the slightest though. If anything I’m far more happy about that than an Intel Motherboard / CPU combo as far as lifespan and reliability goes. That specific Pi will also be in production until 2026.

I work with the Pi4 quite a lot in my day job and the hardware is fantastic and crazy reliable. I’ve installed Pi4 B’s in some crazy extreme places and they run 24/7 without fail.

So, take it as a VERY positive thing KORG are using Pi’s.

For personal use, I have 3 Pi4’s I use as sound modules. The smallest of which can load more sample data than my KRONOS can. WAY more.

The magic is the software and the OS. Same goes for the Wavestate. While the Wavestate is more than just a Pi, as it has it’s case, dedicated controllers, connectivity, and so on, the magic is really the OS and the Software it all runs on, and honestly, that should be where the value is seen most of all.

I’d rather see KORG get more return for their software than see costs going to third party hardware suppliers.

As an end user, I feel that will directly benefit me far more as KORG can see more value in what they do software wise, which in turn gives me a better musical instrument.

Free Librarian. Free Editor on the way. KORG’s support, and god only knows what OS updates we will see over the life of the product.

Not to mention the great price point of the Wavestate. There are so many many reasons to use Pi's for everything where possible.

Regards
Sharp.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. I see your point, I really do.

But I already have a keyboard. And a Kronos with more than enough power and knobs and screen to run the wavestate engine. So paying $1100 for a keyboard I don’t need, and an extra control surface I don’t need, so I can run some software I don’t have on a $40 computer doesn’t seem worth it.

Yet I love my Kronos, so I’m a paradox I guess.

I just wish synth manufacturers would start releasing stuff that does things better than soft synths. There is so much that can be done with hardware that’s impossible with pure software systems, it just seems a missed opportunity. I’m talking DSPs, ASICS and FPGAs for example.

If the WaveState was $500, maybe.

This is all my opinion and based on my circumstances. I don’t think it’s wrong or bad or anything. Just not for me - and I very nearly bought one!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp, don’t get me wrong: I think Raspberry PI’s are amazing. And I agree with you about them bei mg a preferable choice to Intel (somewhat, though Intel has SSE and MMX).

I also agree a lot of the magic is in the software. I know Korg have done cool things on the Kronos to get latency down, like their own USB kernel driver, RTAI and running the Kronos sound engine in the Kernel.

But I also think I could recreate maybe ... 40% of what the WaveState can do, by myself using a similar Raspberry Pi. And am that just makes it feel less exciting to me.

And don’t know, I might be wrong, and it’s hard to explain. But I look at something like the Yamaha MODX, which is only about $800 more here (the wavestate is around $1200), and it is far more capable, more polyphony, but maybe not as fun. But could you imagine would the Wavestate would be like if they used an ASIC?

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, as I mentioned above, I built myself 3 sound modules from Pi 4’s in the last 6 months. Two of which are under €100 each and have touch screens. Best thing I ever built myself. If you can do it too, I would say go for it. Best money you will ever spend.

Could KORG have sold the wavestate cheaper? Maybe? I don't know. I didn't really question the price as I felt it was a super deal.

Regards
Sharp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: