Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca sample 2 won't connect on Windows.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtyBoomshaka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Volca sample 2 won't connect on Windows. Reply with quote

Hi there,

Figured I'd make my own topic instead of derailing someone else's. Here goes :

I got a sample 2 from the first batch with the corrupted factory data (early adopter, yay!).
So I'm trying to use the librarian to restore them (am on Windows 8.1, sample firmware 1.0), as explained in the news section on the korg website here https://www.korg.com/us/news/2020/0918/

I initially had a timeout error (stuck at 4 or 5%) and read somewhere I had to install the korg drivers.
However, after I installed the KORG midi drivers and with the unit plugged in with a (tested) working USB cable I still get a "Volca Sample is not connected" error popup.

I then tried to update the firmware but the updater gives me the error "Found no midi port" despite the Korg Driver configuration tool displaying my sample 2 as connected (but under the name "sample" and in USB 1.1, weirdly enough)

Interestingly, when I turn it on, my external sound card does show up in the midi IN/OUT settings in both the librarian and the updater.

Edit : oh, and the volca sample does show up in the device manager.
Edit2 : Managed to backup my sounds, fix the broken samples and update the firmware with a Mac (10.12) but despite all that it still wont work on my machine.

I still would like to not rely on someone else's computer to handle my sample management and I don't know where to go from there...

Any help welcome,
bonstio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the same here. Not impressed.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Do you have other MIDI devices connected as well?
The Korg USB driver is known to not handle correctly Korg gear when they have a MIDI device number assigned larger than 10. Not sure it is applicable for the Volca Sample, but worth to check it.

See e.g. this thread: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=123720.
It is for the MS-20 mini, but they all use the same USB driver.

Good luck.
bonstio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm certainly standalone with the VS2 having ONLY a USB cable attached to it directly from the Windows machine.

Really disappointing. Will be contacting support tomorrow.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok!

But did you actually look in the uninstall tool?

I meant in fact: did you have other MIDI devices connected before? It is a kind of registry where a device is registered in a table and keeps an entry there, even if it is not connected any longer. Which makes that if you used other MIDI devices before, the very first time you connect the Volca, it may get an entry assigned with a number larger than 10 and will keep that one each time you reconnect it...

Bye
Yuggs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinforcing what OpAmp has posted: Using the KORG MIDI Driver Uninstall utility has proven to be effective at getting the Librarian software to recognize the Volca Sample 2 on Windows. I've tried this method on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 and it has worked on both operating systems.

How to get the Volca Sample Librarian to recognize the Volca Sample 2 over USB

1. Open KORG MIDI Driver Uninstall Utility. It installs along side the KORG USB-MIDI Driver and you will need to search your Start menu for it . You can download the KORG USB-MIDI Driver here:

Windows 10: https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/driver/1/285/3541/

Windows 8.1: https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/driver/1/285/1356/

2. Once you open the KORG MIDI Driver Uninstall Utility, uninstall whatever items you can from the list (you can also click on "Option..." and uncheck "Delete KORG MIDI Device only" to uninstall non-KORG drivers for any other instruments or MIDI devices). Just be careful that you are uninstalling stuff you know can be reinstalled easily (target other clearly labeled USB-MIDI instruments before you consider removing any other drivers or anything you are unsure about)

3. Unplug the Volca Sample 2 from your computer and uninstall the KORG Volca Sample from the list in the KORG MIDI Driver Uninstall Utility

4. After uninstalling any unused MIDI drivers as well as the Volca Sample driver, plug the Volca Smaple 2 back in to your computer

5. The Volca Sample 2 should appear higher up in the list of MIDI devices displayed in the KORG MIDI Driver Uninstall Utility. The goal here is to remove enough MIDI devices from the list so that when you plug in the Volca Sample 2 it shows up between "midi0" and "midi9". If the Volca Sample 2 shows up at "midi10" or higher it will not be recognized by the Volca Sample Librarian.
ArtyBoomshaka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaah yes, I tried installing/uninstalling the driver several times with the tool and it might well have been in the higher numbers.

I'll try and fiddle with that and report back.

Edit : Yup, it's on midi11 and midi12, for 2 different USB ports.
Not sure what to uninstall. I have 5 wdmaud.drv (recognized as Korg drivers) that take up lots of space, my integrated sound card's that I won't touch, some NVidia stuff Miracast and HD audio (?)...
bonstio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reached out to support today and had a great experience. No horrible queuing but was connected with someone who knew what they were doing which was a refreshing change.

He spotted a driver issue and it turned out that I'd installed the Win 8.1 drivers on instead of the Win 10 ones. This was an easy mistake to make as the Volca 2 software was scattered across the website. Now it's all in one location which makes it rather easy to find what you need.

I backed out the 8.1 drivers and started afresh with the correct ones. And it works well. I hope this helps someone else.

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/867/
Yuggs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArtyBoomshaka wrote:
Aaaah yes, I tried installing/uninstalling the driver several times with the tool and it might well have been in the higher numbers.

I'll try and fiddle with that and report back.

Edit : Yup, it's on midi11 and midi12, for 2 different USB ports.
Not sure what to uninstall. I have 5 wdmaud.drv (recognized as Korg drivers) that take up lots of space, my integrated sound card's that I won't touch, some NVidia stuff Miracast and HD audio (?)...

I want to preface this by saying that "wdmaud.drv" is apparently a legitimate Windows audio driver and I had the same issue as you where I had several instances of it showing up in the KORG MIDI Driver Uninstall Utility. I'm not sure if there are supposed to be several instances showing up for that particular driver, but on my Windows 8.1 computer I had instances of it on channels 0,3,4,5,6, and 7. So I only uninstalled the instance on "midi7" as well as the driver for my VS2 which I believe was on "midi10" at the time. I then plugged my VS2 back into my computer and it took channel "midi7" and began working with the Volca Sample Librarian.

Long story short, uninstalling the last instance of "wdmaud.drv" and allowing the VS2 to take up the slot is what solved the issue for me and did not appear to create any issues with Windows.
ArtyBoomshaka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I tried running a clean install of my NVidia drivers with the latest update without the audio stuff that I don't use anyway and instead of removing the entries in the list it replaced the NVidia drivers with wdmaud.drv so I think those might be fallback values.
I'll just remove them all except the 1st one in the list and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Edit : Yup, that was it. Uninstalled all the wdmaud.drv (except the 1st in the list out of superstition), didn't get a bluescreen, everything seems to work.
Reinstalled the VS2 and now it works. Hurray!

Thanks for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: