Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference Korg Kronos - Nexus 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Nexus 3 and was really disappointed to hear it didn't have any Ambient Modular DAW-Less Jam sounds. Have they even released any sounds that have been trending in 2020. Terribly disappointed that a SYNTH company wouldn't release the sounds that their PAYING customers would want.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
GrandMasterKorg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
I bought Nexus 3 and was really disappointed to hear it didn't have any Ambient Modular DAW-Less Jam sounds.

That’s not true. Here you have your Ambient sound expansion for Nexus 3.

https://refx.com/nexus/expansion/stratosphere/

It’s called „Stratosphere“.

Could you explain what you mean with DAW less, because Nexus is running as a plug-in inside a DAW.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAW-Less jams are a style of music made without the aid of a DAW, usually live and direct to analogue tape. It brings with it a certain compositional style, tone and vibe.

I tried recreating the style with Nexus 3, but it fell short. Do they have no idea how trendy and in-vogue this style of music is? How will I musically satiate my succulents?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
GrandMasterKorg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry, but you are maybe wrong here in this forum. This is not a Nexus forum and I am not a Nexus user and can not give you support about this.

This forum is for Korg User, the thread is about Kronos. I am a Kronos owner and user and I love this Instrument.

Korg Kronos is a music production workstation and the Korg libraries cover different fields of musical styles, but the question was, why modern musical styles are so much underrepresented in the libraries supply field. The answer was already given by me.

I called Nexus just as an example, because the variety of different and modern style sound expansions is very high here. Maybe you missed my point again. Sad but true.

While Korg Kronos is clearly a music production workstation, and every user has the right to demand for modern music style libraries (which are available but underrepresented) Nexus is clearly a PC and DAW based tool, and no user can demand for DAW less production on it. That would be just stupid. Are you?

You try to make a joke, but it is a poor joke, because you are running out of good arguments.

That’s again sad, but true.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I’ve hardly made any arguments. I have plenty more Smile

There are thousands of musical styles. There are infinite permutations of elements and variables that comprise a song, and the aspects of a song or sound that could be considered style.

I agree that the collection of sound libraries for the Kronos doesn’t do a great job of representing particular modern musical styles and genres, particularly EDM. It does a great job of representing other modern musical styles, like ambient electronic, which are also very popular. But my point was that no instrument or VST or sound library or manufacturer can represent or cater for every musical genre. If they could, there wouldn’t be thousands of different instruments and VSTs and sample libraries.

Nexus 3, as in your example, does a great job of representing some genres, and a port job of representing others. That’s not a negative judgement, it’s just the way it goes. Why should we expect the Kronos to cater for a particular musical genre any more than I should expect Nexus 3 or a Motif or a Roland workstation to cater for a particular and specific genre?

What the Kronos does allow you to do - which is what it’s primary intention is - is to create new sounds and arrangements.

GrandMasterKorg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
There are thousands of musical styles. I agree that the collection of sound libraries for the Kronos doesn’t do a great job of representing modern musical styles and genres. Nexus 3, as in your example, does a great job of representing some (these) genres.

Thank you for your kind reply and that you agree with me.

SeedyLee wrote:
What the Kronos does allow you to do - which is what it’s primary intention is - is to create new sounds and arrangements.

But may I am allowed to draw your attention to this statement, made by the company "Purgatory Creek" a famous 3rd party synth sound developer:

burningbusch wrote:
Nexus ... was built for creating dance music. The Kronos was not. I have tried recreating sounds on the Kronos similar to what you find in Nexus, but it's not particularly easy nor are the results as good.

For example, the Kronos does not have a supersaw function which is critical to that sound. Nexus has a trance gate that's easily accessible and editable. The Kronos does not. I looked at that Complextro 1 patch (demoed above). It has 13 layers and each layer has its own arpeggiator. Now how they created that complex dubstep bass line in Nexus is a bit odd. Normally, you would create the complex modulations in a DAW. Could you do this with KARMA? Possibly, but it would require a lot of work. The Kronos does not have a simple arp function.

It tells me, that the Kronos, while it is a synth workstation, has some limitations in terms of synthesizing specific sounds.

The good thing is, that - although I love my Kronos - I don't need to rely completely on it, since I still additionally have my beloved Access Virus TI.-

And BTW ...

How do you like my Kronos and Virus Performance?

https://youtu.be/DTLT-OlWCyA
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great performance, and a nice setup you have there! The Virus TI is an awesome synth.

Out of curiosity, how many soundpacks has Access released for the Virus to cover modern genres?

I spent an hour playing around with the AL1 and MS20 engines on the Kronos last night, as well as some HD1 samples and modulated effects. I was able to get pretty close to some of the demo sounds for Nexus 3 without a lot of difficulty.

GrandMasterKorg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind reply, and many greetings from cold Germany to wonderful warm Australia.

SeedyLee wrote:
Out of curiosity, how many soundpacks has Access released for the Virus to cover modern genres?

The Access Virus TI is itself a huge sound package for modern sounds of the EDM genre. The synth contains many banks with different categories of cool and crazy bass, pluck, pad, lead, drum, drone or even dynamic moving sounds.

I was searching the net right now and I found this company has a lot of electronic, Ambient, EDM sounds available for the Virus.

https://www.adsrsounds.com/synth/virus-ti/

But since it is every easy to tweak the existing patches using the controller interface, via all the knobs and sections of the synth, I never had the urge to buy sounds for the Virus.

SeedyLee wrote:
I spend an hour playing around with the AL1 and MS20 engines on the Kronos last night, as well as some HD1 samples and modulated effects. I was able to get pretty close to some of the demo sounds for Nexus 3 without a lot of difficulty

I believe you are a very experienced Kronos sound programmer. I want to use some YouTube tutorials for Kronos, because for me, the Kronos is very complex and sometimes too difficult. I have of sure a lot of unused potential of the synth that I have explore.

Combinations, arpeggiator (Kronos), synth engines, FX processor are not as easy as in the Virus TI.
AtinDallas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of the Nexus3 before but can you play chords on the left hand side like on the arrangers?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtinDallas wrote:
Never heard of the Nexus3 before but can you play chords on the left hand side like on the arrangers?

No, it doesn't work like that, it’s purely a synth with an arpeggiator.

Regards
Sharp.
AtinDallas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
AtinDallas wrote:

No, it doesn't work like that, it’s purely a synth with an arpeggiator.

Regards
Sharp.

Thank you Sharp!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: