Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Had my Kronos about a week now

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trancedelicbluesman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Had my Kronos about a week now Reply with quote

I am really loving it.

I did have doubts about the RH3 action at first but now I think it feels very nice--luxurious, even. It DOES take more effort than what I was used to, but my hands have adjusted without issue.

I bought it with no manuals or disks, but I have downloaded the quick start guide and the operations guide and will get the parameter guide when I am ready.

In the meantime I am finding my way around okay, browsing pages on the display.

There have been other monster synths with weighted actions, first among them the Prophet T8 and the NED synclavier (they bought their Keybeds from Sequential). I really enjoy playing sounds in the slow synth category with these lovely keys, and they are very responsive to soft delicate playing.

The piano sounds are rich and nice (and I discovered you can turn on string resonance for the Japanese and German grands--it is not on by default), but I find myself noodling around with all the pretty sounds, as opposed to actually, you know, practicing.

Also my Kronos is getting a bit smudged. What do you fine folks use to keep your boards looking spiffy?
travr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! The Kronos is still a beast of a workstation. I am just returning to it myself a few year break due to a move. I prefer fully weighted actions myself and I always found the RH3 to be a solid action.

As far as cleaning the Kronos' smudges, I always just kept a clean microfiber cloth around to wipe it down with. I always try to remember and wash my hands before playing too. That seemed to really help.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new K. You’ll spend hours exploring all the sounds that are available. Just in case you don’t know, there are Kronos YouTube videos available that will be immensely valuable when it comes to explaining some of the basic functions. Store them in your favorites because you’re likely to watch them more than once.
rb293

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: On the fence about purchasing a Kronos Reply with quote

I purchased one of the early versions of the Kronos but the keybed was so noisy i couldn't get by that. So I sent it back... I see that you commented about the RH3 keybed and I was wondering if they fixed that problem. Is it quiet? I would like to purchase a Kronos 2 if they fixed the keybed. There are not many more out there in the stores and I think they have discontinued the keyboard. So I must make up my mind if I want one.... thanks
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: On the fence about purchasing a Kronos Reply with quote

rb293 wrote:
I purchased one of the early versions of the Kronos but the keybed was so noisy i couldn't get by that. So I sent it back... I see that you commented about the RH3 keybed and I was wondering if they fixed that problem. Is it quiet?

Most digital keyboard actions, especially weighted ones, become more noisy with use. It is simple normal wear and mainly linked to compressed stop felts and so on.
rb293

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx kk but this was a brand new unit. The first few times i played it my wife and others were asking why the keys were so loud... Very annoying..thx
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rb293 wrote:
thx kk but this was a brand new unit. The first few times i played it my wife and others were asking why the keys were so loud... Very annoying..thx

Hmmm... Possibly the seller was not entirely honest about the age of the unit or maybe it had a defective keyboard. Of course no action is completely silent. My K2-88 is now 4,5 years old and a bit noisier than we I bought it new, but nothing annoying. The RH3 action is actually very well made.
trancedelicbluesman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: On the fence about purchasing a Kronos Reply with quote

rb293 wrote:
Is it quiet?

I think so. I mean, it is not totally noiseless but I only even noticed it at all after about a week of use, so you could say it's not obtrusive. Comparable to the 2 much less expensive boards I have (William's Allegro 2 and Casio XWp1), certainly.

Hope that helps...
tunaman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those two keyboards weighted?
trancedelicbluesman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
Are those two keyboards weighted?

The Williams is. I actually like that board a lot and would recommend it for beginners and/or tight budgets. It apparently has the same action as the m audio hammer 88 and the kurzweil sp6. My source for this info is the Youtuber known as John Mike ("You know who it is, its ya boi John Mike").

The Keybed felt good to me and I liked the sounds just fine. It had samples of a Fazoli and a Rhodes that I especially liked. These were not polished samples like Korg or Yamaha but to me that was part of their charm.

The Casio is synth action, 61 keys. I bought it because I had a WK3200 that I really liked the sound of. Well, and because it was cheap and available. But the WK used something called the ZPI sound engine which was more than straight sample playback. I don't know what sort of Mojo it involved but it sounded good--better than the XW, that's for sure.

As for the keybed, the Casio XW series is all over the map. Some are quiet (mine is) but a lot of them are noisy. I'm keeping mine for organ glisses and to sample some of the choir vox and synth waves. For everything else I will use the Kronos keys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: