Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minilogue XD vs Prologue- Your Thoughts? (Exhchanging)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Minilogue XD vs Prologue- Your Thoughts? (Exhchanging) Reply with quote

Hey guys. I do love the sound of this Mini XD. There are a number of features I wish it had though, that I think are solved by the Prologue, including that I'm a trained keyboard player and love a full sized keyboard. My plan is to return this and get a Prologue.

How do you feel about the two? Do you have much experience with the Prologue? Anything you prefer about the sound of the Mini XD?

Thank you for any replies.
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd never exchange my MiniXD for a Prologue because the sequencing/motion sequencing is too killer on the XD to lose entirely with the Prologue. Prologue is like a Juno with its scaled-back features but good analog sound, MiniXD is almost like a monotimbral analog groovebox. IMO you don't get enough back on the Pro for what you lose, including the XD's superior FX routing.

Only exception is if you're a true keyboard player; I'm more of a producer so consider that. You should have definite feelings for one over the other though.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehighesttree wrote:
Personally I'd never exchange my MiniXD for a Prologue because the sequencing/motion sequencing is too killer on the XD to lose entirely with the Prologue. Prologue is like a Juno with its scaled-back features but good analog sound, MiniXD is almost like a monotimbral analog groovebox. IMO you don't get enough back on the Pro for what you lose, including the XD's superior FX routing.

Only exception is if you're a true keyboard player; I'm more of a producer so consider that. You should have definite feelings for one over the other though.

I had considered the Prologue before getting the Minilogie XD and Minilogie XD module. Price-wise, the Proglogue 8 would have cheaper than getting the Minilogue XD and the XD Module.

I think that the Minilogie XD has a few features that are not on the Prologue. I think the digital oscillator is not on the Prologue (but I could be wrong).

I am not worried about key size, as I can play as easily on the Minilogue as I can my full-sized key counterparts live. I play both in the studio and live with a band(s), and the smaller key size never really bothers me.

They sure crammed a lot of stuff in the Minilogue and for the price, one would have a hard time finding anything comparable Smile

Another point to consider: MIDI is a wonderful thing and you can always hook up the Minilogue to a full-size key keyboard and do the same things... in fact, as part of a layer of synths, MIDIing the Minilogue XD to another synth is SOP... especially if you have the module and use the Minilogue XD and XD module together for 8 voice poly...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both have the digital oscillator, but I think only the XD allows you to use all 3 FX slots (Mod, Reverb and Delay) simultaneously. I'm honestly shocked they decided to strip the sequencing functions from the Prologue because IMO they're essential to making the other 'logue machines what they are.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehighesttree wrote:
They both have the digital oscillator, but I think only the XD allows you to use all 3 FX slots (Mod, Reverb and Delay) simultaneously. I'm honestly shocked they decided to strip the sequencing functions from the Prologue because IMO they're essential to making the other 'logue machines what they are.

That's what it was. The Minilogue allows for the three EFX to be used at the same time.

In any case, I can see uses for both machines. If I were worried only about the keybed size, then maybe I would have sprung for the Prologue. But since I MIDI almost everything together, the size did not worry me.

I am in the thinking process on the Wavestate and OPSix. I know that their boards do not have 61 keys, but thru MIDI, I can still use them and they do not take up much real estate in the studio and live.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent poster mentioned that he felt the FX routing is better on the XD than on the Prologue. Why is that?

It seems like a lot of people feel the XD is wonderful for sequencing, the Prologue more for those who play a lot of live keyboard parts. I think I would enjoy the extra voices available in Prologue 16.

I wonder, if you can have 16 voice polyphony, why not make a synth with four oscillators? Or more?

Last edited by PlasticLoveDoll on Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you guys about MIDI. I used to have a nice setup with my Triton Extreme, Motif 7, a module, and just a MIDI Sport 2x2. Now I'm trying to manage just with my Korg M3 and any modules or small synths like the Mini XD, into the RME interface. I have to reroute when I want to record, since the Minilogue XD doesn't have MIDI thru. I wish it did.

Is there a MIDI interface you guys recommend? Something that will let me handle all this. I am especially looking for an interface that will let me control multiple modules from one keyboard. For now the M3, soon the Kronos. Thanks so much for any suggestions.

P.S. I hope to find one that works independently of my computer, when I just want to play and edit patches; so, something not dependent on software drivers to route MIDI. Thank you again.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:
I totally agree with you guys about MIDI. I used to have a nice setup with my Triton Extreme, Motif 7, a module, and just a MIDI Sport 2x2. Now I'm trying to manage just with my Korg M3 and any modules or small synths like the Mini XD, into the RME interface. I have to reroute when I want to record, since the Minilogue XD doesn't have MIDI thru. I wish it did.

Is there a MIDI interface you guys recommend? Something that will let me handle all this. I am especially looking for an interface that will let me control multiple modules from one keyboard. For now the M3, soon the Kronos. Thanks so much for any suggestions.

P.S. I hope to find one that works independently of my computer, when I just want to play and edit patches; so, something not dependent on software drivers to route MIDI. Thank you again.

I have not looked in a LONG time for a MIDI interface, since most of them now need to interface with a computer in order to really work well.

With that said, I still use a JL Cooper Nexus 3x8 MIDI patch bay. It allows for 3 MIDI ins and 8 MIDI outs. I also have a couple of MIDI solutions MIDI Thru boxes in the mix for different gear in the lineup.

There are some great used standalone units out there, depending on what you are looking for.

A MIDI Thru box might work well for you too. MIDI Solutions makes 2 port, 4 port and 8 port units (the 8 port is a rack unit). I believe these to be better than using the MIDI Thru jacks on the synths although I have never had a problem with my Ensoniq unit's MIDI Thru ports...

I know that Roland had some MIDI patch bays and MIDI Thru boxes, as did Casio. Kawai had the MAV 8 which was quite good. Akai had some as well that were digitally controlled. Peavey had one too. Ensoniq may have had the most extensive offerings with both 8 and 16 port MIDI patch bays.

Grace,
Harry
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent man, thank you! So these MIDI standalone units and thru boxes, they allow you to MIDI in with one controller, and potentially MIDI out to many modules / synths?

That's what I'm looking for.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:
Excellent man, thank you! So these MIDI standalone units and thru boxes, they allow you to MIDI in with one controller, and potentially MIDI out to many modules / synths?

That's what I'm looking for.

Yes - here is the link to the MIDI Solutions T8 8-port unit:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodt8.htm

I have not used this one, but was considering getting it once. I realized that I did not need it. Frankly, the only MIDI issues I ever had with running the MIDI Thru jacks on other MIDI gear were with Roland. Roland seemed to have issues with some of their older gear with latency. The problem now with some synths is that many of them do not have a MIDI Thru jack unless you get something high-end. The need for the MIDI Thru boxes takes care of this Smile

I am pretty sure that JL Cooper does not make the Nexus anymore and the last one I bought was used off of eBay, but in mint condition.

Any of the Ensoniq stuff will be used, as Ensoniq is no longer business. The other companies switched to units that interface with computers. The MIDI Thru boxes are the only ones I know of that do not need a computer to work.

Grace,
Harry
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful and much appreciated, thank you Harry. A good MIDI unit should be able to act as a Thru box anyway, right? Like I remember my MIDI sport did, there was a switch that toggled it.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
thehighesttree wrote:

I had considered the Prologue before getting the Minilogie XD and Minilogie XD module. Price-wise, the Proglogue 8 would have cheaper than getting the Minilogue XD and the XD Module.

I think that the Minilogie XD has a few features that are not on the Prologue. I think the digital oscillator is not on the Prologue (but I could be wrong).

I am not worried about key size, as I can play as easily on the Minilogue as I can my full-sized key counterparts live. I play both in the studio and live with a band(s), and the smaller key size never really bothers me.

They sure crammed a lot of stuff in the Minilogue and for the price, one would have a hard time finding anything comparable Smile

Another point to consider: MIDI is a wonderful thing and you can always hook up the Minilogue to a full-size key keyboard and do the same things... in fact, as part of a layer of synths, MIDIing the Minilogue XD to another synth is SOP... especially if you have the module and use the Minilogue XD and XD module together for 8 voice poly...

Grace,
Harry

Harry, you are quite correct, and thanks for the excellent info / opinions. I have been wiring the XD in a MIDI chain to get a fatter sound, and control it with full size keys from my M3 as you suggested and love it. My only regret is that for use with my DAW, Logic Pro X, the XD doesn't seem to be able to function as a MIDI thru. I can control it from the M3, but it won't pass the signal through to let me also play VSTs when I want to. This means I have to rewire it every time I want to switch from live playing to recording in Logic. I wish the Mini XD had a software function to let MIDI Out function as MIDI Thru.

I had a cheap Roland VA synth, the SH32, that did exactly that.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:
Musicwithharry wrote:
thehighesttree wrote:

Grace,
Harry

Harry, you are quite correct, and thanks for the excellent info / opinions. I have been wiring the XD in a MIDI chain to get a fatter sound, and control it with full size keys from my M3 as you suggested and love it. My only regret is that for use with my DAW, Logic Pro X, the XD doesn't seem to be able to function as a MIDI thru. I can control it from the M3, but it won't pass the signal through to let me also play VSTs when I want to. This means I have to rewire it every time I want to switch from live playing to recording in Logic. I wish the Mini XD had a software function to let MIDI Out function as MIDI Thru.

I had a cheap Roland VA synth, the SH32, that did exactly that.

Yeah, unforunately, a lot of the gear today does not have a 'soft' MIDI thru option from the MIDI Out port. I had an Alesis that did and it really made things work well.

A MIDI patchbay is really the way to go, because instead of rewiring a synth(s), you flip a switch and change the 'from' signal by that switch.

With all of my mixers and sheer number of synths I have, I have mad to make printouts of all of the mixer assignments. I also have one for the MIDI patchbay so I know what is going on in my studio...

Grace,
Harry
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I have commented before about the Minilogue and Prologue.

Upon further consideration, I think that the Prologue would be much better for live playing and the Minilogue is better suited for sequencing and such.

While I can function fine on the smaller keys of the Minilogue, having the full-size keys would be really nice. Additionally, having 8 voices (or 16) in one box is really nice.

There are advantages to both, I guess, and depending on what you are using it for, one or the other would be fine.

I am not against the smaller keybeds. I also have a Yamaha Reface CP and Reface YC. When using these live, I find it VERY easy to simply MIDI the CP (electric piano) to the existing setup and get those great EP tones in the CP. When I MIDI the YC (organ), I find that it is 1 octave lower than what I am actually playing on my 88-key unit (Korg Kross). This makes it not usable for me in a MIDI setup and I have to play it live from the keyboard. My next step is to MIDI the YC to another board that I use live so I can have the bigger keys. With COVID still hindering much of what I do live, it is not on the front burner as of yet...

Grace,
Harry
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, unforunately, a lot of the gear today does not have a 'soft' MIDI thru option from the MIDI Out port. I had an Alesis that did and it really made things work well.

A MIDI patchbay is really the way to go, because instead of rewiring a synth(s), you flip a switch and change the 'from' signal by that switch.

With all of my mixers and sheer number of synths I have, I have mad to make printouts of all of the mixer assignments. I also have one for the MIDI patchbay so I know what is going on in my studio...

Grace,
Harry

Harry, thanks so much for responding. So, with a patchbay I could route from my M3 to control several modules at once? So, one input with my main controller, several outputs?

Which one do you use?

Thank you again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: