Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does new Nautilus have PC motherboard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidpecelunas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Does new Nautilus have PC motherboard Reply with quote

Does it have PC motherboard? I know Kronos did.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like to know whats inside the box, not just the mainboard, but also processor, amount of memory (which should be 4 GB safely asuming the system is still 32 bit) but also SSD type and speed..

And how does the hardware influence polyphony?
If there is a reasonable modern CPU inside, i would asume that polyphony might be limited on the software side not to outshine Kronos polyphony.

I think when we know whats inside the box we will know a lot about the future..

I have allways been convinced that the reason the Kronos never got a real replacement was the fact that Korg was unable to upgrade to 64 bits..
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
I too would like to know whats inside the box, not just the mainboard, but also processor, amount of memory (which should be 4 GB safely asuming the system is still 32 bit) but also SSD type and speed..

If there is a reasonable modern CPU inside, i would asume that polyphony might be limited on the software side not to outshine Kronos polyphony.

I have allways been convinced that the reason the Kronos never got a real replacement was the fact that Korg was unable to upgrade to 64 bits..

What I know is that the boot time is the same on the Nautilus, that the SSD is soldered on the Motherboard, so it will be impossible to replace it with a bigger one, nor to add a second one as it was on Kronos.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Bachus wrote:

What I know is that the boot time is the same on the Nautilus, that the SSD is soldered on the Motherboard, so it will be impossible to replace it with a bigger one, nor to add a second one as it was on Kronos.

That would be highly unwise, todays SSD’s drop in performance and reliability, and even disk size after a few years, where these keyboards tend to have a life of 20 years or longer
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
Bachus wrote:

That would be highly unwise, todays SSD’s drop in performance and reliability, and even disk size after a few years, where these keyboards tend to have a life of 20 years or longer

I am 99% confident Liviou is correct. And I have seen a photo of the internals.

These might be examples of Korgs " stream lining " . But it I consider it cost cutting IMO. Keeping the costs down is king.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I am 99% confident Liviou is correct. And I have seen a photo of the internals.

These might be examples of Korgs " stream lining " . But it I consider it cost cutting IMO. Keeping the costs down is king.

Could you link to this photo? I opened mine and took several photos. To be honest I couldn't spot anything that resembled an SSD. Where ever it is, it's not immediately apparent. Not disagreeing with the conclusion, more curious. I was unwilling to dissect mine any more than removing the bottom panel.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the motherboard used. The reason I couldn't see the SSD is that the mini-SATA connection is on the underside of the motherboard, and likely the m-SATA SSD is attached in that area. Note, it probably uses an m-SATA SSD vs the larger version found on the Kronos.

https://www.asrockind.com/en-gb/IMB-140D%20Plus

Note the link is to the 140D-Plus. The Nautilus uses the ASRock Industrial 140D-KDM and it looks just like one in the link so assume it to be a close variant.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Note the link is to the 140D-Plus. The Nautilus uses the ASRock Industrial 140D-KDM and it looks just like one in the link so assume it to be a close variant.

Busch.

I seems that 140D-KDM doesn't exist on Asrock Website.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
burningbusch wrote:

Busch.

Yeah, I don't know any specifics but it could very well be that Korg had the KDM made to their specs. When you compare the KDM to other 140s, you see a number of headers, ports, etc. missing. The only visible port is a VGA. But many headers don't exist and are just solder points. Korg's propriety circuit boards all start with KLM. KDM, which is obviously close to that, might be a coincidence or might point to a board designed specifically for Korg.

Busch.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
burningbusch wrote:

Busch.

Maybe because its an industrial motherboard, and they only show consumer products on their website?

Probably still there for supporting 32 bit systems for dedicated software in the industry
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
burningbusch wrote:

Busch.

Maybe because its an industrial motherboard, and they only show consumer products on their website?

Probably still there for supporting 32 bit systems for dedicated software in the industry

Ok ! Perhaps it is the reason why the SSD is said to be soldered on the back side of the motherboard (while the consumer version uses an replaceable mSATA SSD).
And so, it souldn't be replaced with a bigger one.
RavenRusher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
burningbusch wrote:

Busch.

Yeah, I don't know any specifics but it could very well be that Korg had the KDM made to their specs. When you compare the KDM to other 140s, you see a number of headers, ports, etc. missing. The only visible port is a VGA. But many headers don't exist and are just solder points. Korg's propriety circuit boards all start with KLM. KDM, which is obviously close to that, might be a coincidence or might point to a board designed specifically for Korg.

Busch.

Today I opened up my Nautilus and removed the motherboard. I can confirm that the SSD is indeed a removable one with standard m-sata interface. Curiously, my Nautilus comes with a Buffalo branded SSD which I cannot find anywhere online.

I checked the layout of the motherboard and compared it to Asrock IMB-140D Plus, it seems that all the components are identical, with the exception that some IO ports and one RAM slot are not missing with bare solder pads.

Hardware wise the Nautilus has a single DIMM of 4G DDR3 RAM, and it seems like everything is attached to the motherboard via two internal USB ports, including the keyboard, touch screen, front panel buttons, joystick and rear audio/MIDI/USB ports. My guess is that one of the usb ports directly connect to the rear USB A port, and all the rests are attached via the Korg custom daughterboard.

Looking at the hardware, I believe there're huge opportunities for custom upgrade. A few years back, Kronoshacker_ and Marcan have upgraded the motherboard and CPU of their Kronos keyboards. In order to make the Korg software work with the new hardware, they have to do quite a bit of software patching. However, compared to the Kronos, the Nautilus is an even more standard x86 platform with every Korg proprietary hardware attached via the USB ports. This design opens up the opportunity of replacing the motherboard and running the entire Nautilus software in a virtual machine. As long as the hypervisor can emulate the USB controller in the Intel NM10 chipset, we might be able to run the Nautilus system without any modification at all.

Of course, the first thing I've done after opening up my Nautilus is to image the SSD. Now that I have the system image I'll try to see if I can boot it in a VM.
average_male

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavenRusher wrote:

Today I opened up my Nautilus and removed the motherboard. I can confirm that the SSD is indeed a removable one with standard m-sata interface.
And you didn't take any pictures to share with the rest of the class? I'm curious what the internals look like as I am unable to locate any images online. Guessing it would be very similar to the Kronos, right?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a link to a couple of internal shots of the Nautilus in this thread:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=125107

Look for links that start with: https://share.bublup.com/

And links to a couple of images of the mini-SATA connector and drive are in this thread:

www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=125760

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: