Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos OS upgrade to Nautilus
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
piangio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Kronos OS upgrade to Nautilus Reply with quote

Wondering wether Korg KRONOS is going to a farewell tour or if new sounds and OS seen in NAUTILUS, will be implemented into future firmaware releases of kronos.
Any rumor here?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always skeptical of rumors, so I don’t have that for u

your post suggests you want your Kronos to sound and act like
Nautilus, correct ?

There are some diffs between the 2 boards that
might be significant to you. There is a sticky on diffs on the Nautilus forum.

My business opinion is korg would not do as u suggest

Last edited by GregC on Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edcollante

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think Korg's policy when it comes to updates is kind of pants. I've been a Kronos user for 5 years now but, to be perfectly candid, I'm seriously considering switching to Yamaha. Main issue, I don't like Korg pianos, both elecromechanical and acoustic. Also, sound banks are ludicrously expensive.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edcollante wrote:
Honestly, I think Korg's policy when it comes to updates is kind of pants. I've been a Kronos user for 5 years now but, to be perfectly candid, I'm seriously considering switching to Yamaha. Main issue, I don't like Korg pianos, both elecromechanical and acoustic. Also, sound banks are ludicrously expensive.

its a fact, no updates from Korg for Kronos in 3 years and zero communication from Korg Inc to the Kronos community considering our efforts to reach out.

Your points are subjectively fair, I have no problem with them.

I enjoy my MODX. I am lucky in that I can afford Kronos plus MODX. I plan to combine them for recording songs, and expecting a monster result.
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edcollante wrote:

Probably not a bad strategy based on your response. If a digital piano is your primary requirement, then the Kronos likely isn’t the best selection - I don’t think many would consider the Kronos to be best of breed for piano voices alone. The Kronos strength is the versatility and capabilities of the 9 engines combined into one workstation, along with all of the additional functionality.

I’m sure you will find a robust market for your Kronos should you choose to sell it and proceed in a different direction.

Good luck whatever you decide, and best of luck in 2021!
piangio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a deep listening to the various tests and after I looked into the manual, I think that Kronos will be upgraded to this new OS.
It would be weird as if this not happening. Maybe it would be to pay for the sounds upgrade that we hope will be cost effective.
Korg can't give up this wonderful project.
About Piano, after the release of <Italian> I found my definitive piano on Kronos. IMHO it's very good sounding with a great resonance and playability.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? The Kronos got a good five years of solid software updates that added many features. You buy a device for what it can do at the time of purchase - not what you expect it to do as the result of future firmware updates that may or may not happen.

Firmware and software updates aren’t all roses either. My 2 year old iPhone is basically unusable because of all the new s**t Apple added to it has killed the battery life and responsiveness - and Apple don’t allow you to roll back.

The Kronos is still an exceptional synth. No one owes
You anything. Furthermore, most (not all) of the changes in the Nautilus are cosmetic or UX related to account for the reduction in physical controls. Besides the new arps and scene features, it really doesn’t have any substantial additional features. What exactly are you missing out on?

As for the new sounds, sure, it might be nice if Korg made those available for the Kronos (where possible). But the Kronos is a synthesiser - go forth and synthesise your own new sounds!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
toeti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the Kronos won't get the OS from the Nautilus.

The GUI isn't mine.
Edcollante

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Seriously? The Kronos got a good five years of solid software updates that added many features. You buy a device for what it can do at the time of purchase - not what you expect it to do as the result of future firmware updates that may or may not happen.

Firmware and software updates aren’t all roses either. My 2 year old iPhone is basically unusable because of all the new s**t Apple added to it has killed the battery life and responsiveness - and Apple don’t allow you to roll back.

The Kronos is still an exceptional synth. No one owes
You anything. Furthermore, most (not all) of the changes in the Nautilus are cosmetic or UX related to account for the reduction in physical controls. Besides the new arps and scene features, it really doesn’t have any substantial additional features. What exactly are you missing out on?

As for the new sounds, sure, it might be nice if Korg made those available for the Kronos (where possible). But the Kronos is a synthesiser - go forth and synthesise your own new sounds!

Mate, I hope you're not mad at me. I was just expressing my opinion. I've never really liked Korg's pianos. Also, I've always found Korg's EPs to be thin-sounding and lacking "bark", I reckon it's a matter of personal taste but you want to compare Motif's EPs to the ones you get on the Kronos. Organs? Well, that's another major issue there, I think.

All I'm saying is I'm not willing to pay hundreds of $ to buy soundbanks after spending 6.5K.

As for the synths, aye, no complaints there.

Again, we're talking a 6.5K workstation here.

Happy new year.
Hector Space

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Kronos is a jack of all trades and as they say a master of none.
This makes it difficult to judge fairly because different people use it in different ways.
As far as Korg and updates are concerned it seems to me that other than providing add on libraries for the existing engines little has change since 2014 and in some cases since 2011. This is both a testament to the Oasys/Kronos project strengths and a clear indication of Korg’s failure to keep the basic instrument up to date with it's competitors.
The CX3 engine old in 2011 it is now a piece of history, yet it could easily be improved without need for extra hardware.
The SGX2 engine although updated in 2014 is now clearly way behind the current level of facility and performance expected from instruments in its class. Basically just adding new sample sets will not sort out the fundamental weaknesses in its design. It is a simple sample playback engine with simple switched velocity layers. Great for single notes but used pianistically it plays like a disjointed collage in comparison to today’s best from Kawai, Yamaha and Roland.
EP1 is a piece of history
Karma is a piece of 1990’s computer programming masquerading as a musicians friend (LMAO!). Where's the AI and machine learning? why isn’t there a user friendly interface? There is so much that Karma could deliver both as the accompanist (it should be) and the creative tool it’s trying to be.. It seems like Korg got lost somewhere between the Kronos and PAx range. Surely there’s a mega opportunity in the current locked down world for great feeling auto tracks and smart embellishments - without brain numbing hours twiddling data.
And the simple stuff like user banks.. The Kronos is like a clogged drain. In reality there's tons of room for user banks/combis and wavesequences.. it’s just a matter of allowing the structure to grow beyond the currently incomprehensible and self limiting a, aa, gg nonsense.
As far as loading new libraries and sample sets FFS how difficult would it be to make auditioning and locating new stuff, simple, safe and none destructive?
Oh and then there’s midi.. Korg clearly had no interest, respect or understanding of what a midi master controller should provide when they designed the Kronos. The single swell pedal input speaks volumes (hahaha) and the kludgy Combi-Karma configuration gauntlet you need to traverse if you’re at all serious about midi control routing is a bit like a prototype that never got properly finished! lolololol
So the Kronos could have easily been kept up to date and with it Korg could have created a long term and lucrative income stream.
The most obvious would be to create a plug-in framework that supported new engines and effects etc..
But I guess Korg have been too busy elsewhere. And to be fair the Kronos as it is still a jack of all trades!!
piangio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of negativity here.
Respect for everybody, but I'm also a programmer and actually I'm use to work on almost all of the workstations on the market.
Let me say that I think Kronos is one the most durable right-to-play gear of the last 10 years.
Maybe not excellent in everything, but it's the first choice of many of the pro live keyboardists worldwide.
I'm not posting this for comparing or competition. I play music and the competition is not interesting for me.
The Nautilus OS seems to me a good direction and this is the reason why I'd like to ask Korg to improve KRONOS implementing this.
I don't won't to force anyone, but this is a Kronos forum and if someone dislikes this instrument, it's free to give up, I think.
Cheers
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piangio wrote:

The Nautilus OS seems to me a good direction and this is the reason why I'd like to ask Korg to improve KRONOS implementing this.
s

I understand your request is serious. To be productive, post your suggestion at the above #2 Sticky :

"Top 50 Most Wanted Enhancements for Kronos"
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=122482
kronosflyby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos OS upgrade to Nautilus Reply with quote

piangio wrote:
Wondering wether Korg KRONOS is going to a farewell tour or if new sounds and OS seen in NAUTILUS, will be implemented into future firmaware releases of kronos.
Any rumor here?

When Pigs Fly ?

🙄

Korg changed strategy for a while, I think there won't be any other kronos, except maybe for the color, or other gadget ...

And so much the better if I'm wrong.

😷

Try my tool :

https://kronosflyby.myweb2be.com Very Happy
ITguy54

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos OS upgrade to Nautilus Reply with quote

kronosflyby wrote:
piangio wrote:
Any rumor here?

When Pigs Fly ?

🙄

Korg changed strategy for a while, I think there won't be any other kronos, except maybe for the color, or other gadget ...

And so much the better if I'm wrong.

😷

There are plenty of colors Korg has not put on the Kronos yet. This could go on for years.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piangio wrote:
Lots of negativity here.
Respect for everybody, but I'm also a programmer and actually I'm use to work on almost all of the workstations on the market.
Let me say that I think Kronos is one the most durable right-to-play gear of the last 10 years.
Maybe not excellent in everything, but it's the first choice of many of the pro live keyboardists worldwide.
I'm not posting this for comparing or competition. I play music and the competition is not interesting for me.
I don't won't to force anyone, but this is a Kronos forum and if someone dislikes this instrument, it's free to give up, I think.
Cheers

I do understand what you ask for. And I agree. But, considering the price range of the Nautilus, which not so far from Kronos, I'm afraid there won't be any Kronos update in that direction.
If it was the case, nobody would buy the Nautilus and would prefer spend a little more for Kronos.
Perhaps I'm wrong and it's only my opinion.

Look at Youtube Korg channel, where Nautilus is exposed as a "NEW" workstation !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: